1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conservative homeowner arrested for shooting would-be thief

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 30, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are definitely making excuses even if you don't consciously realize it.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I feel bad he was murdered... as a child of god he didn't deserve that. But that's where my empathy ends.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Cult members think like you.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so why keep bringing him and blaming him and defending his murderer?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Exactly. Your empathy ends at understanding people's upbringings and the conditions they were exposed to hence why you need to improve that specific skill.

6. fchowd0311

Can you assign me a cult leader because for someone who's part of a cult I don't even know who my cult leader is.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He'd be alive if the policeman made better choices. You're victim shaming. She would't have gotten raped if she made better choices, his house wouldn't have been robbed if he made better choices, etc.

Patience, ThatBoyNick and DVauthrin like this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

When did I defend him? I have done nothing of the sort. Why do you lie?

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Empathy is a feeling not a skill.

I already said I feel bad that he died.

Just sayin he'd be alive if he lived a righteous life. No lie there. It's all quite sad.

I think it's interesting that you and others here want to police people's thoughts and feelings.

10. fchowd0311

You keep on saying that Floyd is a victim of unfortunate circumstances that are partly his fault. Imagine saying that a rape victim is partially at fault and the rape was a result of unfortunate circumstances.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I said like a cult. I didn't say you were in one... unless you feel like that struck a nerve then you should reexamine your life.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You're taking it out of context. No one is blaming him.

13. fchowd0311

Empathy is a combination of a learned skill and innate trait. If you can foster a environment that teaches empathy to children then it's partially a learned skill.

And I hate when people resort to "Stop policing my thoughts and restricting my rights to express them". No, me expressing that you lack empathy skills isn't me trying to police you. It's me freely expressing my thoughts of you as a poster and how I think you view the world. You have the freedom to ignore me. There is no policing going on here. Be a grown up.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He would be! I agree that the police man is at fault. No one is shaming the victim beyond making a factual observation about the life he chose to live and it's a simple numbers game. More police encounters and crimes... the more chance of some criminal doing you in. In this case it happened to be a cop. He ultimately made his choice to live a poor life of crime and paid dearly. That was his choice though so my empathy is limited for such a man. Deal with it. Not everyone is going to feel bad for the career criminal who died. I feel much worse for innocent men who were trying to live good lives who die. That's a rare instance but it happens and it's far more noteworthy and worth more than such a man you and others are idolizing.

15. fchowd0311

You definitely are by saying his "circumstances" are partially due to his fault of being a "career criminal".

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Anyone born black in a ghetto is given to more dangerous police encounters by that virtue alone. That's kind of the point. You're being completely obtuse. Deal with it.

If police can met out street justice and murder based on who they like or don't like then that underscores the problem.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not getting into a value of property debate, personally I would not shoot anybody over property but acknowledge legally its condoned.

But why is this debate being raised over a flag?

18. fchowd0311

The vast majority of people you consider bad in their perspective believe they tried their best at living a good life.

The only way you will to fully empathize is understanding that our will is not free in the sense that most of our emotions, motivations, desires, sexual preferences, views of the world politically and socially which constitute our "will" are not of our own agency but factors out of our control such as how we were raised, were we were born, the experiences that we have etc.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

So do police not exist in your mythical world? I just want to know...

Patience, DVauthrin and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You also have this case where a homeowner got convicted of 1st degree murder when people actually broke into his house.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings