1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College/tuition: The largest of scams in plain site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Aug 24, 2022.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Glad some folks get loans forgiven, but I’m afraid that the campuses across the country that have been charging exorbitant costs for scam degrees, mandatory certain books/items are salivating at the tbough of hoodwinking unassuming young college students into a slew of bullshit because loan policies have gotten more lax.

I’m all for lowering the burden on students, but as we have seen these institutions will take advantage and further hike their costs. Ultimately with bs/scam degrees and more online uni/trump uni like places the tax payer will continue to take the burden of these useless pieces of paper that do nothing to further careers/individuals.

It really is not sustainable and the root of this needs to Be targeted

2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The root of the problem is the inability to default on student loans. Imagine housing prices if everyone was given a house loan straight out of high school.

Phillyrocket and Andre0087 like this.
  3. adoo

adoo Member

no better eg than the now-defunct Trump university.

AleksandarN and ROCKSS like this.
  4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Your life revolves around Trump

5. HTM

HTM Member

The whole student loan/college education system in the USA is a huge ****in mess and one time $10k forgiveness does nothing to address the underlying issues or bring about the desperate reform we need.

It's a fracaso but nobody is doing **** about it in Congress.

Nook and rockbox like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is the problem right here. Just allow the loans to be discharged in bankruptcy like any other debt. It will eliminate the federal loan guarantee and no private lender would then underwrite them. Without student loans basically no one will be able to afford tuition which will force colleges to cut costs or have no customers.

Sajan, Astrodome, Agent94 and 2 others like this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Unpopular but largely correct.

College tuition is so high because there is basically an infinite amount of loans you can get to throw money at schools with.

Nook, Sajan and DaDakota like this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

All of those can qualify for the same forgiveness.

Nook likes this.
  10. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

All I know is Gym Jordan said student loan forgiveness will benefit the wealthy elites. I'm confused. If this were true he would be all for it.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yawn

You're basically a lemming at this point.

Topic --> Hot Take -> done.

No discussion, no reasonable compromises. Just hot garbage from you constantly.

It would be one thing if you were atleast consistent in your beliefs, but its straight down partisan lines always. It is so ****ing boring.

DonnyMost, Sajan, Amiga and 5 others like this.
  12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Can’t speak for plumbers and truckers but I’ve known plenty of police with college degrees and they participate in the PSLF.

Nook, Sajan and AleksandarN like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

At least you took Spanish in college tho? ;)

JuanValdez and AleksandarN like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They cut out a lot of the scam degrees, Le Cordon Bleu used to get government scholarships and once people graduated most got jobs around $15 an hour, the government said that was too low for the cost, and killed the program.

That is also what Trump did with Trump University, scammed people for bogus degrees and banked the government guaranteed payback.

Also, there are 45m people with college debt, over 20m of them have less than 10k, this will get all 20m out of debt - it will have a huge impact on them.....and the average debt is 37k, this will drop 30% off of their debt too.....

I would also like to see 0% loans.....but maybe another day, this is an EXCELLENT start.

DD

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Much respect to you and @Phillyrocket -- I largely agree with y'all -- but I'd say the problem has more complexity.
    1. It's so high b/c it's one part of a pricing game -- sticker price versus what people pay to drive an education off the lot (and many times right into a ditch). Very few students pay the sticker tuition, and I don't mean just b/c they get loans. Schools don't expect very many people (even with loans) to pay full tuition. But the tuition level is there so they can play a game where some more affluent students help pay for other less affluent students. Many colleges actually pay out ~50% of incoming tuition as discounts to students. (You can look up their "discount rates" if interested.) So the average a student pays (even with loans) a much lower number. But then they need loans to reach that too.

2. There's a higher-ed arms race to both satisfy legal, federal, and regional regulations (e.g. having special full-time staff who focus on alcohol abuse so you can survive those lawsuits or check those boxes on some sort of accreditation) and also to compete with other schools for the number of students. We have more college seats than we need, so the market will drive some of these schools out of existence soon enough, I think.
    I think colleges are actually starting to save more and more money on the teacher/professor side, as more and more of that workforce becomes untenured and part-time (and as class sizes keep growing). But they pay more and more for the growing legions of non-teaching staff.

3. Throwing no shade, buuuuut students need a lot more support infrastructure in our troubling (internet-ridden?) times than they once did. It's really shocking and sobering to see how many students in American colleges are going through major anxiety/depression/etc. Then you have whole departments that have to help these students with special testing settings, special coaches, psych services, etc.

I agree that tuitions have to fall (or at least quit growing) but colleges aren't, in most cases, making a profit on their tuitions. From what I've read and from what I've seen up close those non-profit institutions (public and private) who rely on tuition are usually just breaking even, if that, believe it or not. I realize that sounds ridiculous.

I want to make analogies to the healthcare system, but I usually get in trouble when comparing educating someone to curing an illness (and with good reason). :)

Amiga, Deckard, Nook and 2 others like this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Conservatives that btch about how loan forgiveness is unfair r the biggest hypocrites ever. Didn't see their ass btching when they pushed tax breaks for the wealthy.

10k is better than nothing. But it really does nothing bc the high interest loan rates is what kills the students.

Nook, Sajan, AleksandarN and 2 others like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

some of this is over-diagnosis. My wife just told me that where we work, the number of students now requiring special accommodations (for testing, extra time, etc etc) is up 1000% from something like five years ago. This is a problem that the institution has been slow to recognize and now has to deal with it on the administrative support staff side--most of whom have no connection whatsoever to the academic side of the house. Universities and colleges have dug themselves some gigantic holes that are going to be very hard to climb out of.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most colleges are state funded, the state legislatures could limit tuition costs.....

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We have a trillion dollar deficit and risk free rates on government debt; noobody's ****ing paying for anything.

Also do you think Angelo State or LeTourneau are the Masons?

#20 Dairy Ashford, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Nook, Sajan and JuanValdez like this.