1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 6-8 weeks with torn thumb ligament

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Just for all to understand, I did tear a thumb ligament playing basketball in high school.

I was a pitcher who did hit and I can tell you right now that Correa's bat speed will not be recovered when he gets back. It takes a long time to recover full mobility.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

So you think the Correa we know is gone until 2018?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think he'll definitely be back in 2017, but the effectiveness is the question. I know a thumb ligament tear and a wrist fracture aren't the same thing, but I keep thinking back to Springer's return in September 2015... and his first two weeks back were ugly. Looked it up, and in his 14 games after returning, he had a .608 OPS with only 2 extra-base hits (0 HR) in 64 plate appearances.

Crossing fingers that Correa gets back soon enough to get at least some rhythm before running into October pitching.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Bad news. We need our leader. Assuming it's not surgery, just recovery. Making it back in time for the playoffs will settle things down.

Altuve now the MVP frontrunner. Take it.

Everyone has to step up their game.

mikol13 likes this.
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Altuve for MVP on full tilt now. He'll have a shot with 210+ hits, .950+ OPS, and Astros winning 100 games.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Well he is having surgery on it. Mike Trout missed 7-1/2 weeks earlier this season with the same procedure.

Uprising likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

I would be very surprised if he retains the bat speed he had prior to injury.

Being on his left hand he's losing directional support and the ability to release the bat as strong with a ligament that will have lost temporal mobility.

He's not going to be the same guy initially.

You should be angry at the medical team.

My guess is that he had a minor tear(3 week dl stint) after the home plate collision. We witnessed the full tear last night. A more careful approach may have prevented this.

FLASH21 and The Cat like this.
  8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Their entire rotation minus kershaw has probably spent time in the DL (even if some have been fake dl stints since they have the depth). Turner was hurt some, AGon. Mainly their rotation

Edit: lol deleted the repeated part

#28 Rockets12, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  9. tmacfor35

Those injuries are both going to have major impacts on bat speed and the ability to release the bat on impact.

He's going to see a big drop off in power.
    Astros might need to find a big bat like JD Martinez to fill the void.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WELL F***!!!!!

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ugh. Glad we have such a large lead.... Which is insane for how many injuries this team has sustained at so many different positions.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

We're deep enough to handle it. We'll still get to 100 wins.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Damnit, this sucks donkey balls.

14. tmacfor35

We will if current Marwin is real.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Looked up Bryce Harper, who tore his thumb ligament in 2014 and missed two months... SLG of .430 prior to the injury, and then a SLG of ~.340 in his first month after returning. Yup, this could be significant.

BigMaloe and FLASH21 like this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Our regular season is not in jeopardy. But this isn't about the regular season. No one can tell you what Correa will look like this season, that's impossible. Hopefully there's enough recovery time for him to make a playoff impact as that's when we'll need him. Really really shitty timing for a team that has a legit world series shot.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. HTM

HTM Member

shitty timing would be a month from now... this isn't the end of the world he should have some time to come back.

18. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I'm 99% sure he hurt in on that slide home in Atlanta when he tried to catch the pitcher sleeping. Hinch took him out of that game, remember?

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I mean, he's definitely due for regression, but Astros only have to go 38-31 rest of the way to get to 100 with a super easy schedule. They should be fine.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. tmacfor35

It's a weird injury. Not sure if anyone here has experienced it. It feels broken in regards to mobility, but little pain associated with it. I've never swung a bat with one before like Carlos has but I have after 6 weeks after doing it.

Your thumb feels like dead weight on your hand. It's not fun.