1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could this Team beat the Warriors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MosKeemYao, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Hey so I saw a post talking about the 2003 All Star Game. It featured

Shaq
    Yao
    Tim Duncan
    KG
    Steve Francis

I am wondering in their 2003 form could this team beat GSW in a series? Can't just use bench to make a more functional lineup for the 03 squad.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dumbest Thread In the History of Clutchfans.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No but I think this team below could:

Camby
    Ben Wallace
    Joey Pryzbilla
    Zydrunas Iglauskas
    Early Boykins

4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

My favorite all-star team in the 2000's for sure, but I don't see a perimeter defender in the bunch. There would be no points in the paint, but 3's beat 2's all day everyday.

5. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Warriors starting 5, on paper, wouldn't appear to be extremely talented. You could even make the case that *on paper*, the Rockets could field a more talented starting 5 than the Warriors (or at least very comparable).

A lot of their success is about chemistry and the system.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Hand check rules?

7. conquistador#11

the 2004 pistons, 2005 spurs and a HEALTHY 2009 rockets can beat any team since 2000s.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think the championship Pistons would be a really interesting matchup for the Warriors.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Urbanization thread died?

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Well I look at it this way

warriors starting 5 have:
    1 all-star DPOY candidate in Green
    1 MVP in Curry
    1 All-star in Thompson
    1 versatile wing player
    1 defensive minded center

if I had to pick players in the last 20 years that could possibly beat them I would go

Gary Payton PG (1 all-star DPOY candidate)
    Paul Pierce (all-star player)
    Shane Battier (versatile wing player)
    KG (MVP)
    Theo Ratliff

11. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Their defense was comparable to the Warriors', but their offense wasn't in the same universe. So watching them play defense against the Warriors would be interesting, but they weren't going to actually beat the Warriors in a series.

If I had to pick a real team since the Jordan/Pippen Bulls, it would be the Celtics team that won the championship.

Rajon Rondo
    Ray Allen
    Paul Pierce
    Kevin Garnett
    Kendrick Perkins

That team had a tremendous defense and a decent amount of offensive firepower. Prime Rondo was a great player and someone who might actually slow Curry a bit. Of course, with neither Rondo nor Perkins able to shoot from further than lay-up range, those Celtics would have exploitable holes for the Warriors, and that Celtics team's bench was pretty mediocre.

12. BackdoorHarden

Yup. Celtics might win two games, then Warriors would do what they did with Memphis and Cavs, just don't bother guarding the guys that can't shoot and pack the lane and no one else can score

13. nemac

nemac Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rup5V8Jxz9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yao was pretty much a rookie in 2003. Curry would tear Steve Franchise up.

Put in 2003form Kobe, Tmac, KG, Duncan, Shaq.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

It would be great if a time machine was invented and GSW travelled back in 1996 to meet 72-10 Bulls...

Having said that, how does Green compare to Pippen? It seems like Green wouldn't put such numbers on another team where he should carry his teammates, while Pippen excelled in that role when Jordan went AWOL.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No all-star team can beat an NBA Champ.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In 2008, Rondo was in his 2nd year. He wasn't close to his prime.

I'd go with the 2010 Lakers. With a frontcourt of Artest (or Odom), Gasol, and Bynum, the Lakers would be able to reduce the pace and control the boards. Plus, there's no way Green would be able to guard Gasol or Bynum.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I wouldn't go that far... that '96 Eastern All-Star team was pretty nice. In fact going back and looking at some of these all-star teams its crazy to think how many good players played in the 90's.

This team consisted of

Penny Hardaway* - G
    Michael Jordan - G
    Grant Hill* - F
    Scottie Pippen - F
    Prime Shaq - C

* = during this time in their careers, before injury were considered as the best in the league

All 2-way players. Back then Shaq could run the floor well enough to keep up. I think Scottie was versatile enough to play a stretch 4 and imho will always be better than Draymond Green. All could switch on defense with Shaq monitoring the paint. I just don't think the Warriors team could beat this All-Star team in a 7 same series. I just don't see it.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Pau went 0-8 and 6-12 in their two meetings this year (GS v CHI). Although Pau is 6 years older today than that 2010 team, it's not out of the imagination that Green could defend Pau.

And Bogut would be on Bynum.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In terms of a basketball career, 6 years is a big deal, especially when talking about a 29 year old vs a 35 year old player.

Also, in both those games, Gasol played fewer than 27 minutes and started at center (alongside Gibson/Mirotic at PF). And wouldn't that mean he was guarded by Bogut and not Green?