1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa, Altuve, Springer, McCullers,and Keuchel named All Stars

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sealclubber1016, Jul 2, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

None of them are going to take a discount. The only question is will any of them be willing to sign extensions rather than hitting the opening market.

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Only upside I can see from this is Marwin not making All-Star may make his price cheaper when his contract is up o_O

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is exactly what I would have guessed from all 3 of those guys. I have said before, I thought Correa would leave the first chance he got. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but the whole TeamCorrea approach to me seems super corporate...and I don't think loyalty will get in the way of his business. I'm not sure how much of that is actually Correa or the people around him.

Enjoy it while you have him.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Aren't him Springer and Tuve boys?

I'm not buying Carlos story. Sounds like a bad opinion voiced out.

Hearing his parents story as told by Carlos, you can see how genuine he is.

If Springer or Altuve stay he will as well.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I believe the Carlos story as it was told to the poster. It's also likely 3rd or 4th hand info from the man himself. Correa still strikes me as a humble guy. As humble as a 22yr old with a lot of fame and some money is likely to be. As much success and press as Altuve and Springer have had, Correa's hype is another level and he's aware I'm sure. 4 years is a long time and winning with his friends can be a real influence.

At the same time, if we're lucky enough to see a championship with these guys, he could consider his job done here and see what the bright lights are like. Either way glad to have this group and we'll take it one year at a time.

6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I don't doubt that Correa is genuine, but I know two people who work for the Astros and have plenty of interactions and they have the same opinion about Correa. They say he's a great guy but that he definitely thinks extremely highly of himself and that they think he will leave for a big market team first chance he gets.

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Correa's quote from earlier in the season below. If he doesn't get an offer before arbitration then he may hold some resentment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2703827-carlos-correa-clarifies-position-on-signing-contract-extension-with-Astros

Following recent comments made by his agent with regard to being against an early, multiyear contract extension, Houston Astros shortstop Carlos Correa clarified his position Friday.

According to Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle, Correa is keeping an open mind: "I'm not shutting the door. The price has got be right, you know what I mean? And it's got to be early. Once I get to arbitration there's no turning back."

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Hopefully Beltran tells him playing in New York is not always as good as it seems to be...

Houstunna and texans1095 like this.
  9. tmacfor35

Are they players? I just have a hard time understanding someone who openly tells people in the clubhouse he's leaving in 4 years. That doesn't get said and relationships remain the same in a clubhouse. I'm calling bullshit.

I'm not discrediting that you heard it but that it doesn't add up. I just ain't buying how legitimate it is. Sounds like an opinion more than anything.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would be hesitant to judge anyone when they're on an obvious emotional high and alcohol is involved. Beyond that, I would chalk that up more to maturity than I would diva - Olney isn't the first reporter to be doused in champagne in a celebratory locker room.

As for the big market stuff... who knows how credible the information is (even if @awc713's information about it is 100% credible) - it might be the board idly speculating. Bottom line: he's 22 & it doesn't appear like Houston has been a hindrance to ascendance so far - he's probably the AL's starting shortstop for the next decade and he's likely to be involved in playoffs for the next several years. He'll figure out soon enough that he doesn't need to be in NY to reach all his professional branding goals.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Fair enough about riding the emotional high, but there was definitely not enough time for alcohol to be consumed and for it to have an effect at that point, so I would strike that as a cause. Thing is, is thats the last thing youd expect from the humble 18yr old kid that was drafted. I said on the day we drafted him and was interviewed- if this kid becomes half as good as he his humble and respectful, hed be all-world. I see your point about the maturity over the diva argument, but its been little things here and there that can be pointed out about him (bat flips being one) not being the humble kid we once knew and I can still see a little diva coming out of him from here on as he continues to ascend into more fame.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Sidebar, but I wonder if us keeping Correa at SS (instead of moving him to 3B and AB to SS) was done to keep Correa happy here.

13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I agree that a player isn't going to be going around the clubhouse telling people he's leaving. The people I talked to said that it was more of their feeling just from being around him (not anything against Correa, just the fact that he seems to like the bright lights) and the fact that they have sat in on meetings with Crane where he has said that he's not going to keep/sign a player unless it makes sense financially. I wouldn't be surprised if he considered a potential ( in the 10 year $300 million range) contract a bad investment.

That being said, this is all a few years down the road and really not worth worrying about at this time. Nonetheless, it is an intriguing conversation.

14. tmacfor35

Well. I think whatever Correa, Altuve, Springer get on the market is what makes financially.

You have possibly one of the best trio of players in the league on one team.

I saw an AL MVP vote recently with

Springer, Correa, Altuve as the 2,3,4 in voting in that order.

Make them lifers by using the $$$

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Also, apologies for bringing up somewhat sad "news"

Let's enjoy the ride! Never seen a squad as good as this. UNREAL.

16. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

This is why we can't have nice stuff.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lance Zerlein said on air today a couple of his sports colleagues told him NYY will try VERY HARD to sign him.

The Puerto Rican influence in NY is immense.
    Of course

He's improved defensively since his rookie season, so not much hurt there.

18. Buck Turgidson

Lulz at all the "inside info" that says CC might want to go to NY in a few years. No ****ing ****.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah, I don't know why this is so shocking to some of the people in this thread. From the desire to be one of the best ever in the game to his super metro wardrobe...everything has screamed NY to me.

20. samtaylor

samtaylor Member