1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coveting Players on Other Teams Erodes Team Identity.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, Jun 2, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

If the Rockets never build and KEEP a core, we will never have an identity. When you think about the Spurs you think about Parker, Manu, Duncan et al. You think about their young stars: Lenord, Green, Mills, etc. They clearly have an identity. Like Jordan/Pippen had with the Bulls, and Magic/Kareem had with the Lakers and so on. Even the big three in Miami have forged an identity. If the Rockets keep trading players like cards, will we ever have a "team" we can relate to, year after year? Will we have the sense that this is "our" team and these are "our" players or just a group of temps who will be traded for better "temps." I am ready for some tweaking, but I am against reshuffling the deck. What do you think?

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree.

Mercenary Harden erodes team identity and defensive intensity. Trade him for real Rockets like Lowry, Patterson and Hayes.

1 person likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We have an identity:

Really fast pace with 3/5 players playing defense and above-average offensive rebounding with poor defensive rebounding, and no organized scheming to worry about. No coaching interference!

It's a players' dream.

4. solid

Can you imagine what the fans would do if Morey traded Harden for Hayes?! I loved Chuck, but he will never have the impact of a Harden. I assume you were joking. I really loved Chuck's defensive intensity, though. James could definitely use some of that.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the assumption is that once you have acquired young Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Tim Duncan there's no need to pursue other stars... I totally agree.

However, I'm not sure how that applies to the current Rockets team. I think we're more like Boston or Miami pre-big 3, Lakers before Gasol, Pistons before Rasheed Wallace, etc. than the Spurs.

6. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

Howard and Harden aren't getting traded, so we have a base.... was this thread necroed from 2 years ago?

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i agree. having an offensive and defensive system is hard work. its easier for the player to just do whatever the hell they want. and the coach gets to just plop his ass on the bench and check out the cheerleaders, what a thing to get paid millions of dollars for. i do that everyday for free!

its playground style basketball, yeah. who cares about defense and playbooks and boxing out, thats all garbage. you just gotta go out there and play hard.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

bruh as long as Morey is here they are just assets!

9. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets don't have a core yet. San Antonio drafted their stars. Miami's stars became super-friends and all joined together.

The Rockets are in a different situation where they are picking up stars one-by-one.

10. bmd

bmd Member

To clarify, Harden and Howard are the only pieces to their core currently. They need one more big piece.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So we have to pretend to not have impure thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  12. Sanity2disChaos

Harden stole his lunch money....obviously.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

And Harden and Dwight have multi year contracts....

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Very strange thread.

15. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

We first had to have a base to build upon. We have a base now and now we are building an identity.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

We all loved Harden last year, now people want him traded. Reminds me of...

Steve Francis. We all loved him then we got tired of him so we traded him for...
    Tracy McGrady. We all loved him then we got tired of him so we traded him for...
    Kevin Martin. We all loved him (maybe to a lesser degree) till we got tired of him so we traded him for...
    James Harden.

The cycle never ends!

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Morey doesn't make a move he isn't being aggressive enough building a championship team WINDOW CLOSING!!! If he makes a move he isn't developing young players. Harden and Howard are the core players if you truly believe anyone on this squad or past squads were/are good enough to be a part of that core, I dont really know what to say.

Lets see what Morey can do. This will be the first true off season knowing Howard and Harden are the core guys. Lets see what he can do to build around them without any surprises.

18. haydenfisher342

Lebron, love, melo, im sorry its not working out. i feel for the betterment of the team, that you should go. Thanks. -morey

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

The core of those teams were built with the draft. Miami started with Wade. San Antonio drafted their core. The pacers drafted George and Hibbert. The Thunder drafted Durant and Westbrook. The Rockets should look to trade up in the draft and get a quality player.

20. solid

How so? The board is filled with trade proposals. There are those who want to trade every member of the team including Howard and Harden. They seem like the core we should build around. Were you here during the majority of Morey's tenure. Players have been coming and going so fast they needed to pin their names onto their lockers. Before the playoffs are even over many want players from other teams. Just look at the other threads.