1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Book Fans/Collectors Unite!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BlastOff, Oct 26, 2001.

1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I had been collecting since the late seventies but stopped around the mid-90s. I used to collect mostly Marvel Comics (all of the X-books, all SpiderMan books, Transformers, Powerman/Iron Fist, Daredevil, Iron Man, Punisher, etc.). For a while I even collected many of Images' titles (Spawn 1 - 30, Brigade, StormWatch (one my all-time favs), WildC.A.T.S., Gen13, Union, Pitt...heck, just about everything they did before 1996. I also have a few DC comics too.

I would like to start collecting again. Any fans out there have any recommendations? Thanks!

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You sound like a Marvel guy, so there's probably not much I can do for you...

There is a new Joe, though. And I hear Transformers will be done again. (Old trades are being released now).

3. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Hey Rokkit -

A new Joe? Who's doing it...Marvel?

The only thing I like about the new Transformers is the logo. Everytime I see Optimus as an ape (Beast Wars) and a fire truck I want to hurl. But as far as the old trades, hmmmm.....

4. Coach AI

Well the thing with Beast Wars is it's kind of different set of mythos/setting (that wasn't actually Optimus) than what came before. I've never seen it, but I've heard a lot about it and the writing on it was to be heads and shoulders above anything seen before. I respect it because it kept TFs alive when they could have easily gone the way of Thundercats or something.

As far as the new stuff...well, it's meant for kids. Little kids. I knew that ahead of time so it doesn't bother me. The figures though...good God. They didn't make toys like that when I was young. The fire truck Prime may be the best Transformer ever made. It's kind of nice that the kids get to see vehicles like I grew up on again, in any case.

Supposedly, it's kind of a stopgap. Hasbro is working on the next TF project, again a mature sort of series.

As for the New Joe - it's an Image release. I think the first issue is in it's second printing already. You should check it out if you like Joe stuff.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Can anyone tell me if my "Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters" collection is worth anything?

rH

6. Coach AI

:D :D

7. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Rok -

I'll concede that the new toys are friggin amazing...cheap, even. I bought my kid SkyBite (straight 'A' report card) and the darned thing looks like and even transforms the way it does on TV. We're buying the Optimus, Megatron and hopefully Scourge if it's out by Christmas.

Can't wait for the next generation to come out. I actually liked the direction of the Headmasters and Powermasters series before the Transformers seemed to lose popularity to a few green, muscular turtles.

The new Joe's on Image? Sheesh bud, that could go either way. Hopefully Rob Liefeld is far, far away from that project! I couldn't believe what he did to Captain America. He should have had his citizenship revoked!

8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What did Rob Liefield do to Captain America? I always thought Liefield royally ripped off the art styles of Art Adams and Jim Lee (the guy who did Punisher War Journal at the very beginning).

I have a bunch of old and semi-old comics (stopped collecting in early 90s). I keep waiting for Frank Miller to release his sequel to the Dark Knight Returns so I can sell my 1st editions of the original series at the same price I paid. Guitar pedals are alot more fun than comics.

9. Coach AI

BlastOff: Just curious, do you find the new series pretty popular with your kid and his friends in general? I've been hearing that Hasbro has had a lot of success with the line, but I was wondering what kind of popularity it has.

The new Joe...well, I found the issue interesting. Not much action in it, more like 'setting things up for the second run' but a fun read nonetheless. Artwise, it very much has an "Image" look to it, which could go either way depending on your preference.

subtomic: I *think* the sequel to Dark Knight Returns comes out in November. I'll try and look it up later and see what I can find.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Does anyone NOT love Jim Lee's artwork. sorry to the true believers, but artwork makes the comic. Although I stopped I still value my Image and Marvel collections.

11. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Subtomic -

As I understand it, Marvel handed the title over to Rob. His involvement lasted only 6 issues. Then he went out and created his rip-off, Fighting American, who of course looked much like Cap. I think Marvel even sued him over the book. It was a complete diaster.

I have an image of his rendering for a Cap cover he did on the series, but I don't know how to post it here.

12. rockHEAD

they're not worth much...

ADOLESCENT RADIOACTIVE BLACK BELT HAMSTERS

Four mutant hamsters fight cosmic Jell-O, invade Dizzyworld, drive Winnebagos and more. The first and most successful "four word parody of a parody."

(b & w comic)

1 (1st printing) Chin, Parsonavich SOLD OUT
    1 (2nd printing) Chin, Parsonavich $3.00
    2 Chin, Parsonavich ,Harville, Wood $1.75
    3 Chin, Parsonavich, and Wood $1.75
    4 Chin and Parsonavich $1.75
    5 Chin and Parsonavich $1.75
    6 Chin, Kieth, Nyberg $1.75
    7 Chin, Kieth $1.75
    8 Chin, Kieth, De La Rosa $1.75
    9 Chin, Meyer Jr., Kieth, Parsonavich $1.75

:(

13. rockHEAD

this thread should be retitled, "Invasion of the Comic Book Guys" (a la Simpsons)
    hehehe

:D
    rH

14. Coach AI

Yeah, Lee is great. He and McFarlane joining gave Image the legitimacy it needed when starting out to last.

He did a Superman pic I thought was awesome...wonder if I can find that again...

15. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Rok -

Are you kidding me? Kids love this stuff. As you said earlier, it is packaged for the kids....boys especially.

I knew the Transformers were a hit when my kids put the Pokemon Gameboy games away to watch the show.

16. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

I also agree about Lee. But you've got to give it up to the inkers as well. Scott(?) Williams usually does Lee's inks, and the man is incredible.

Other pencillers that I like are McFarlane (of course), BP Peterson, Brett Booth and Trevor Scott.

I'm also old school, so Walter Simonson is a must. His Thor run was awesome.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No argument here. Wish I had taken better care of my Punisher WAr Journal #1 as its a little creased up. But my favorite artist remains Berni Wrightson. I even have an original print of a picture he did. His early Swamp Thing comics are great and I also like the art he's done for some Steven King books. The only artist today who's somewhat mimics his style is Kelley Jones, but Jones is somewhat inconsistant.

Dark Horse had some cool stuff too. I have the 2nd Alien series which was all airbrushed art. Plus it was really bloody, and when you're 15 and listening to Metallica (like I was back in 1990 - how things have changed), that's what comics are all about.

18. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Hey guys, here's one of the covers. I know we're talking comics, but geez, talk about exaggeration!

[​IMG]

19. Coach AI

:D :D

BlastOff: VERY true about the inkers. Some teams just seem to reach their best work when they work together. When I first started reading I was amazed at how much difference inkers made.

After all, they're just "tracers". ;)

20. Coach AI

Oop. Guess you got it. But man...something looks <i>wrong</i> with that pic...