1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Good to have but hopefully everyone knows by now that numbers in the US are severely underreported because we still don’t have widely available tests.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Great, since we all know that what those most affected need most are low-interest loans and payroll tax cuts. These help people of means and leave everyone else behind.

No Worries likes this.
  3. jsingles

jsingles Member

Interested to know people's opinions of school closings in the area. Are posters in other parts of the country seeing anything worth noting?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

jsingles likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

It's more like the 1 month delayed map for the US.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Yung-T likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

What this means is that a TON more people have it than one would think. A lot of young people probably barely notice it.

Heck, I might have it right now.

Blurr#7, Richie_Rich, malakas and 5 others like this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Had to work so I'm a bit behind on this thread. Found this "book" on cytokine storm syndromes. It's basically just collated articles on them, treatments, prior virus/diseases they are associated with, etc. I haven't gone through all of it yet. A lot of it is technical and not applicable, but you never know. Still helpful if not already posted.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Seems obvious that the most socially active group and biggest risk takers would have the highest percentage.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

malakas likes this.
  11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In Texas, affected students will be assigned work to do from home. Districts will do what they can to avoid extending the school year.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thursday I had a sore throat. It's kind of gone now. I've been a little fatigued this weekend, but very stuffy all weekend and have had a headache. Normally this is no big deal, but as I've stated before, I work with cancer patients.

We have no known cases in the area. Closest cases are probably 70 miles away. I have not had a fever as far as I know, and it's most likely a common cold.

I guess I'm going to work tomorrow. Just makes me nervous about being a potential carrier.

#2553 Two Sandwiches, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#2554 J.R., Mar 15, 2020
    FrontRunner and Yung-T like this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It was really stupid timing to have two kids who are both seniors (college and HS) this year. College kid is done. Her university gave up and told everyone to go home. She likely won't get a graduation ceremony. HS kid got an extended spring break and the school is still taking the public posture that classes will start again on April 1, but I don't see that happening. Odds are, she won't get a graduation ceremony either.

Both kids are heartbroken to have their senior year cut short without a graduation. Mrs. rimrocker and I are too.

malakas and Pringles like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That is glorious.

Pringles, CCity Zero and ElPigto like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry man. No matter what, even if this is for the greater good, I feel for everybody out there missing out on important milestones. I hope some day we will look back at this time in our lives and realize the important sacrifice we all were part of.

rimrocker and malakas like this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

going back to my earlier point, we just canceled our elective surgeries and discharging anybody that odesn't need to be there. It doesn't make sense to bring a virus into the sickest people in the country hanging by a thread

malakas likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yikes!

20. GIGO

GIGO Member

Been curious about their demographics there and found this from 2 weeks ago.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200303000714

According to data from the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, of the country’s total 4,812 confirmed cases as of Tuesday afternoon, people in their 20s accounted for 29.4 percent, or 1,417 cases, followed by those in their 50s at 19.8 percent (952 cases).

By gender, 62.4 percent, or 3,002, were female, whereas 1,810 or 37.6 percent were male.

This departs from the World Health Organization’s observations on coronavirus cases in China, which showed nearly 78 percent of the infected were from 30 to 69 years old, with the median age at 51.

“Women in their 20s-30s reportedly make up a large amount of Shincheonji followers, and it is showing in the high percentage of COVID-19 cases in those age groups,” KCDC director Jung Eun-kyeong said at a news briefing.

Local reports have said Shincheonji targets younger people aggressively with clandestine evangelistic activities, and that nearly 60 percent of its worshippers are thought to be in their 20s and 30s.

One possible explanation for the greater number of infections among women can be found in Korea’s patient No. 31, a 61-year-old female Shincheonji follower who contracted the first identified infection within the church. She is suspected to have spread the virus at church services she attended in Daegu.

Observers say it is likely that she was in contact with more female church members, as men and women sit separately at Shincheonji services.​

#2560 GIGO, Mar 15, 2020
    Miracle, daywalker02 and malakas like this.