1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cRaZy cLuEs on ROCKET!!!'s trade trail

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But Ming's a smart player from everything we've read and he's humble. And of course he's much much much much taller! And of course you love those tall mens so ... how can you say you'd take Brand?! Say it ain't so Dakota! :D

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one has quoted that big @ss post in any of their replies... good job BBS'ers!!
    :p

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Why would the Clippers trade Brand? They want Jay Williams because they think he can be the final piece to the puzzle. Without Brand, there is no puzzle. Brand's not going anywhere, let's be realistic.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said CONSIDER not that I would pull the trigger.

:)

Of course the reason for my considering it is that Odom is a nice complimentary player with a decent upside and a VERY suspect background, while Brand is a legitamate all star with an impecable background.

One of the biggest problems with the Rockets is that they are not professionals, and do not play with maturity, Brand does.

By the way, so does Ming.

:)

DaDakota

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

C-Ming, Cato, Collier
    PF-Taylor, KT, TMo
    SF-Griffin, Rice, Filler
    SG-Mobley, #15, Torres
    PG-Francis, Norris, Filler

I really like that starting 5, but I think some trades involving KT, Rice, or Collier could get us a sweet deal.
    People want to Trade Ming for more "established" players.
    Charlotte traded Kobe Bryant for "established" players.
    Let's not be Charlotte. Draft Ming

Playoffs 02-03

6. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<b>thacabbage:</b> good to see you ... I'm with you on that...

... but, I think the logic might be that since Falk (Brand's, Kandi's agent) said they'd be looking at what the Clippers did with Odom to determine if they would go elsewhere or not, and if the Clippers stay true to their past form of being cheap, then, trading for Rice's soon expiring contract, picking up the top talent in this draft, along with an economical up and coming PF, and backup C, while getting rid of potentially ugly salary negotiations and max contracts, then perhaps it does make sense.

Of course, now, Alexander would be picking up some big contracts, himself. I wonder how much luxury tax he's willing to pay to get a championship team on court, having to pay Francis, Brand and Odom max contracts?

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sherlock!:eek:

8. tariq

tariq Member

Trading the #1 pick for a previous #1 (Brand) is not bad. The guy is legit!

However, I would send Slomile Swift to the Clips instead of Kenny Thomas.

Rocket!!!, if you are reading - tell this to CD and RT.

I would admit that I would rather see Ming on this team than another team, especially if he lives up to the hype!

-Tariq

9. Darth West

Darth West Member

Gasol was our PF this year so Taylor sure isnt an upgrade ... considering that Battier is more of a natural 3 then 2 I expect Gasol to continue at 4 ... why change something that worked so well ... Gasol is actually a better fit at 4 since his post game sure is more impressive then his range ... maybe that will change someday but that should take a few years ...

Not really ... the main reason for us sucking so bad this year is that we lost Dickerson for the whole year ... we had one player that was fit to start at the 2 and 3 and this was Battier and even he cant start at 2 positions at the same time ... ;) ... Another reason for us not beeing able trade Battier has to do with his defense and the fact that he already as a rookie is a leader ... I might be a homer but I consider Battier to be consideably more worth then Taylor ...

Once again I might be a homer but I wouldn't dream about trading Swift for Morris ... Swift actually came along nicely at the end of season and we hope that he will continue to develop and carry more value next year ... I guess its the same thing as with Griffin ... Huston fans consider him very valuable because of his potential rather then on what he has accomplished ...

I am not sure I would trade the #4 for #8/12/15, but then again if the chooise was mine I might... why? ... We need a center or a SG/SF ... and it might be very difficult to find such a player at #8/12/15 ... I sure dont expect Butler or Dunleavy to still be there, btw aren't sort of all players still available at 8-15 PF's ... sure feels like it at least ... Anyway we arent looking for rookie(s) with potential according to West but rather a rookie that can contribute in his rookie season ... As for more depth sure we need it but next years linup will look like this:

1 - Williams, Knight
    2 - Dickerson
    3 - Battier, #4 (Butler in my dreams)
    4 - Gasol, Swift
    5 - Wright

I would be happy to see that lineup for a year ... lets face it we would get 2 players added to last years lineup since Dickerson was lost the whole year ...

In conclusion ... if Gasol would have been our SF it might have made sense but he is our PF, in fact he plays more at 5 then 3, but now it doesnt ...and no offense but I still would consider it a horrible trade for us ... :p

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hey, maybe Brand would light a fire under Cato, too. ;)

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

After reading all of that(yes, I actually read all of that), these are the main points that interest me.

