1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Joshfast, B-Bob and arkoe like this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We just expanded travel screening from Italy and parts of South Korea 3 days ago despite rapid spread of the virus over there for weeks now. It was always a matter of when but definitely seems half assing things was and is an issue.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not all bats are bad.

B-Bob and ThatBoyNick like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

This cutiepie has probaby Rabies, Ebola and 50 coronaviruses in its mouth.

Bats are an amazing animal afterall. They carry so many viruses and they are healthy as a pig.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Most fruit bats are adorable.

[​IMG]

This one looks a lot like my chihuahua.

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Humans are a much worse animal, hard to hate lol.

7. malakas

malakas Member

South Korea has a 0.65% mortality rate.

Logically if say an average country can detect 1% of the actual cases (USA closer to 0%) South Korea can detect much higher than that ..maybe 30%?

They have absurd laws that don't care about any privacy or data protection and out the moves of every confirmed case with GPS and videos to the last detail to the public.

With good containment measures the spread of the virus will naturally halt and the RO will fall.

On the other hand the mortality rate will RISE in the next 2-3 weeks because most of the cases are still in the incubation or mild phase.

More or less it looks like the new virus is 5 to 8 times more lethal than influenza.*

*Influenza in the developed world. In other parts of the world influenza has a much higher mortality than 0.1%.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

I do not hate. But I will rather feed a wild bear than a bat at this point.

Scientifically bats are indeed amazing. No other animal carries so many viruses as a host and shows no symptoms.
    They say that it is because of flight.
    It is worth much more research.

CCity Zero and B-Bob like this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

How about this one?

10. Buck Turgidson

Actually, most pigs are incredibly healthy.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Bats kill pigs by the hundred of thousands through their viruses. How many bats have died by a pig?

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. Buck Turgidson

I have no idea what you're talking about. Most pigs are very healthy animals.

I've never said anything about bats, or the commingling of the two species.

14. malakas

malakas Member

oh..ok but that's why I used it in my analogy.
    Healthy as a pig.
    I thought it was a common phrase in the english language but maybe it is british english.

15. Buck Turgidson

I could be wrong, but the porcine liver is the closest thing to the human liver in the animal kingdom.

I do know that the liver is the first thing you check when you kill a pig, if there's any scarring or signs of parasites then you don't eat it.

malakas likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

The first thing is the colour of the blood. If it is black then you close everything down and order the whole farm to be slaughtered burned and burried and call the health ministry (anthrax).
    All farm animals are checked in the liver for parasites. Pigs, cows sheep and goats. Then you check also the armpits lymph nodes and the intestines.
    I have done it many times but the EU has different and stricter regulations so not sure of the procedure in the USA.
    i.e we don't allow hormone meat or milk to be sold.
    In reality not every animal ofc is checked before it gets the approval stamp you only do autopsy in samples

17. likestohypeguy

I see a little upside down Steph Curry, after a no-call.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

19. Buck Turgidson

I'm talking about wild pigs, btw. Farm/pen raised pigs are nasty (same with chickens and feedlot cows etc....). None of our cattle or goats or sheep get hormones or antibiotics or any of that crap; they're grass fed free range blah blah blah

The only parts of Texas that deal with anthrax are down in the Southwest around Uvalde up to around the Odessa area. Is that a problem in Greece?

20. malakas

malakas Member

Oh, wild. I only have done one autopsy in a wild boar in uni but the procedure is pretty much the same. Blood, liver, intestines, lymph nodes.
    I dont know about wild deer if there is specific spots you should look for (the liver check is pretty much standard in all animals especially for ruminants). There may be specific diseases in the american continent that we don't have here and vice versa.
    Anthrax is not much of a problem but it is ALWAYS in the top for first to be checked because of the immense risk to public health. And personal danger for anyone involved in the handling of animals.
    So if you begin to slaughter any animal wild or farm and see black blood immediately get away and call the authorities.
    Southern Europe is flooded with wild hybrid pigs/boars because of the irresponsible biological farming. They are so many (they have inherited the pigs genes and instead of birthing 2-3 a year they birth 8 and 9) that they are even living in the suburbs of metropolis like Madrid and Rome and cause many traffic accidents. They have become a pest and governments are actually commisioning people to cull them.