1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

But 'indefinitely' is a non answer. Do you see NBA NEVER returning? I suspect not. So, you have some time frame in mind for 'foreseeable future'.

It IS more lethal than the flu, but it's not 6%. Even the given statistics aren't that high, and none of those statistics count all those people who actually had it but never sought medical treatment. It's probably somewhere around 1%, which is quite a bit higher than the flu, but pretty relevant for the discussion we're having. For people like professional athletes (the opposite end of those at risk), it's probably very similar to the flu. Which brings us to...
    Exactly. Not only COVID-19, but any potential new, but unknown virus outbreak.

Yes, but testing is improving, and would lower the risk of what is already a lower risk group to start with. If the argument was 'we should not start until sufficient testing is available', I would buy into that.

The power of $$$. It's a very small population, and the argument would be that the country needs its sports to return to normal.

[qote]I don’t see any sports occurring until we get a vaccine/treatment or we see natural declines in the infection rate due to developed immunity again reinfection in the population (the immunity against repeat infection for COVID hasn’t been established).[/QUOTE]

I do, but as I said whether/when they do it with fans is a separate issue. I think they'll start with greatly reduced attendance and see how it goes.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I do, but as I said whether/when they do it with fans is a separate issue. I think they'll start with greatly reduced attendance and see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I purposely didn’t give a time frame because that is unknown. The virus gets large say on when things return to normal. Will the NBA eventually return? Yes. Will that be anytime within the next 6 months to a year? Hard to say but in my opinion, I’d say it’s unlikely.

You make a good point about the death statistics not being as high as shown with the limited amount of tests but let’s remember that even 1% of 300 million is a lot of people. It’s been estimated that around 20% of those afflicted require hospitalization. Those kinds of numbers overwhelm the medical system. Keep in mind that COVID isn’t happening in a bubble. Hospitals still have to deal with other chronic conditions and serious accidents. That’s the main reason behind the shelter in place.

I don’t see the return of any large scale entertainment events until the virus naturally declines or we have some kind of treatment. Testing is important but that’s just one component of the pie.

You could argue sports are a necessary distraction but you’d likely lose that argument. The players would likely be fine but the players are a small slice of the pie. You have to consider all the people they expose themselves to and the people exposed to those people. For certain groups, like the military, it is a necessary risk. For sports, I don’t think the same argument can be made. I also think a lot of players would call BS on returning before this thing settles down, regardless of them being “low risk”.

We’ll see how it all will shake out but I wouldn’t expect the return of any sport any time soon.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

First, well thought out and presented posts.

We could continue discussing the various points, and I'm happy to do so given that the above, but I think we would likely still agree to disagree. I see sports returning within that time frame, although in exactly what form is unknown (with fans? W/O fans? limited attendance? pro vs college? etc). But the NFL for example is proceeding thinking the season will kick off on schedule...with or without fans. Too much $$$ at stake. College is similar, but gets more of its revenue from attendance, and also the risk/reward for players will likely be different...and they may get more pushback against games without fans as well.

I'm not sure about that. LOTS of people want to return to normal. Some might be skeptical for a couple months, as they see what happens, but fans by definition are fanatics. Fanatics don't really weigh risk reward, they just want what they want. Precisely the same reason owners can treat them like crap, and yet they still keep attending.

Outside of the players, none of the other groups really have prolonged close personal contact. So, if its ok for the players, it should be ok for the others.

I'm sure some of them will. But when confronted with playing or getting paid, which do you think most will pick? Their concerns will be factored in in an aggregate fashion, but for those that are still 'outliers', they will have to face the above question.

Yes, we will. I expect sports to start returning in a few months, depending on how things go (obviously, if there is another large 'surge', that pushes things out. But they have event talked about playing in very limited areas, where there isn't much of a surge..and would also help with the quarantining of the players. There is a LOT of momentum towards getting sports back. I think it will happen this fall at the latest.

5. amaru

amaru Member

One key thing I forgot to include in my previous post is that we are likely to experience multiple waves of COVID-19. A sudden spike in infection rates and hospitalizations would shut down any event hoping to return.

daywalker02, B-Bob and BigDog63 like this.
  6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's true. Another big wave would push everything out. Although still could potentially have no fans games depending on testing, sentiment, etc. I think we'll know a lot more about what the course of events might be in the next month or two.

amaru likes this.
  7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

does this mean the rockets' championship for 2019-2020 has an *asterisk? we all know the rockets would have won this season, but now we have 3 asterisk championships that the media will never let us forget.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just as the Celts and Lakers hoarded Allstars and ships throughout the past, they are the real mafia in this WWE. ;)

Jontro likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA can go the college football route for this season. Do a poll and just crown the team that is ranked highest. Then everybody would know how lame the so-called college football champions were over so many years.

Jontro likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...turning-to-facilities-despite-state-clearance

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/8/21251793/nba-reopening-chatter

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Forfeit HC and road games, pick a secluded place.

You should only travel if you have to.

Better be a PP2 or 3 one, but they are harder to breath with.

#315 daywalker02, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Easy likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Makes it harder to complain at the officials.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Don't think anyone wants to play.

Jontro likes this.
  20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

New York (state) extends stay home till June 15th

NBA will not be coming back. MLB won’t happen and NFL will have a dumb plan that ends poorly.