1. Krause really loves Ming and is willing to give up Curry and #2 to get him.

2. The Clippers covet Jay Williams. They like him enough that they apparently are willing to give up Brand for him.

3. Jerry West wants multiple picks and from other reports I've read, he really likes Dunleavy and Butler. Thus, Battier is expendable.

Taking to account all of that information, this would be my attempt at dreamcasting.

Rockets send #1(Yao Ming), #15, Eddie Griffin, KT, Glen Rice
    Rockets receive Elton Brand, Eddy Curry, Shane Battier
    (Lineup: Curry, Brand, Battier, Mobley, Francis)

Chicago sends Eddy Curry, #2
    Chicago receives #1(Yao Ming), #8(Tskiti or Woods)
    (Lineup: Ming, Chandler, Woods/Tskiti, Rose, Crawford)

LAC send Elton Brand, #8, #12
    LAC receive Jay Williams, Eddie Griffin, Glen Rice
    (Lineup: Kandi, Griffin, Odom, Richardson, Williams)

Memphis sends Shane Battier
    Memphis receives KT, #12(Hilario, Amare, or Borchardt), #15(Nachbar, Welsch, or Rush)
    (Lineup: Wright, KT, Gasol, Butler, Williams)

12. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Okay,

First off......

Sherlock,

D@@@@@@MMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice digging.

Well, there it is.

Just remember......

curve balls, curve balls boys.

Now just which players and teams are REALLY in the mix?

Hummmmmmm.......

By the way Sherlock are you really a sleuth or just a stalker????:D

GATOR,

What's up? Oh, and yes I have been both lurking and LMAO!;)

Check the Who's online from time to time. LOL: :D

To both,
    Thanks for the props, but this is not mine. Just info. Now the trick is if it comes through. All disclaimers still stand.

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

ROTFLMAO!

Okay Rocket!!!, when are you going to tell your posse that you're screwing w/ everyone? :D

You had me too, I admit. But reading Sherlock's post lays out your intuition as plain as day.

Hmmm I think we should get Brand, wouldn't that be cool.

Hmmm, (much later) sources (whoa sources!) say we'll do everything I've been fantasy gming for for some time now (read that as either I was trying to protect the team or now I'm bored w/ your trade proposals and I've decided to play big boy too).

Ooh, look, they're paying attention to pwetty wittle me now.

It was fun, I admit. But... uhhhh.... look at the time!

screw you guys, I'm going on a bike ride...

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

ROCKET!!! was LHAO at all our dumb posts, trying to figure this thing out.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Great post, Sherlock. Just one thing: please give more sight to Griffin (he has two "i's"). It is NOT Griffen. He is one of Houston's future stars. We can at least spell his name right. Thanks.

16. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Achebe,
    Okay, if you say so.:)

ROXTXIA,
    Just laughing at Sherlock's unbelievable digging. Amazing!

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Cmon Rocket!!!! tell us something.

Also, has Garnett been talked about any more

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

ROCKET!!! -

I'm just trying to figure out who else besides Danny Ainge, Micheal Jordan and I that have trouble with curve balls. :D

19. Darth West

Darth West Member

Have to disagree with a few ot these points ...

1 - I still belive that Chicago wants Jay Williams and therefore they sure wouldnt give up Curry for Ming ... I also belive that Chicago are happy at #2 where they will be able to pick one of Jay Williams, Ming and Dunleavy ...

2 - The rumours about giving up Brand only exists on this board and I havent heard anything about it anywhere else ... There are rumors about Odom everywhere but lets face it Brand is the heart of the Clippers so I doubt he is available ... after all keeping Brand is their only hope for playoffs and playoffs means money ...

3 - Jerry West does indeed seem to like Dunleavy and Butler, or at least Memphis fans do, however I expect both to be long gone at #8 thus we cant trade down ... Battier would only be expendable if we get both of them and there is no way thats possible ... also why give up on Battier after his rookie year? ... he is exactly they player type we need ...

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You may be right on all counts or we may all believe we know what the GMs of each team want. Krause might really want Ming. Chicago might have worked it all out in advance...we should have a great shot at Ming...then BAM!, this happens, Houston gets the top pick.

If I were the Clips, I wouldn't mention trading Brand, either. As usual, all players are "untouchable" until a deal is almost done. Keeping Brand and Kandi? Depends on Sterling and his pocketbook: "Hmn, trade'em: I wanted to buy that Picasso at Sotheby's next week."

One thing, though: some of the trades bandied about here are too one-sided. New Jack at least has the right idea: to get a combo of Brand (or) Odom and Kandi (or) Curry (plus the #8/#12), we gotta give up the #1 and Eddie (or) Cuttino.