1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, apparently using pieces of inactivated SARS virus (in monkey and mouse trials) has shown significantly increased risk of disease. It's a complicated piece of biochemistry that explains it (beyond me), but they say that route, the easy route to the vaccine, is a no go.

#5681 B-Bob, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait...followup question. SARS or Covid-19?

I know SARS vaccines were stopped wrt the "easy way." Are they talking about the past attempts at SARS vaccines, or did they actually see it again with Covid-19?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. That looks fascinating! I started to watch it and realized that it was nearly an hour and a half long, so I’m saving it for sometime during the afternoon today. Probably as a way to recover from torturing myself by watching yet another misleading opus from our Not So Dear Leader (I had used a different description of the fellow, but this is Hangout, after all). I try to counter the feeling of nausea and frustration from the experience by seeing either a classic film, or something intelligent. This is certainly the latter. Thanks!

arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

False-Negative test. Possibly 20-30% of test. My wife had exposure (healthcare worker) and developed symptoms after 14 days exactly. She was tested 3 days later and results came 3 days later as negative. Her symptoms subsided after another 3 days. One of doctors she works with thinks she was a false negative because of her symptoms and the way she swabbed at the test. I never had any symptoms (sinus drainage maybe). I did start wearing gloves and mask going out when her symptoms showed.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I mean SARS. In that video, the speaker is saying that, based on the actual research they have on SARS, they are concerned that trying a vaccine for COVID-19 could risk running into similar problems. So the most promising routes, and there are lots of routes, are not pursuing that one.

malakas, Invisible Fan and heypartner like this.
  7. omgTHEpotential

We have people infected with COVID-19 running away from hospitals. ****ing psychos. Police should shoot them on sight.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wait... what?

9. omgTHEpotential

Here in Eastern Europe people just don't give a **** about others. Selfish pricks.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. likestohypeguy

11. omgTHEpotential

Only 3,039 newly confirmed cases in Italy today.

Pringles and London'sBurning like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Maybe they dont give a **** about themselves either. That region has been through some ****. Theyre built a little different in that part of the world.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...urope-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

So after seeing this study a few days ago where they tried to estimate true infection rates in major European countries it made me start wondering what the true infection rate in New York was. From the data I've been tracking I've noticed that over the last 11 days they have tested about 1% of the population of New York. During that time 47% of the tests were positive for coronavirus. Then when we see that deaths per capita in NY are about the same as Spain and Italy as of today it makes me wonder if potentially 10-15% of New York has already been infected like this Imperial College of London model projects.

Also, I thought it was interesting to consider the possibility that Germany's deaths are significantly lower simply because they just didn't experience the same level of infection as NY, Italy, or Spain. That would at least make more sense. Anyhow, we won't really know for awhile until we have a reliable antibody test. Just some potentially positive things to consider because this would me the overall mortality rate is SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I still think this is the short term stop gap answer to treat patients until a vaccine comes out. Most people that get this virus won't need hospital care, which means their immune system found a response to combating the virus without long term health complications. Use their antibodies with plasma therapy. I mean use all other available resources that aid a patient as well, but with potentially millions of people infected, that's a lot of plasma that could be donated. Meaning outside of a shortage of resources like medical staff that can extract plasma and resources to contain and ship to hospitals that need it, there should be no shortage of plasma donations. It would literally be lending an arm to help fellow Americans, and globally human beings.

Hakeemtheking and daywalker02 like this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Why are they building temporary hospitals on that hot ass NRG parking lot instead of just using NRG Center?

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some promising news on the antibody front.
    https://focustaiwan.tw/sci-tech/202...Vpi3vsFn0PzgV6qtNRWJ1My1_lFQG18i7cP2DUjKox3m4

Taiwanese team finds key antibodies in COVID-19 patients
    Taipei, April 7 (CNA) A Taiwanese research team has produced 25 human monoclonal antibodies based on antibody gene segments from three patients infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Huang Kuan-ying (黃冠穎), a resident physician at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital who led the research team, told the press Tuesday that the achievement could facilitate the development of not only rapid screening kits but also medication that targets the virus.

Monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) are immune system proteins that are created in the lab. They are made by identical immune cells that are all clones of a unique parent cell. Like the body's own antibodies, mAbs recognize specific targets.

The mAbs, made based on antibodies in B cells of the patients, are 13 strains targeting the spike protein (S) of the coronavirus and 12 strains targeting the nucleocapsid protein (N) of the virus.

B cells are a type of white blood cell that make antibodies. They are part of the immune system and develop from stem cells in the bone marrow. They are also called B lymphocyte.

Since the antibodies can identify the virus, they are useful in two areas, including the development and production of rapid testing agents, Huang said, and if such antibody testing agents react to tissue samples containing the virus, they can show the result in a minimum of 30 minutes.

The other area in which they can be used is therapy, Huang went on, because mAbs are regarded as "magic bullets" that can cure some infectious diseases.

His team found that there is one particular strain among the 13 S-targeting mAbs that has the ability to block the paths that the new coronavirus can use to invade the body, Huang said.

He explained that for the virus to enter cells, it has to integrate with the cell receptor, angiotensin converting enzyme 2, which is an enzyme attached to the outer surface of cells in organs.

"The receptor is like a gate. If the virus outflanks an antibody to open it, the body will be infected," the researcher said. "But if the antibody opens the gate first, it has the opportunity to stop the virus from entering cells."

Shih Shin-ru (施信如), a professor at the Research Center for Emerging Viral Infections of Chang Gung University, said this certain mAb, which was found capable of stopping the coronavirus from invading the body, can be used in the development of COVID-19 therapies or even vaccines if it is proven effective in human tests in the future.

