1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not in two years. Is there a disease from Vietnam causes toe issues?

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s what I’m thinking. Will give it a day or two and see what happens.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have you eaten a lot of shrimp?

4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Years ago I had a food allergy that would cause my toes to get red and itchy, usually at the same time each day, and would then resolve for the rest of the day. It went on for about 2 weeks and then never came back.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You won't be approved for any testing if you just have red toes. The tests are currently used for higher risk individuals who have symptoms and a known risk exposure.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[NPR] 5 USS Roosevelt Sailors Test Positive For COVID-19, Again

The U.S. Navy says five sailors from the USS Theodore Roosevelt who had apparently recovered from the coronavirus and had received negative test results have now tested positive for a second time.

In a statement, the Navy said the sailors had "met rigorous recovery criteria, exceeding CDC guidelines," including testing negative for the virus at least twice, but have now retested positive. The statement said the sailors had been monitoring their health and adhered to social-distancing protocols while on board the Roosevelt, which has been docked in Guam following an outbreak infecting hundreds of crew members.

"These five Sailors developed influenza-like illness symptoms and did the right thing reporting to medical for evaluation," the statement said.

The Navy said the sailors were removed from the ship and placed in isolation, and are receiving medical care. A "small number" of sailors who had been in contact with them also were removed, retested and quarantined, officials said.

ETA:

[NPR] 13 USS Roosevelt Sailors Test Positive For COVID-19, Again

The Navy has since confirmed to NPR that an additional eight sailors have retested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total to 13.

#7567 No Worries, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    FrontRunner likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not this week.

9. Buck Turgidson

And you have?

10. KingCheetah

Have you done a lot of running?

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I was in Vietnam two years ago.

Also yes I have been running but I sprained my MCL so didn't run last week.

FYI my toes are feeling a lot better this morning. I didn't think it was COVID and am pretty certain now but was just curious.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

14. KingCheetah

I'm watching live bull riding and all these dorks are wearing masks instead of bandanas... this might be the lamest thing I've seen during the pandemic.

Nook likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Honestly, it's a waste of time because policies change every few weeks, meaning the Ro is changing also. My understanding is that Ro is most useful and measurable in hindsight, once you have an opportunity to see a disease play out in full. And in this case, whatever that Ro is will be building in massive global shutdowns, so even then, I'm not sure how helpful it will be looking forward.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I thought it was mandatory to wear mask. I stopped at Specs last night and workers and customers weren't wearing any mask. That **** pisses me off.

Nook, bcast89 and Ziggy like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's hard, but Ro for "normal" vs different level of mitigation. That would be very useful data to project cases more accurately.

18. Major

Major Member

Even that isn't useful, because the Ro likely changes with temperature, humidity, etc. It's a big picture overview of how contagious a disease is for future planning, but it doesn't help at the micro level to figure out immediate policy. Each city will have a different Ro based on policies, weather, the summer season with people traveling or whatever, etc - meaning even if you could pick a city and try to figure out its Ro, it would change every week. Its crazy difficult because of the lag time of figuring out asymptomatic cases, and by the time you got results, the info would be way out of date anyway.

It might be helpful for how to deal with this if it crops up next year, but at that point, treatments and vaccines will be different, our attitudes will be different (one way or another), etc so the Ro will again be really different. All those research resources are likely better used elsewhere at this point.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Watching NASCAR right now, more out of curiosity than anything, and it is interesting to see all the protocols put in place to protect everyone, and not just the drivers and teams but the tv crew as well. Hope other leagues are taking note.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You do both. The point is you have a way to project and you measure against that projection. If you know current Ro, you know if it's still spreading and by how much. If you know doing X change Ro by Y, you have a better way to manage the spread.

I doubt humidity play a significant part, but just maybe and Ro data could help with understanding that as well. Yes, it's probably extremely difficult to capture that.