1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True, it varies by strain and community, but in most cases not like - @B-Bob small sample size example (I mean he even admits anecdotal), but with flu on average being R0 - 1.3 iirc on a typical flu season and this being all over the place @ 2-5... Time will tell if it just exponentially spikes.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the flu isn't contagious, I mean in the right environment it can be ****ing crazy

Yung-T, rockbox and malakas like this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is why I think it's staged, she's way too influential, but maybe with government system like that she's not above the insane political things over there. But her being able to help with other outbreaks makes me "hope" China wouldn't do this, but man China can be insane, so you definitely have a valid point

Nook and Yung-T like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They would have the market cornered in biological warfare if they ever wanted to weaponize all these illnesses. Scary thought.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I agree completely with you, until I see more datasets, I'm starting to question things immediately from high sources, I mean I always try to avoid confirmation bias (especially from random sources), but when the WHO and CDC are flip-flopping by the hour this gives me concern.

Exiled, Yung-T, malakas and 1 other person like this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

China basically locked down the city. No leaving your house, closed down all public places, stopped public transport, closed schools, etc. The WHO confirmed it worked and they basically contained the virus.

KingCheetah, malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  6. Exiled

Exiled Member

even with seasonal flu ,relapses after a week or two often lead to pneumonia, interval x-ray images should had been taken into considerations

Nook, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, it's a very real thought and incredibly scary (especially if one of the labs screws up), I know @malakas cited some of the stuff Russia was doing around the 1920s and up till after cold War just downright nasty bioweapons/viruses they were testing. I mean they're probably still studying just like every other country. The greatest concern in bioweapons is screwing up/unleashing it on purpose, they shouldn't have been made in the 1st place, and then the fact it would be used so enemy infrastructures would mainly remain intact. Ie Taking over a city/military site/factory etc etc w/ little structural damage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_biological_weapons_program

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marburg_virus

Yes, these are Wikipedia pages but there's actual 1st hand sources that can be used.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. And again I'm not some crazy tinfoil person, haha, hence why I've only tried to share knowledge from science classes or very well cited sources.

Exiled, donkeypunch and malakas like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you offered me like $2mil to get the virus I'd probably take it. But if you're telling me it keeps coming back like herpes, than naaaaah.

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely correct (and not that you need my affirmation or something), but when the immune system is weak after winning against a tough infection or you're in an area like a hospital an infection of a different strain or virus altogether (or even same one, especially in immuno compromised patients) the person gets extremely ill.

This is why people on immunotherapy drugs or other immune issues people don't get vaccines - 1 it could cause adverse issues. 2- if someone is on a strong steroid the impact a vaccine will make is pretty much useless (-since the steroid will block the small immune response we can sometimes get, - meaning their immune system didn't get any benefit from it.

Exiled and malakas like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Would you rather a government official came into your home in the middle of the night, put a black bag on your head and took you away to put a bullet in your head or take an untested vaccine?

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true, sadly, I'm not doubting this as a possibility. So the vaccine route would then become the best Option

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Did people not wipe their ass before fear of this virus?

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps retribution from China because of Morey's inflammatory tweet? Sh*ts about to go down it appears.

15. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

First two cases in Harris County. Official.

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

I’ve been thinking about this. Yes, it appears that China has been able to slow down the spread. But, look at what they had to do! Major cities looking like ghost towns. The Gov’t took some extreme measures to get this under control.

Are Americans willing to self quarantine for weeks and weeks in order to stop the spread? Most people start getting cabin fever after a few days. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

CCity Zero, marky :) and Joshfast like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's a great point.

TV: "We repeat. Do not even go out for fast food."

Man turns to wife: "Um... Are you hungry? I definitely need some ranchilidos with greasy raunch sauce (TM). How long you reckon they keep? Let's go get us some, maybe a week supply, depending on how many I eat tonight. Heh." (waddle to car)

CCity Zero and FrontRunner like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Welcome to the club! Congrats!

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biowarefare is like a gun that you can't aim. Half the time that you pull the trigger you end up shooting yourself in the head.

I kind of hope that this is a bioweapon accident because if China is actually stupid enough to be working on bioweapons for some idiotic reason this should be enough to scare the **** out of the idiots in charge without actually killing half the global population. But China actually has a very reserved nuclear deterrence policy unlike Russia and the US. It doesnt really seem like something they'd be very enthusiastic about.

#1260 Ottomaton, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    CCity Zero and malakas like this.