1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't matter if this lasts "18 months" there's no shortage whatsoever of this toilet paper if people just bought as you normally would. the only reason why they aren't there is bc of the idiots. filling carts and carts full is just plain dumb af. there's 0 justification for it. you know what shouldn't be on the shelves? things like gloves that are 10X more useful in a time like this that makes more sense. but nah apparently, people wipe their ass 50 times a day and take a **** 10 times per day.

the grocery store being some ground zero is just extreme exaggeration. the chances of getting it, is no different then you going somewhere else in public where others have been

Yung-T, Reeko, Hakeemtheking and 3 others like this.
  2. likestohypeguy

We'll all be wiping our asses with US $100 bills before this is all over with.

LonghornFan and Surfguy like this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I’ll use Swiffer dusters before it comes to disgusting bacteria and virus infected bills touching my inner sanctum.

Sajan likes this.
  4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

... any port in a storm.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

have we run out of water? no? okay. then i am not worried.
    i don't get this TP craze. buy food you morans!

Yung-T, Reeko, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I respect the fact you said you agreed at one point, so there's that.

Australia was dumb too.

Hoarding TP doesn't affect the hoarder personally, but it's selfish. I know some will say f*** everyone else, but you're still wrong in this instance.

Thank Goodness stores put limits on items to deflect said selfishness.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I realize there is no shortage, but that isn't my point. If people bought as much as they normally would then they would go to the store once every two weeks. Nobody wants to go to the store once every two weeks now because that is the most likely place they will get infected or infect someone else. I'm not saying all this is fully justified but I respectfully disagree that there is 0 justification. I'm sure you'll see other "comfort" items unattainable in the near future as well. My guess is coffee.

I don't feel that calling the grocery ground zero is an exaggeration. You say people are just as likely to get it anywhere else, which I agree with. They are just as likely to get it a restaurant, bar, salons, library, gym amusement park, etc.. Well, all those places are shut down now. The two largest cities in America have told their citizens to not go anywhere except the grocery store and the hospital. I think it's fair to say that those two places are now ground zero based on process of elimination.

Yolo, if your 80 year old grandma asked you if you think she should spend 30 bucks on TP and avoid the grocery store for two months or be fair to everyone else and go every 2 weeks, would you honestly say that your answer would be to be fair to everybody and go to the store in April when there's a chance that 1 in 4 people will be infected. Heck no, you love your nanna and would tell her stock up.

Please take my opinion as just that, I'm not trying to get into with you over this. I realize you're passionate about us sharing resources and I wish there was a way for us to safely not hoard but there is no easy answer. Be a hoarder or be a spreader. I see few things in my life now as black and white and this remains a grey area with no clear solution. I really respect you as a poster, I just see this issue a little differently than you. We're can agree on thing, we're lucky that people are hoarding TP right now instead of Rice, Beans, Oatmeal, and Potatoes because those are the real things that will help with this quarantine.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Houstunna

Supporting Member

My final swipe has been with a baby-wipe for years....... #nostreaks

I'm just not a disgusting person.

I've also been wiping all public restroom sink handles and door handles for years.

You're (not saying specifically you) welcome.

Jontro likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Houstanna, I feel that 99.9% of the time I would be furious about hoarding during an emergency time like this. I might be furious in 3 months when I'm out of food. What makes this situation unique is that people are spreading and contracting the disease every time they go to the store. I'm not really sure what you referring to about me "being wrong". I haven't encouraged anyone to hoard anything, just said I can understand why some people are. How does that make me "wrong"?

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would think there is a fair run on bidets at the moment given the TP crisis.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

So what about the gas station. What about the banks. You can still go to restaurants. You can still go to fast food places. Those places aren’t shut down and people eventually are going there. The grocery store isn’t shutting down. Yeah extreme exaggeration.

It’s one thing to stock. People that hoard unnecessarily are basically selfish. But hey we all know there’s selfish idiots that unfortunately play a huge part of this world

#3571 YOLO, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    withmustard likes this.
  12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Is it me or has the news coverage gotten less scary?

