1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 6-8 weeks with torn thumb ligament

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

correct. That is an acl injury. I am just showing what a tendon looks like when it is partially torn.

I am sure he really felt it was a jammed thumb, but when you jam things they feel lifeless. Similar to what a torn ligament feels like.

Tough SOB to play with that I am sure, but the Astros trainers failed to do their job properly. He never got an MRI obviously and had he did, he would already be on the DL for a shorter time then what he has to now.

Why rush with a 16.5 game lead?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I know what a torn tendon looks like... an ACL is slightly more pronounced than any ligament in the arm or thumb.

Do you know for sure that he never got an MRI? Do you know how accurate an MRI is at picking up partial tears? This is a front office/organization/training staff that MRI's draft picks at the slightest hint of problems.

Also, at the end of the day, a jam/sprain/tweak on some level is a partial tear. It doesn't always lead to DL trips, especially if symptoms improve enough on their own... and in this case, he felt good enough to play the next 4 games, go to the all-star game, take part in all festivities there, and play in that game.

I see you're stating with certainty that he's not going to come back at full strength this year... yet where was this certainty 2 weeks ago when he suffered the initial injury, then came back and played at the same (if not better) level?

Again, hindsight can make anybody look like a genius or like an idiot.... but complaining only in hindsight usually leads to only one of those circumstances.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

Two things that may differ from your injury...

1 - Correa is a world class athlete with a bat speed in the neighborhood of 85 Mph. I'm guessing his bat speed will recover better than a HS pitcher's bat speed which is typically in the neighborhood of 65 Mph.

2 - I haven't seen that the thumb injury has been diagnosed fully. Is it a UCL tear, or an RCL tear? If it's a UCL tear (like Trout's), his recovery time may be longer or more arduous. If it's the RCL, there is less stress on the ligament during the swing, and therefore less of an impact on him.

as an aside, I tore my UCL (right/primary thumb) about 8 years ago. It definitely had an impact on my grip strength for 6 or more months.. but my rehab and surgery options were vastly different than Correa's.

Yaosthirdleg and BigMaloe like this.
  4. tmacfor35

I know you have a knack for arguing, but I have personal experience with this injury. Bryce Harper was another.

I am not saying I am a genius by any means, but there is only so much you can do to heal a ligament. Its much more difficult that a muscle injury.

His symptoms were that he was still in quite a bit of discomfort. He mentioned that. He should have been shut down. An MRI, will pick up partial tears if they are more severe and there is reason to believe his was.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He seems to admit it was bothering him prior to the all-star break. It was just a poor decision for him not to rest it fully coming out of the break. He should know we have a lot more at stake than all-star game appearances. I hope it's a memorable lesson for him.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Does anyone know trouts stats from the same injury this year before and the following few weeks returned?

7. tmacfor35

It really doesn't matter how fast I swung or how fast he swung. It really matters about recovery. If you can make an argument stating his body can heal faster than mine or any average humans then be my guess. He's going to be logging around a cast for the next 4-5 weeks.

I can almost guarantee it will be a UCL injury.

Gaining grip strength is a big step once you remove the cast. You can't rush back in to it.

8. SuraGotMadHops

For crying out loud dude, we get it, you're the expert, you called it, you were right, the Astros messed up. Rejoice in your superior knowledge of thumb ligament tears over not only us, but the entire Astros medical staff as well.

Yaosthirdleg and texans1095 like this.
  9. tmacfor35

I'm not rejoicing at all. I just got chastised for saying he did last night by a few people last night. Respec

10. HstnSprtsFan101

Pretty huge loss. Who knows how he'll come back. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road and he hits the ground running. Great opportunity for Moran who I've been wanting to see get another shot. Hopefully he ceases the opportunity this time. I think he will.

Yaosthirdleg and Hemo_jr like this.
  11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Are you saying this for the rest of this season or loss of bat speed for his career. If so wouldn't that mean Mike Trout won't be the same ?

12. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Have we not had our fair share already ? The entire rotation out at one point save for fiers

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

Temporary loss of bat speed. If he is quick with recovery maybe by the time playoffs come around.

Chances are better it will be regained in the offseason though.

14. KeuchelForPresident

When all is said and done, and regardless of what combination of fielding assignments HInch gives to Yuli/Bregman/Moran/Marwin, we lose a .966 OPS bat for about two months and that bat gets replaced by Moran's, which I'll take a wild guess turns out to be a .800 OPS bat over that same period. So, we will have lost .166 OPS points in total offense.

If, at the same time, Hinch takes this time to replace Aoki with a better left field bat (Fisher) and possibly Beltran (decrease playing time in favor of Marisnick/Gattis), he can probably get a net gain of .139 OPS points (if we assume Fisher hits .800 vs Aoki's current .661) on the LF move and squeeze another .030 OPS points at least out of the DH move. Collectively, that amounts to adding .169 OPS points in total offense.

I'm estimating and making educated guesses here - this is not hard math - but the point simply being here that if the skipper makes some timely moves, he can steer the ship in such a way that we don't suffer a net loss of offense. As for the defensive impact of losing Correa & Aoki and bringing up Moran & Fisher, that's another topic altogether.

jim1961 likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

16. CrushCity

CrushCity Member

I had the same injury in left thumb. after surgery I was ready to go in 6 weeks... back to the gym.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bat speed is generated with core muscles and legs...I don't know why a thumb injury would cause lack of bat speed.
    Richard Hidalgo lost bat speed cause he bulked up everything but core muscles and legs...Correa will be fine.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Beltran in the 3 spot.

19. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

Get well and hurry back Los :(

Knew it was bad last night.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He was hitting .337 with a 1.203 OPS before the injury (a typical Trout year). He's only played 3 games since coming back, but he's hit .333 with a .718 OPS

BigMaloe likes this.