Compared with animal mAbs, those from humans will be safer to use in medical treatment, she added.

(By Chen Wei-ting and Elizabeth Hsu)

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Without knowing more of what they are doing I can't say for certain but from an architecture standpoint not all buildings can make good hospitals. A hospital is much more than just a big building. It requires a lot of specialized environmental controls and power requirements. It also needs to be able to be cleaned and disinfected easily. It might just be easier to set up temporary hospitals than to try deal with retrofitting NRG. Also with other emergency hospitals that have been built during this crisis, such as the ones in Wuhan, my understanding is that they aren't full service hospitals but more like isolation wards.

Houstunna likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Following up on my previous post here is a piece about using sports stadiums during this crisis. A lot of this makes sense that stadiums are great staging areas and shelter areas during disasters. It sounds like several such as the Oakland Coliseum are being considered for medical use.
    https://time.com/5813442/coronavirus-stadiums-hospitals/

The World's Sports Stadiums Are Being Converted Into Hospitals to Fight the Coronavirus Outbreak

Around 10 days ago, Danny Zausner, chief operating officer of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City — home of the U.S. Open — received a call that would be considered inconceivable not that long ago. Local government officials wanted to know whether the sprawling 42-acre tennis complex could house a makeshift hospital for COVID-19 patients. The City’s health care system was already taxed, and the crisis was only worsening.

Zausner said officials asked about utilizing Arthur Ashe Stadium, the largest tennis stadium in the world and site of some of the sport’s most memorable moments, as a medical facility. But Ashe is actually not ideal for the purpose. It houses just one outdoor court, and the space under the stands in relatively confined. Zausner offered an alternative: the center’s indoor training facility, which during the Open hosts hospitality events, an interactive fan experience, and stores merchandise. The dozen courts offer 100,000 square feet of space. After a few site visits, the deal was done. “They’re going to be building a hospital,” says Zausner, “from scratch.”

Construction on the 350-bed facility starts this week. “This place will be a lifesaving place,” said New York Mayor Bill de Blasio at a Tuesday press event.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, the sports world has stepped up with countless acts of kindness. To name just a few: on March 27, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife, Brittany, announced they would donate $5 million to charities feeding people in need in Louisiana, where the number of cases increased 30% on Tuesday alone. The Arizona Diamondbacks have given over $1 million for supplies like food and personal protective equipment for health care workers. Tennis star Rafael Nadal and NBA vet Pau Gasol have started a drive to raise north of $12 million for Spain, their home country, which has been devastated by the outbreak.

Now, sports are moving closer to the front lines of the epidemic, as many athletic facilities around the world are being converted into temporary hospitals. During past disasters, emergency organizers have turned to sports facilities for relief: the Superdome in New Orleans, for example, became a problematic shelter after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. And following a 6.4 magnitude earthquake that struck Puerto Rico in January, relief workers distributed meals on baseball fields and track and soccer facilities. The novel coronavirus outbreak, however, is not a disaster contained to one area. All over the globe, officials been forced to canvass for extra spaces to ease the strain on existing hospital systems. Sports facilities have opened their doors to patients like never before.

Wuhan converted one of its large sports complexes into a hospital as the outbreak worsened, and others have done the same. According to the Philippine Sports Commission, two national sports complexes — one in Manila and one in Pasig City — will be turned into hospitals. The most famous stadium in Brazil, the Maracanã in Rio, is slated to become a field hospital; a temporary facility is also being set up in a Sao Paulo stadium. The health minister of Wales approved funding to construct a 2,000 bed facility at the national stadium, Principality Stadium, which has a retractable roof. Real Madrid’s stadium, Santiago Bernabéu, will store medical supplies.

In the U.S., besides the plans for the tennis center in New York, some 400 Army soldiers are helping build and run a hospital at CenturyLink Field Event Center, adjacent to the stadium where the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders play. It will house non-COVID patients to allow the area’s existing hospitals to focus on treating the disease. The Army Corps of Engineers is honing in on Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, the former home of the city’s NBA franchise, the Kings, as a site for a 360-bed facility that would serve COVID and non-COVID patients; California governor Gavin Newsom has identified Oakland Coliseum, home of the A’s, as a potential site “surge site” if an influx of COVID-19 patients requires additional health care capacity in the state. An A’s spokesperson pledges that the organization “stands ready to do anything and everything possible to help those in need during this important time for our community.”

In Missouri, the governor, Mike Parson, said on Tuesday that the Missouri National Guard is considering the Dome at America’s Center in downtown St. Louis, former home of the NFL’s Rams and now-home of the XFL’s St. Louis Battlehawks, as an alternative health care site. University of Missouri officials met last week with representatives from the Army Corps of Engineers, Missouri Hospital Association, the Missouri National Guard and the state to discuss a possible overflow facility; the Mizzou Arena, home of the school’s basketball teams, and another on-campus arena, the Hearnes Center, were discussed as possibilities.

More at link

20. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Holding in-person elections today? What could go wrong in Wisconsin? I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks. =/

Thousands of Wisconsin voters waited hours in line to cast ballots and the National Guard staffed overcrowded polling stations on Tuesday, straining the state’s ability to hold a presidential primary election under the lash of an escalating pandemic. The state’s largest city opened just five of its 180 traditional polling places, forced to downsize after hundreds of poll workers stepped down because of health risks. The resulting logjam forced voters to wait together in lines spanning several blocks in some cases. Many did not have facial coverings.

https://apnews.com/326d33f1da060324d6fda720e3ae6aea

malakas and FrontRunner like this.