1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

feel bad for those people... A countdown to when will I be infected

2. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

In case the virus doesn't get you...

Uprising likes this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14 Americans Taken Off Cruise Ship And Flown To U.S. Test Positive For Coronavirus

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...and-flown-to-u-s-test-positive-for-coronaviru

4. malakas

malakas Member

The fact that there are more and more infections in the cruise ship is definitely very interesting.
    Does the virus indeed have much longer incubation period? Or there is another way it spreads that we are not aware of? i.e through the vents.

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Welp, i hope y'all hoarded your masks

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t read Russian news

either it was from the lab
    Or bat soup

China messed up
    Either the people eating pangolins and bats need to stop or the raccoon corporation needs to be truthful

#626 tinman, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Not bad. 80% just have some cough and fever.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This virus has several strange features compared with similar outbreaks.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This got me thinking back to other viruses that can have a long incubation period, obviously not the same circumstances with the transmission still being studied here, but I found it kind of interesting in studying years ago the length certain viruses can be in the incubation period.

Take rabies for example (obviously not the same as being discussed, since it doesn't shed during this drawn out period like this virus might be), but it's crazy to think people in the past before treatment was possible could go 20-60 days during incubation since it hasn't reached the site yet, and then thinking of being outside the avg (I think as high as 10% of people or so ) can last a year or more without any real signs.

Anyway, back on topic... what's concerning on this one is like you mentioned regarding the transmission, like if people are barely exhibiting symptoms or have a super late onset and are contagious during incubation (so truly shedding the virus w/ 0 symptoms), I think it will last a long time, especially since I'm still only seeing 14 day self quarantine cited everywhere (for people returning from recent travel to China)

Obviously the spread of information will be a lot better once more patients are treated outside of China. But I'd still like more understanding on the transmission.

malakas likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Just like Norovirus spreads like wildfire on a cruise ship.

Everyone be swapping poop.

malakas likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Never seen a similar outbreak that was mostly positive on facebook.

Blake likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

meh

14. Buck Turgidson

Huh

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not to worry. That's the highest of quality Chinese manufactured poison.

Uprising likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

this royally suxs for someone like me who has to travel across asia regularly. my bosses seem to keep on trucking with their travels tho. how do i get out of business travels?

tinman likes this.
  17. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Come back coughing and sneezing in the office.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

unfortunately my bosses' offices are in diff countries. some companies have actually instated a travel ban for all emplayees cus they want to avoid airports and airplanes. but jontro has to work for bosses who dgaf. fml

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man that's crazy... I know a lot of companies are following the travel ban, and if you're returning from China they're making you work from home for at least 14 days. I'm worried 14 days might not be enough though (as @malakas mentioned) but hopefully we will soon know more on how the transmission model works.

Anyway, I hope you get a break from travel! Regardless of this situation, I'm sure everyone needs a break eventually. I mean I haven't had to travel in forever (for work) and even then it wasn't long-term (multiple consistent times), at first I'm sure it's exciting but then I can see how it'd be a drag if you do it all the time (at least I imagine)

malakas and Jontro like this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think that cruise ship with 500 or so passengers infected is an interesting case. I think they reported 70% of the people who tested positive for the virus are not showing any symptoms. Are there any other common viruses like this where you can have no symptoms and transmit it and also to where it has vastly different outcomes in terms of the patient. 80% mild to no symptoms and 20% end up in severe condition or die as a result of infection. Granted age is a major factor but even with this we see that this virus has almost no bad effects with the very young.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.