1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Astrodome likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Those risks aren’t political, they are well documented prior to covid, I’ve prescribed it and had ekgs to monitor QT durations as have other. I don’t understand why it has to be political and Laura Ingram is selling her soul for it. There’s another much more promising drug remd

Nook likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to note that it looks like we are finally seeing sustained declining active cases.

We topped out at 1.176 million active cases on May 30 and we are down to 1.103 active cases as of June 3 for a decline of about 73k.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

While I support the protest that have been going on, those might have been real bombs for Covid-19, going to be interesting to see what happens over the next month, I'm pretty scared, hopefully being outside really blunted the spread, but that was a **** load of people huddled screaming together in all of the major cities.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thought the same about the HK protests but somehow they stopped testing and resumed protests.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think it will be minor. It was mostly people under 25 at the protests, many were wearing masks, and they were outside.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It being people under 25 doesn't matter as these people can still get sick, possibly die, and also transmit to people over 25. On many were wearing masks....that is the same as saying many weren't wearing masks. The big hope is lies in that it is outside.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think the virus thats becoming endemic is much weaker, evolutionarily speaking, it makes no sense for it to want to remain for virulent. Those strains kill the host and it ends there, especially if social distancing is in place. Strains that are much less likely to kill people will live on and spread

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Being outside is good. Shouting and talking is bad and is one of the major ways its spreads, so if folks weren't wearing their masks, they were spraying spittle in each other's faces.

It won't be the protester that dies, it'll be their parents or grandparents. Protesters, or those that attended the protests, should think very hard about sort of quarantining away from family for a couple weeks.

ElPigto likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully this houston humidity is knocking it down at the protests.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Not to turn this too political...but based from my experience being at the protests in Austin I don’t think there was much forethought from these kids to put it very politely....but at least they were covering their faces.

Unless they are interacting with people in nursing homes then I don’t think we see a major death spike from this but only time will tell.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I'm not expecting a major spike, my concerns are that the protests are more likely to cost lives than save them, and selfishly that it delays the ability to get cases down to levels that contact tracing is effective.

Though, I am skeptical the protests will help.

#7813 Joe Joe, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    robbie380 likes this.
  14. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Neighborhood Chick-Fil-A just closed due to Covid reasons. Reopening June 15th.

15. Major

Major Member

It's so bizarre looking at the case #'s and seeing just how bad we've been at this. The US is still at 20k+ cases daily. Most of the big European countries around down to 200-300. Smaller ones are below 100. The big exception are Sweden, which is stuck at 700-800 (vs Denmark and Norway, both below 50) and the UK (1,000+).

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Which neighborhood?

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

18. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure it's not inside the loop so not sure why you'd care.

Nook likes this.
  19. shorerider

shorerider Member

I think the worry is not with expecting the people in the crowds (mainly young) to fall severely ill and die, but that they will be seeding the illness once again (many will be asymptomatic), and that 2-3 infection cycles downstream (maybe a month from now or more), it will again reach more vulnerable populations.

Kim likes this.
  20. shorerider

shorerider Member

Interesting point. Can only hope it is true. Makes sense as long as the more virulent strains are not widely asymptomatic in certain demographics.