1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, I kind of linked part of an article discussing this, basically once the threat is gone, we put it on a shelf and go back to other things - following the money/grants, it makes sense to a degree but at the same time makes me realize how crazy our system is.

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

One of the best cases for being more aggressive in vaccine development for a lot of these viruses is that if one of these pops up every 10 years, and we suffer $250 Billion in economic damage (more or less)...doesn't it make sense to set aside a few billion to develop vaccines that may just sit on the shelf?

Of course, a few billion may go a long way in developing a cancer treatment for some terrible cancer that kills 100X the number of people...so those things always have to be weighed.

One of the things that really hurts these arguments for vaccine development was the H1N1 response (do all of y'all remember how terrible that one was going to be?).

A lot of vaccine developers and companies invested and rushed to develop vaccines that were never used (or only later became part of the seasonal rotation). They were left holding the bag with millions of doses of vaccines and millions of dollars of research that never amounted to anything. So you get a lot of companies scared to invest millions to develop something each time one of these pops us without assurances that they'll recoup their investment.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, trial period time is the concern here. Like without knowing some kind of time/point after vaccine, we need to make sure it's safe. I know every antivax person cites the autism link (proven wrong at every level), but there have been some trial vaccines that had devastating results, and I'm not talking autism etc. - here is one example (yes it's Wikipedia but this one is sourced) -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

Stuff like this lead to better standards for vaccine testing/rollout, I'm on the vaccine train for sure, but I'm not too interested if it hasn't been tested, unless it's like a 90% mortality rate. So I'm glad they won't rush it.

malakas, daywalker02 and Supermac34 like this.
  4. Supermac34

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is all very true. I mean I wish money wasn't the end game here but it always is, and obviously rushing untested vaccines can be dangerous, or even when a virus stops, and companies are stuck.

Supermac34 likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I saw this yesterday, down right crazy, kind of reminds me of the Dr who purposely got bacteria in his stomach to prove ulcers can sometimes come from bacteria. But in this case... There definitely wasn't enough time for research to feel confident

malakas and Supermac34 like this.
  7. Supermac34

Could be a conspiracy theorist and argue that China knew about this outbreak months earlier than reported and was already working on a vaccine. I'll take it as a publicity stunt (who knows if they actually injected anything).

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I still can't square the WHO saying this is not as contagious as normal flu and some of the verified stories, like the new one in Westchester, New York.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e0c5e0-5e48-11ea-b014-4fafa866bb81_story.html
    (you may hit a paywall)

But basically, one guy got the virus, then his entire family got it, and then the neighbor who drove him to the hospital got it, and the neighbor's family all got it. Jeebus.

I know it's anecdotal, but I'm not sure the flu is that virulent. Maybe the vaccine helps short-circuit what the flu would normally do.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Injected herself. For CHINA. People that love their governments are weird.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is the current status of Wuhan? I don't understand how an extremely dense city twice as big as Houston has seemingly capped and controlled new cases.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

It is funny that you think she actually had a choice.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Love for their country and countrymen is totally different than having their government forcing them to love their government as well.

malakas, Ziggy and CCity Zero like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've seen almost entire classrooms get the flu, so yes, it can be very virulent. There have been times when the neighborhood elementary had 25 percent of the kids out because of the same virus.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Coronavirus: ‘recovered’ patient dies as China reports discharged cases falling ill again

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...ered-patient-dies-china-reports-139-new-cases

malakas, CCity Zero and FrontRunner like this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's very odd that a patient can fully recover, test negative, then a couple weeks later test positive again and die. There's definitely more to this than we know so far.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. VanityHalfBlack

Why you guys buying up all the water bottle packs,sanitizer,toilet paper and towels at krogers man? Live a little for goodness sakes.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, I was honestly almost thinking this exact thing, like release strain, release vaccine, become heroes - I'm not crazy conspiracy person but just thought this as I watched or other way all stunt, no vaccine.. Like this lady is highly qualified - helped with sars/mers and Ebola in Africa, she's too God damn smart to just inject some unknownly tested vaccine

Again I'm def not spreading rumors or tinfoil stuff, just thought it was both amazing and crazy

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Possibly, there's also a chance.... (a small one), they studied sars like a mother ****er and didn't release the data - again conspiracy level propaganda - so I'm not stating this or sourcing some crazy ****, but if that's the case, fine, hah