1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Could be an All Big 12 Rose Bowl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Desert Scar, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

With UCLA losing big right now and VTech lost, if the Big 12 favoriate wins out it very well could be an all Big 12 Rose Bowl with the Nebraska-OU winner and Texas.

Why?

Miami has 4 loseable games left. They would have to lose 1.

The only other hitch might be Florida, but they are behind Texas in the BCS and also have 4 loseable games left if they beat Georgia today.

Prospects are looking brighter for Texas, they might get back in the picture even w/o a Big 12 Championship game visit. Of course if OU loses to either Tech or A&M, both definetely losable games, Texas controlls its own destiney entirely barring a UCLA miracle finish.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I guess the Rose Bowl is the only bowl where two conference teams can play each other (its BCS 1 vs BCS 2). I wouldn't put money on it in the Sugar, Fiesta, or Orange.

I'd like to see a Nebraska (12-0) vs. Texas (10-1) for the national championship. That would mean the Sooners would have 2 losses and can kiss their BCS hopes goodbye.

If NU and UT meet in Dallas, and NU wins, then I also don't see the Horns playing in a BCS bowl.

A 10-1 Texas team is virtually guaranteed a BCS birth, not the Rose of course.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Horns simply need to take care of business. Sugar Bowl officials were on hand last week against CU. Word around Austin, is that as long as we finish 10-1, then we're playing in the Sugar Bowl against a team like Michigan or Florida. As far as the Rose Bowl goes, it will be difficult to get in unless we win a big game such as the Big 12 championship. I don't consider the gomer game at Kyle to be a marquee matchup.

The program has made significant strides under Mack, and hopefully will continue to improve. This is as good a team as we've had in my four years at The University.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Desert Scar,
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think that you will see an all Big 12 Rose Bowl. Yes, Miami has some tough games coming up, but let's take an in-depth look at each one of them:

11-10 at Boston College - BC has a nice little team, but so does alot of other schools like Florida State, Maryland, Georgia, etc. Miami hasn't lost to the BC Eagles since the Hail Flutie play 17 years ago. Anything is possible but this is the lowest probable game for Miami to lose along with the Temple game.

11-17 vs. Syracuse - Definitely, a bigger game now than it was 2 or 3 weeks ago. The Orangemen are on a roll, winning 7 in a row. However, this game is in Miami & although the Orange have a good defense, Miami's offense is a step up from VA Tech. Still, this will be a stern test. Greater probability of an upset here than against BC.

11-24 vs. Washington - A game that if it was played when it was originally scheduled, I think Miami would have won easily because of the inexperience at QB for Washington. Now, the Huskies have basically all season to get their act together and this obviously makes them tougher to beat. You can't ever tell about the PAC-10, but don't think that Miami will be ready to play this game. After all, it was Washington that cost Miami a chance at playing for the National Championship. Just like in 1989 when Miami hammered Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl to avenge a close loss to the Irish up in South Bend in 1988, I see Miami doing the same thing to Washington - this will be the most ready that you will see them play.

12-1 at Virginia Tech - Although Tech lost today, this is still the game that Miami and its fans fear the most. Think about it: Miami will be coming off an emotional week against Washington, the game is at Blacksburg where Miami hasn't won since 1993, and the weather could be a factor in that it could be below 30 degrees. If Miami is 10-0 going into this game, this would be the game to see them fall. I think, however, that they will realize what's at stake and find a way to beat the Hokies. Tech has got a great defense, but they have not seen an offense like the Canes. Also, Tech's offense doesn't scare me, but Tech makes enough big plays to get by.

So, it boils down to this:

Boston College - literally no chance
    Syracuse - some hope but not alot considering in the Orange Bowl
    Washington - same as Syracuse and Miami will be focused more than ever on this game
    Virginia Tech - your one really solid chance of seeing a loss

However, I never would have thought that Syracuse would beat VA Tech in Blacksburg today, so maybe BC can pull an upset or someone else beats Miami before Tech. Hopefully not, but we will see how it turns out.