1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

{Controversial} Are white players overpaid?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 10, 2014.

?

In general are white players overpaid?

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant is white!??!?!

2. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

well parsons had thusfar made ~3M in his career... he hasn't been overpaid to this point lol. If he makes $45M over the next 3 seasons, he would average $8M/yr for his career (assuming he puts up similar numbers to this year for the next 3 years, it honestly would not be that bad). He was going to make ~$12M a year anyways moving forward, so taking a bit more money out of Les' pocket is fine with me as long as we land Bosh or another max FA first.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

FIFY ;)

But it is crazy that GH and CP got max deals....not deserved

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

well the average salary per win share is $1.7M, so parson's was valued at ~$13M for his production last season. If you factor in that another team has to overpay slightly because he is RFA, $15M doesn't look nearly as bad...

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

If the mavs didnt offer the max to Parsons, the rockets would have matched.
    so, it was more about the situation, than race.

6. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Nah man, you're just seeing things. It's confirmation bias. For every Matt Maloney, there's a Mo Taylor, Stromile Swift, and Kelvin Cato too. Some dudes get overpaid, some underpaid. I don't care what color an overpaid player's skin is, I'd just prefer that he play for someone else, unless we're over the cap either way.

7. SeabrookMiglla

oh definitely, i mean we are talking people who live vicariously through players on the court. if you have a league where the majority of players are black, playing in a country that is primarily white, then you may have trouble sparking public interest. this is not only in basketball too, i think in all sports you see certain athletes of a given ethnicity getting favored over others in 'X' country. its just how it is, no need to be politically correct about it.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

I first thought this thread was stupid. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Hayward and Parsons are getting paid this offseason, moreso than players that are better than them. Lowry, Randolph, and Isiah Thomas are good examples of it.

9. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

the reason they are getting overpaid is because they have much more potential than those players. Those players are either in/exiting their primes and most likely will be declining in a few years. Parsons/Hayward will be just entering their primes at the time their contracts end.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chris Bosh - NUFF SAID !

DD

11. VanityHalfBlack

Plural???

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

What about guys like Stephenson. You think he's reached his peak? Even Lowry has room to improve. I know nobody wants to take about race but the 2 worst contracts that were handed out this off season were to white dudes. Is that just a coincidence? I doubt it. I think race definitely bumps up a white player by a good 10-20%. I'm not saying it doubles their salary but I am fairly certain if Hawyard was a black player he would not be making the max.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lowry and Isiah Thomas are bad examples because PG's are completely different markets with high supply and low demand.

Athletic wings are in super high demand.

More just comparisons are Ariza, Deng, and Paul Pierce who all got passed on for Parsons by the Mavs & Hornets & got significantly less.

And Paul Pierce is a better player than all of these guys. He had a decline in production last year, but had a terrible situation for half the season. However he was in great health, and the season before he had a monster season.

I think the NBA definitely over scrutinizes older players for sure. Much more than your racial controversy.

14. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Stephenson's value is severely deflated because of his on court antics and reputation as a bad locker room character guy and knucklehead. If he behaved himself on the court/with the team, his value would have been much higher.

I would like to see statistical analysis of this though. You could definitely argue that contracts like Arenas/Stat/Kobe (his most recent deal) were all by far much worse contracts than Parsons/Hayward. I don't think 2 white guys getting overpaid is enough to make a broad generalization that white players are more overpaid than black players IMO.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Duke players are overpaid I can tell you that.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

RFA vs UFA. Teams had to offer more to try to get their original teams not to match, kind of like what we did with Lin and Asik.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What in the hell is this garbage thread?

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Greg Monroe & Eric Bledsoe???

19. BackdoorHarden

That's racist! - Stephen Jackson / JR Smith and the Brotherhood

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ryan Anderson

/thread