The Real Shady likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

My bad. I should have said *they're* wrong, not *you're* wrong.

I understand the concept of being stocked on things, just saying it's not necessary.

Grocery shopping is one of my favorite activities, so fortunately I'm stocked on many things.

I discovered I had 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol in my possession.

I bought some little spray bottles and have been disinfecting when going in the public.

withmustard likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

What happened here is the mayor couldn't admit making a mistake.

We all make mistakes, but the inability to acknowledge it compounds it.

Denial.River.Egypt.

Pringles likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

CNN has been running re-runs of previous days coverage and interviews.

Pringles likes this.
  17. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

It's the weekend. B team in the newsroom.

Jontro likes this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding gas stations, I don't plan on walking into a gas station anytime soon. I will pump outside in a safe social distance from the other pumpers. I might even try to find a way to avoid touching the pump or the keypad for my pin. I feel gas stations should really be locked up and everything should be conducted through the glass like its late night in a bad neighborhood. No guarantee the teller doesn't have the virus, but the name of the game is to eliminate any unnecessary risk. That is why I wouldn't use cash and use my card, which is unfortunately not a luxury everybody has.

The banks should be closed aside from drive thru as well. I could be mistaken but I believe banks are closed in some cities. Restaurants have closed their doors and are only doing pick up and delivery, so 100's of people are not inside the same roof at once like a grocery store. I also never said the grocery store was shutting down? Not sure where that came from. I actually think they all should be open 24/7 and hiring more staff to decrease the concentration of people there at a given time.

Houston seems to be slightly behind some other cities that have taken drastic precautions. If the banks are still open and restaurants are still open for people to gather, then it's only because money and food are essential right now. That said, any half educated person will be doing online banking and ordering their food to-go for the foreseeable future. Just because you can still go to a bank and restaurant right now doesn't mean it's a good idea, and like I said their concentration levels are way less than the grocery store. Plus the global consequences of banks closing are pretty different than a gym, barber shop or any other non essential.

I live in Charlotte so I may not be as up to date with what's up in Houston, but right now, the only two places in Charlotte where you will share a roof with 60 or more people will be a hospital and grocery store.

People were legally allowed to go to the beach in Florida this week, so every state has different restrictions in place but you see all the rightful backlash that has got. A strong argument can be made that the people going out to restaurants where it's still allowed are being more selfish than the hoarders. Please stop trying to win a debate and consider the chance that this is a messed up situation and answers aren't as easy you think. I can admit I don't have all the answers but I'm entitled to my opinion, which up to this point has only been empathy. Never said Hoarding was 100% right.

Also, you never answered my hypothetical question about your nanna. Should she be fair and go the store once every two weeks or should she stock up and avoid going there for a few months? I'm really curious what your response is.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Super smart of you to bringing those bottles with you. There is chance that you actually saved someone's life by doing that. Probably unlikely, but still a chance. We just don't know.

To say stocking up on things isn't necessary might be premature. This is an unprecedented threat in our modern era and we just don't know what is overkill and what isn't. Nobody knows. I hope you're right and history shows all those people were jerks instead of right. Because in the event that they were right, means we're all about to go through hell.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

You say all these things yet the average selfish person doesn’t do any of it. I bet you wouldn’t even do it in the long run every single time. You’re not gonna touch the pump, credit card machine, money etc anymore. Yeah right. I bet your phone is just as dirty as most of these things mentioned. It doesn’t really matter if 100s of people aren’t in a restaurant at the same time. There’s still people going in and out. People touching everything. 100s of people aren’t in a grocery store at the same time yet you want to exaggerate and say it’s ground zero

as to your grandma question, I’m not the type to have my 80 year old gma going to the store on her own so that scenario doesn’t really apply to me. I’m sure there’s other situations where they may have to whatever that may be but we make sure our elders are ok before we worry about ourselves. And nah we don’t have 30 plus packs of toilet paper sitting in the kitchen

I couldn’t careless about winning some debate. These extreme hoarders in times like this are just pure selfish idiots. Plain and simple

#3580 YOLO, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    withmustard likes this.