1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Help!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by franchise403, Aug 2, 2009.

1. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I am not completely computer illiterate but I sure am not very literate either so with that said... I was using att dsl and I have the 2wire modem/router. I have now switched to grande communications as it is the only thing available in my area. Is it possible for me to use the 2wire solely as a wireless router with the broadband connection? I figured it would be possible but when I tried to set it up I had no idea what I was doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ok.. is that 2wire thing a modem that was issued by your previous ISP or is it a router that you can buy at a retail store?

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Not entirely. If the 2wire modem has an ethernet in port, then yes. Most likely it is a dual dsl modem and router combo, so thats a no. Go to the boys in blue and buy a new router, or if you can wait, go to newegg.com and buy a router. In general, it's better to start over technologically than to try and upgrade in pieces all the time. I know the routers will run you like $40, but it's worth it.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

To add to that... get a dual-link Wireless-N router... it's a great investment for the future whenever you buy a new computer with a wireless-n card.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

6. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

Awesome...thanks for the replies. I figured I was going to have to break down and purchase a new router. Thanks for the help.