1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Shots correctly fired by Norweigan university.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Without testing any and all estimates in this country are guesses.

Pringles and Andre0087 like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Basically it seems like if you are
    • Under 50
    • Not a diabetic
    • Not a smoker or vaper
    • Have access to good healthcare
    Then you will be ok

5. likestohypeguy

Wait, what's this about, did lightning strike and they just happened figure something out way earlier than possibly predicted, or is conducting trials on something not necessarily as promising as it sounds? i.e. just an expected failed baby-step, still along the projected years long trajectory of actually getting a vaccine?

Jontro likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I hate to bring this up. But we need to start a national conversation on Medial power of attorneys, Medical wills, and DNR/DNI. If the issue is access to emergency life saving services, these things affect the actual medical decisions as anything else.

FrontRunner likes this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If a whole bunch of people get sick that one will be the most crucial and of course it means the wealthy mostly. I hope they'll still take my union card...

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's the thing you'll likely survive and fully recover, but there is also a significant risk for perhaps 20 - 30% of having a serious illness for weeks with permanent lung damage.

CCity Zero and likestohypeguy like this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Yeah, this is my main concern, what's the total combined percentage who: [(die) + (those who survive with PERMANENT LUNG SCARRING)]?!

and/or where you relapse a couple weeks after seemingly getting over it.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For whatever it is worth the South Korean data has not indicated that for the groups I laid out. Maybe they are just lucky. This lung scarring thing is also not confirmed either.

My gf just tested positive for corona virus so I’ll let you guys know how it goes. We have a crazy long distance relationship and she was planning on moving here soon from Toronto but that’s delayed now lol.

Her symptoms are minor and she works at the airport so she likely got it there. She was getting tested everyday and started developing symptoms today with a slight fever and slight cough. She went in and got tested and she was positive for it. They actually have rapid testing up there in Canada unlike us.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So the doctor that I talked about a week ago that was going on vacation ended up going on vacation. He went to Spain.

He immediately returned to work seeing patients and performing surgery.

My wife came home today talking about this and says if she gets coronavirus, she could basically prove he was the only person she could have gotten it from, and thus would sue him for negligence....

Not sure how legal this is, but I'm all for it.:D

CCity Zero and Jontro like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

Wow. Canada tests people on the front lines every day??!?

What a novel idea.

It's amazing seeing your post and mine (above) back to back.

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

Sorry to hear that my man. Thankfully she's in Canada and found out right away. Hoping she's doing well, physically and mentally throughout this.

CCity Zero, Kim and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Johnson & Johnson will get help from the U.S. government to quickly advance a coronavirus vaccine candidate into clinical testing, announcing Tuesday an expanded agreement with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, or BARDA.

Per the agreement, BARDA will fund development through to Phase 1 testing, at which point the agency can decide whether to invest more.

While Phase 1 testing could begin in the next month or two, proving Moderna's vaccine is effective will likely take a year or more, and there's no guarantee it will work.

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/johnson-johnson-barda-coronavirus-vaccine-research/572189/

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah she feels fine, but what sucks is they also let her go from her job today before this test. The airport let a ton of people go today since no one is flying.

FrontRunner, Pringles and Jontro like this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Glad she's feeling alright.

17. Two Sandwiches

Why does Johnson and Johnson get a pass and government funding when they, for years, knew one of their products caused cancer, yet continued to deny it, killing thousands of women?

Nook and FrontRunner like this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

call your congressman and mention you don't want the vaccine.

19. Two Sandwiches

Not saying I don't want it, I'm just questioning why they're the ones that were picked to get funding. That's a fair question in my opinion. From an ethics standpoint, can we even trust their research?

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most potential drugs are only in Phase I or the pre-clinical stage in the U.S. Gilead's Remdesivir may be the most advanced simply because it already exists. It was created to combat Ebola, but didn't prove to do it well, and now they're trying to see if it can combat COVID-19. Gilead was expected to go into trials on humans by late this month or early this month with their existing drug remdesivir which has had success against other forms of the coronavirus in the past. It was actually used on at least 1 patient already. They're in Phase 3. I would think they're one of the closest to actually producing a drug to combat it.

As for an actual vaccine, most people were thinking that's further off, but I don't know if anything's changed about that timeline. Even remdesivir isn't guaranteed to be approved.

CCity Zero and likestohypeguy like this.