1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hot Deal Comcast Free Upgrade to Extreme Internet

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by AMS, Feb 26, 2014.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Thanks. Yeah I will try it out this weekend. I was on the phone with Comcast last night and the first rep told had me reset the router of course, even though I had but I played along. Then he transferred me and the next guy had me run speed tests and other stuff I had also already done. The first test was 14 mbps and then he reset the modem and we test again and got 16 mbps and he thought he solved the problem. Just to test, I asked him how fast my speed should be and he had no idea. He said 17-20 is normal but I am supposed to be at 105 mbps now. Since we were screen sharing, I showed him the article about the speed increases in Houston. Of course he could not help me anymore and had to transfer me to Blast Service Rep. I was on hold for about ten minutes and then the call dropped......About a 45 minute call total and absolutely nothing got accomplished.

So I left and went to the gym. At the gym I got a call from Comcast and thought they were being helpful and calling me back since the call dropped. Turns out it was collections because they did not notice that I already paid my bill..She said she could transfer me to Blast if I could give her the number (which i obviously did not have)...I have literally zero good things to say about Comcast....I am barely hanging on here!!

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

You have a Docsis 3.0 modem?

3. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I have the Comcast supplied modem but the tech said that it is capable of reaching 105. Should I just buy my own?

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

what's the model number?

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Arris TG862G

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Try swapping out the modem at a Comcast store. Tell them it doesn't work and they'll swap it for free. If they try to charge you anything then tell them to go **** themselves and go to another Comcast service center.

7. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

My internet was down for 3 days had the 3.0 Modem but wasn't getting over 21Mbps. Rep came out and did some stuff, now I am getting 60Mbps wired but my wifi connections are still around 16Mbps. He acted like any wifi connection will always be cut in half...

Just wondering if yall are experiencing the same issue...

BTW I am paying for the 25Mbps plan.

8. RedRedemption

That rep is an idiot. Even the crappiest router is at least capable of throughputting 150mbps.
    I mean your speeds will be slightly slower due to a multitude of factors, but it really shouldn't be cut in half.

9. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

We have the Blast with a DOCSIS 3.0 and getting around 98 plugged in and 78-80 on wifi, depending on distance.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

He said wifi, not the router. And yes, depending on the frequency used (2.4 or 5) a person can be limited.

11. RedRedemption

Unless he lives in an apartment complex it shouldn't be that big of a problem. That or he has 8+ devices simultaneously connected.
    A loss of ~50mbps is not normal.

12. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I have a Xbox, PS3, Chromebook, Win Laptop, Desktop, and a phone hooked up to the wifi, obviously they are all not using the internet all at once though.

I recently hooked up my old Linksys 54G router and have it placed right near the Comcast provided modem and router because the Comcast one would constantly drop wifi signal. Maybe that could be problem?

Any help to getting me getting Jontro style wifi would be great!

13. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I also am gettin a little more than half mbps when wireless. So almost 100 wired and 60 wireless. Also dependin on the distance it lowers also.

Thinking of turning in the modem im leasing with comcast.

Would buying a modem w built in wireless router fix this problem? If so can anybody recommend one?

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm getting 33MB
    n600 wireless dual band router model wndr3400
    Arris TM722 modem

Should I be getting higher speeds? Reps await.

#94 Ziggy, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  15. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Don't buy a combo modem/wireless router. Here is a decent deal

http://slickdeals.net/f/7117534-net...-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-for-219-99-back-again

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Over wifi, it is pretty normal. Mine operates in the same way. I have 115 over ethernet and around ~55 over wifi when I'm not too far from the router. It also depends on the wireless modem/card that your laptop has, so that affects speeds as well.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Via Wi-FI on the 2.4ghz band.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cahhhhhmon.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wonder why I don't get those speeds on 2.4ghz band. I top out at around 50mb/s on 2.4, and just shy of 100 on 5.

20. Poloshirtbandit

Highest I'm getting is around 40 MB on a wired connection. Power was out for several hours last night so I figure that should count as a reset.