1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 and James are the most talented backcourt in history.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Nov 22, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

On no list anywhere in America outside of Houston will Chris Paul ever be ranked ahead of Steph Curry when their careers are done. Harden has at least a shot to be but it's extremely doubtful. People here hate Steph, but there's no reason to underrate his place in history. Before Durant got to the Warriors he was the best player on the best team ever. Since Durant got there when Curry sits out the Warriors are mediocre. When Durant sits out they don't miss a beat. Curry is the best player on the Warriors and they are the best team ever.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Could be that Stephen is built like a middle school kid and playing in a league of men. While Harden and CP3 are built like mini tanks.

Also Klay has been very disappointing these past 2 seasons.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Steph will never be a top player in nba history. He has 0 finals MVPs and if Durant leaves this summer he will have 0 for his career. People love him cuz he’s fun to watch and one of the greatest heat check players of all time. But to say he’s a top 10 player all time is insane. Who’s he going to bump from this list? In no order.

Jordan
    Lebron
    Magic
    Bird
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Russell
    Duncan

Is he even better than
    Kobe
    Dirk
    Durant
    Malone
    KG
    West
    Oscar
    Wade
    Dr J

He’s not even the best player on his own team. He’s got a ways to go and I really thinks Durant is leaving this year to end the GS dynasty.

I used to hate James Harden but watching the two play James Harden is a better player than Curry. No one will ever agree until he wins a ring, but teams matter and Curry has a much better supporting cast.

Klay Thompson has to be one of the most overrated players in nba history. No consistency to his game. He has just as many single digit scoring games as he has 30 pt games. He’s not an elite defender, can’t create shots, and he’s only good like 1 every five games. The gap between CP3 and Klay is soo large if it was Jordan and Klay the Rockets would still have a better back court.

#23 RHU525, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Houstunna likes this.
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

After KD, CP3 was the second best player in last years WCF. History may say different in 20 years but I know what I saw. People would never believe that Dream was the best player on the floor when facing MJ’s Bulls, and he is the only player who truly intimidated MJ but history may say different. Doesn’t change what I saw.

jcf likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know, yet it is more intimidating with a 6'10-7ft Hakeem against a 6'6 Jordan.

Imagine a 6'0 player intimidating a 6'10 Durant.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. seeingred

seeingred Member

I think the Paul/Harden vs Curry debate has a lot to do with when you started watching ball. Paul and Harden are playmaker/scorers that would be great in any era. Curry is the perfect player to take advantage of the modern NBA. With handchecking he'd be relegated to Reggie Miller without the defense status.

7. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I love the rockets as much as anyone in here , but you must not watch Steph / Thompson. That’s the best backcourt of all time..
    hands down. They have the rings to prove it too.. having said that, Fck them punannies

Homey the Clown and daywalker02 like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The fact that Harden and CP3 can go toe to toe with 4 all stars and still GSW says they needed another finals MVP to make up the difference is all the explanation I need.

History will give CP3 his due but Harden will be crimnally underrated.

Koperboy, HP3, justtxyank and 5 others like this.
  9. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

TLDR. I liked OPs post just for the title of the thread

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cp3 plus harden is better than kd plus curry
    lol they even better than curry kd dray and klay
    we saw that last year

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

if CP3 was in his prime you'd have a case, but since he's not this statement is simply not true. Getting steals does not mean someone is good at defense. nor does any past awards. Michael jordan plus any of his guards is better than those two, that's for sure. Kobe bryant plus derick fischer. and there are more. don't get me wrong, i'm a rocket fan and love both of them. but please. all time? seriously?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure in here but out there they have the refs on their sides and they win championships.

If I am the GM and they tell me 'You have better players but the refs dun like them or they won't win many ships'.

You take the duo or trio that wins the most ships.

13. basketballholic

That's a mouthful to say, OP. But I agree with you.

jcf and BaselineFade like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Steph is better than Kobe on that list and he is for sure better than Durant. Just look at GSW last year when KD was injured all season and GSW this year when Steph is out. Curry isn't just "fun to watch" he is a career 44% 3pt shooter that is insane Ray Allen for example is only 40% 3 pt shooter for his entire career and how many shooters are better than Ray Allen? Its not just the accuracy its also the length of the shot Curry is the master spacer his opponent has to guard him so far back it opens up the court for everyone so you don't just look at his individual performance which is already great you also look at how he makes scoring easier for everyone on his team. Same with Harden, I think Harden also belongs up there maybe not top 10 but surely in the top 20 he is also better than Kobe imho.

I do agree that strictly backcourt then Paul and Harden are no 1. But in reality no 1 backcourt should be Jordan and Pippen since Pippen essentially played PG and their pgs played 3nD sf role like Paxson, Kerr, Kukoc etc.

Not_KDs_Burner and HP3 like this.
  15. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe and Fischer? Come on man. Jordan and BJ Armstrong or Kerr. No way are they better tandems, even at Paul’s age. Jordan and Kobe were on a different level. I acknowledge that. But as a duo you can’t just take any scrub guard and make up the difference. I said that they need a ring or 2 two change the perception, but just off of pure talent I have never seen a better backcourt twosome.

16. jcmoon

if they are a better back court, that would mean they could beat those two 2-on-2. They would get destroyed.

17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to see that match up. CP and Jsmes would just crowd them defensively. Offensively it would be EASY for James or Chris. Did you not watch the WCF? Who would Steph guard?

18. jcmoon

who mentioned steph? i said jordan and kobe. LOL

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Debatable. If they are playing streetball 3 vs 3 or 2 vs 2.

There are other names who are better at this. Skip 2 my Lou for example. Others that may have never made it to organized basketball.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if they are the best why they needed durant dray AND refs to bail them out in wcf?

Houstunna and BaselineFade like this.