1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Connick Jnr. starts race row over tv skit in Australia.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Gakatron, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,26181031-10229,00.html

Now I am interested(as to me it was a non issue) in what you guys(Both American and non Americans) think. Now before watching the video please take these things into note, things that I am sure the do gooder cry babies won't.

- This show was a 2 off reunion show for a show called Hey Hey Its Saturday that ran for a long time in Australia and finished in 1999.
    - It was on a segment called 'Red Faces' which is basically a competition for stupid acts, it was not written by the shows writers.
    - They asked the act to perform because they did the skit 20 years ago on the show when they were in med school and they are now all doctors. There was no reaction back then.
    - There is an Indian and a man of African decent in the group, two races that in the course of Australian history at times have been treated poorly but yet they decided this would be fine to do.

Here is the video.
    <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMAyGewq37w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMAyGewq37w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

A couple of points I want to make and am happy to debate.

- This show is Australian, it was broadcast to Australia only(obviously it was also streamed on sites like Justin.tv etc.) the only thing in the skit that seems to mock skin color is the fact that he had changed from black to white 20 years down the track. Forget the fact MJ just died because they were reliving something that happened 20 years ago. I live with an Australian aboriginal and he was no way offended that they painted their faces black, he said this morning 'no one would be offended if I painted my face white so why is it an issue?'

- Now I know that American history makes this a more complex issue than here in Australia and that if this was being broadcast on American tv then perhaps a reaction would be justified. However, it was shown on AUSTRALIAN TV ONLY for an Australian audience. So my point is, is it really Harry Connick Jnr's place to comment on something and kick up a stink when he is in another country on a domestically broadcast show?

Anyways interested in the thoughts of you guys, remembering different histories and this was for Australian audiences not yours.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I didn't find it particularly funny or offensive

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's not like Harry found this clip online and flew into Australia to make a statement. He was there, it would be wrong of him to not say anything if it really bugged him. He did preface it at the beginning by saying that it wouldn't be acceptable where he's from.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't understand the problem. That routine is highly offensive to Americans. Harry was invited on the show, he was offended, and he said as much. If you don't like it, don't ask his opinion and don't invite him back if that's the kind of skits you do.

Only thing I would say is if it's all Australian to Australians and such and on and on then why are they black facing American artists with an American on the show? That's just ignorant.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Nice thread Gakatron.

I saw this and thought it was a bit over the top on Harry's part.

I laughed when he said "we have spent years in America trying NOT to make blacks look like buffoons"

Ah, yeah, well said Mr Connick.

I love Harry Connick by the way.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Can I also make the point that Dave Chappelle and other comedians of his ilk can get away with racial murder because its in the name of entertainment and comedy.

So make of that what you will.

7. Gakatron

All I asked was your opinions. Also you have never seen one of your shows make fun of another country on a show that may not air there? I understand he may of felt offended but he forced the presenter to do an on air apology, he was there because the show had him and he was trying to boost publicity then general feeling here is he came across as a jerk worried about protecting his own backside, I guess in times of no youtube it wouldn't of mattered. I did not find the skit funny it was more just meant to be an act they did 20 years ago as a musical and dance piece more than anything, I find it stupid people have got nothing better to do than claim it was a race thing when it clearly wasn't, maybe its just I find what are better things to do with my time than b**** and complain like a lot of society these days.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what the history of black face has been in Australia but he is right that that would be offensive in the US.

I don't think this is a big deal and Harry Connick basically said that he has nothing against Australians but was expressing his opinion about how that would be considered in the US.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How is it not a race thing? They painted their faces black and wore huge afros to make themselves look like black people. He was offended and wanted to disassociate himself from the skit. What's wrong with that? He has every right to be concerned with his image. That's his livelihood.

I just think it's weird that you're upset that he was upset when you don't admit it was an ignorant thing to do with an American on the panel.

1 person likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're getting too worked up over this. This wasn't Harry Connick sayign that Australians were racist just pointing out that they were being unintentionally offensive because they didn't know how an American would react. I can't tell from the clip if he forced the presenter to do an on air apology. It seems to me like the presenter decided to do an apology just because he chose to apologize to Harry Connick just to let him know nothing was intended.

