1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If I were dealing with wild boars in Europe, I'd be mostly freaked out about the radioactive ones.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/24/...ech-republic-central-europe-germany-chernobyl

:eek:

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm in Austin too, and seasonal allergies have always bothered me here (well more in the last 10 years), but I've been in the area since ~92 (when my family moved from Houston). Anyway... so I'm taking the antihistamines and was even taking flonase, but now with this virus... It's a mess here, like I can't be sure if people are sick or just allergies. So even though flonase is a weak steroid I cut back on it. Just in case... I mean if I get stuffy I'll use it again but trying to limit it. Fortunately I don't have asthma but my wife does...

How have your allergies been? And I definitely agree this isn't a joke, we need to watch it over the next weeks and into April at a min to see. SXSW still going is absurd.

3. Buck Turgidson

Are you a doc or a vet or something?

Texas is totally overrun with feral pigs, you literally cannot kill enough of them (it's the only reason anyone should own an AR15 and such), they're destructive bastards. We're overpopulated with deer too, that's what causes many traffic accidents, people don't know to not swerve, instead of just putting the brakes on and if you hit the deer you hit the deer they end up rolling over on the side of the highway because they tried to miss it.

Brucellosis in pigs is about the only real disease concern we have (the aggies say it's approximately 1-in-10 pigs), so you're supposed to wear gloves when you butcher one. Cooking kills it, but if you have any cuts or scratches on your hands it transmits that way....apparently it's like getting the flu but 10X worse.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know what is going on in central Europe. The overpopulation of hybrids is a problem in southern Europe. For a Czech pig to come to southern Europe it will have to cross huge mountain ranges , the Alps the Pyrenees or Rhodope and mount Olympus.
    If you see a pig like that you should spare it and bring it to climb the Everest next.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

- if it was Ebola, sure... But this is different and quite concerning, these government officials are all over the place and even the cdc and WHO to an extent seem to be all over the place....

malakas likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Looking at a topography map there is definitely a pathway for boars to get from the Chernobyl area to Greece, they would have to head south along the black sea, then cross turkey and hug the Aegean coast. ;)

7. malakas

malakas Member

Yes I am.
    This is what happens with irresponsible farming. Now in Europe we have a new pest. In Texas the root should be the same, farms.

I won't tell you not to worry about Brucellosis but it's more at least here through goat and sheep milk, usually from farmers who milk their own or make their own cheese. I know many who have gotten it and it is not that horrible. Mostly high fever. Honestly I have never heard anyone who got brucellosis by eating wild pig meat.

Buck Turgidson and CCity Zero like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know what to tell you. There have been cases of fishermen going for fishes and finding boars swimming 5 miles into the Aegean sea but a radioactive pig here I haven't heard of. These mountains are also full of wolves and bears so good luck to the radioactive pigs.
    If they reach my stomach then I can only congratulate them for their trip.

CCity Zero and ThatBoyNick like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm going to need to start checking with some friends.. , I had some close peers in science that are Dr's now in various fields and ones even a director at a hospital... I'm also going to check - but I think I might have full research access on internal papers still too..

This is quickly becoming a huge concern. I'll share here if I can even get a hold of them, I'm sure they're slammed. I know ones in Chicago and the other in NY, I'm sure everyone has friends but maybe I can get some more info too... At this point I'd take their word over any of this BS limited reporting we're seeing.

malakas likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

The WHO hasn't even declared it officially a pandemic. Everyone knows it is but no..we have to think of the economy, and the Tokyo olympics.
    I never trusted the WHO from the start, they have already butchered too many outbreaks.

arkoe and CCity Zero like this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I was told to basically slam on brakes and speed up at last moment (if you can't prevent it) so they go under the car (sad but true), fixing your car/truck is a lot easier than seeing if you can survive a head on or rolling your car

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, the pattern is alarming

malakas likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes hopefully none reach you. It's sad to think about that impact for the other countries though. If America had a nuclear disaster that spoiled wild game hunting for centuries nuclear energy would probably be banned within a week lol.

malakas likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Huh, didn't think about the raw milk cheese situation. Interesting.

Cooking does kill it, I was talking about having to wear gloves while butchering the animal. I only know 1 buddy who got it, a healthy 20-something, and it knocked him on his ass for about 10 days....fever and sweats and general unhappiness.

I would like to add: thank you for helping me thoroughly derail this thread.

malakas likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah..my parents went through it. Noone ate any strawberries for 3 years.
    If it happened now in the information age, with the internet and social media and all the scientific knowledge..judging by what is happening now in Australia we would also have a 10 year deficiency of toilet paper.

Buck Turgidson and ThatBoyNick like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol the Australian toilet paper thing is so weird... one of the last things I'd be worried about hoarding. ThatBoyNick is not too prestigious to wash his ass with the water hoes.

malakas likes this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

Wearing gloves, a uniform and these things (bags?) in your boots is standard for visiting a slaughterhouse.
    And I recommend to anyone who slaughters wild animals to wear gloves this is the minimal protection.

It isn't real derailment. The coronavirus is a zoonotic disease. It happened in China but it can happen anywhere in the world where humans come into close contact with wild animals. Wearing gloves is the minimal you must do when handling the carcasss of wild animals.

CCity Zero and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Car? We drive trucks around here.

Only time "I hit" one was on the county dirt road about a mile from my ranch entrance, driving 15 mph. I saw her, I slowed down, and she proceeded to - not stop, not change course, nope - run headfirst at full speed into the front quarterpanel of the pickup. She was all crippled, so then I had to get out and shoot her. I was sad, I told her not to do it as she was doing it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh I meant to say, you're absolutely right, I saw some information from a I virologist stating the exact same thing and using examples like this. I don't know why we even let these talking puppets on the stage... We need to listen to the Drs/scientists that are in the know on how transmission works or at least have some understanding...

malakas likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member