All this seems like a cultural misunderstanding. Things like this happen and as similar as the US and Australia is there is still a lot that is different.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

It was a tribute to the Michael and the Jackson's.

Obviously a bit ignorant on the producers of the show's part - but nonetheless they were doing it in the right spirit.

12. Mute3427

Mute3427 Member

I'm not exactly sure what you would expect Connick to do in that situation. To me, only having seen the clip, it looked like the producers/host presented the opportunity for the apology. He even went as far as to play it off when it happened. You have to understand this would spark an 8 month long debate(to put it mildly) on racial prejudice across all networks and probably result in a handful of job openings over here.

Comparing it to chapelle or saying it was done in the right spirit are just easy outs. Chapelle could paint his face stark white and throw around racial slurs and it still wouldn't have the same impact this would have.

In the end it's just a cultural misunderstanding more than anything, it happens.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Which is exactly my point - why can HE get away with it?

He is American, no?

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Because white people in the United States haven't been the ones persecuted for hundreds of years, but black people have... and, according to civil right activists, Dave is a great comedian. :D I think.

Same reason THIS is funny:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SBJx_Ig5t8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SBJx_Ig5t8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"I do the same exact bit... same comedic timing... why can Chris Rock do it? Is it because he's black?" :D

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks for Dictating to me what should and should not offend me
    Thanks for allowing me to submit to your obviously superior opinions and allow it to be my own.
    Thanks for not allowing someone of my lowly station the opportunity to be offended by things that obviously I have not the ability to *Truly* understand
    :rolleyes:

Wow! Just wow!

BTW - thanks for throwing in the . . . I-have-a-friend-who-has-dark-skinned-and-he-not-offended line in there. . . just made it . .. . just overly impressive. . . The story would not be the same without it.

Rocket River
    "You name is TOBY!!!!"
    "No . . .It's Kunta Kente!"
    *SWACK*WHIP*BEATEN*SMACK*
    "It's TOBY, BOY!!!"
    :mad: :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  16. Mute3427

Mute3427 Member

I never said he would get away with it. There would undoubtedly be some criticism and commentary associated with it, but nothing remotely near what the above would cause. It's a matter of American history dating back to the colonies and the rise of slavery.

17. Gakatron

This was put in D&D so if you can't add to the debate why bother? I asked opinions and I provided me own, others provided theirs... you provided nothing, so why bother?? stupid or so far up your own ass you felt the need to comment on how I wrote the post over adding anything of value?

18. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Thanks for clarifying.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm going to put it to you this way... :eek: I don't know too much, but I am not going to defend this... I try to stay out of this here D&D thingie, but...

In Mexico, there is this comedian... his nickname name is Zamorita... he's mulatto. I don't know his ancestry or if he were born in Mexico, but he is obviously "different" than most of the other comedians there because he's black, so he's cast all the time as the "attendant" and the "help" and the "waiter"... because he's black. Now, in Mexico, this racial stuff is accepted because there isn't an ACLU or just... heck I don't know... because there aren't that many black folks and so the few ones find a way to quickly be noted... of course they are. The comedy is different. In a show, they might be saying "Ay! Un sapo Negro!" (a black toad!) and it's funny... but no one gets offended down there. I'm all "WTF? Here in the states someone would be getting fired for something like that."

The point I am trying to make is that culture from place to place is different. Obviously, Australia has different "norms" and issues range in different hemispheres... but... I am not offended when they do "Mexican Telemundo" on SNL or if I see 'Mexican 300.' But I have learned not to say certain things about other people.

It's the culture and the place. Here in the states, don't try that. Spike Lee can make "Bamboozled" and it's OK, because he is presenting it in an "artist's manner." It's still wrong, but people in different places handle it differently.

20. Gakatron

Sorry to double post. Aborigines are the main black race in Australia and have been treated poorly by the whites who came here, I pointed this out thought not the same it was a similar situation that as a black person he did not find it offensive. Obviously it does add something.