1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Week 8

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 20, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cat, but those undefeated teams were UNDER the one loss teams already, I am talking about a one loss team JUMPING an undefeated team......

DD

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Auburn will most likely be number one when we play them.

You are a smart guy DD....but football isn't one of your strong points.

3. DaDakota

Football? We are talking about football?

;)

Seriously, if someone can find an instance of a lower ranked 1 loss team jumping over an undefeated higher ranked team in the BCS, I will stand corrected.

DD

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Note where Penn State is here, in Week 13.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/2/year/2008/week/13

Behind Utah. They then jumped undefeated Utah by the end of the year, without even playing a game!

5. Major

Major Member

To be fair, they did play a game. They beat #15 Michigan State by a score of 49-18 the next week - that's when they jumped Utah.

All that said, teams jump other teams - undefeated or not - all the time. Voters look at all sorts of things beyond wins. If TCU wins a bunch of games 20-19 while Alabama beats Auburn by 50, they'll probably jump them. If TCU keeps winning by 50 and Alabama gets lucky on a fluke play to win a couple of games, they won't jump them.

At this point, it's impossible to say how things will play out without actually seeing how the games play out beyond wins and losses.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ah, good point, I could've sworn I remembered Penn State being done early that season. Even so, in the scenario DD is describing, Alabama would be beating No. 1 Auburn, so I think that might carry a bit of juice as well. :)

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

/End Discussion

8. DaDakota

Absolutely it would carry juice, but I am unconvinced that a one loss team would be able to jump a very highly rathed TCU or Boise St.

Note: I am not saying Bama isn't better.....I just find it hard to believe that at this stage in the game the voters would put Bama ahead of those programs.

DD

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

The schedule works in bama's favor.

We are already ranked high....with a highly ranked LSU team to play...A most likely number one team in AU....and I'm sure whoever we play in the SEC championship will be ranked.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I can't see why not though if they beat teams like Auburn or LSU by a considerable margin. It's happened before, the SEC sos is also taken into account among voters, and it's not like Bama blew a game to an unranked FCS team. They lost to #11 South Carolina (at the time) who still is ranked. Remember, they still have to play the SEC championship game also.

Here's one site's breakdown.

http://www.docsports.com/2010/boise-state-tcu-bcs-standings-052.html

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Yea, I'd like to say that I think right now Oregon is the #1 team in the country, Alabama is 2, TCU 3, Auburn 4 and Boise 5. But rankings don't represent how good a team is. We still got a lot of games to play, and Alabama, Oregon, Auburn, Missouri and Michigan St can easily lose games still. TCU can also drop that game at Utah.

The one main problem I have with the polls is I feel that often times the voters aren't taking into consideration how close a game was.
    Auburn for example, has 6 games decided by 1 possession.....
    Oklahoma was ranked #1 when they struggled against Utah St (beating them by 7), only beat Air Force (MWC) by 3 IN NORMAN, only beat Cincinnati by 2 points, and did not play their best game against Texas, a team which isn't that good this year.

12. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I agree with your points DD.
    Alabama does have some tough games left but of the teams they beat only 1 is currently ranked: Arkansas at #19

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

No Week 9 thread yet? :p Nothing like Tuesday night football! Heh(Louisiana Tech @ Boise St.)

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

alabama won't finish the season with only one loss anyway.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Agreed.

The Utah game for TCU is a BIG one. If they can win it, and handedly....

16. ItsMyFault

Ah, since I'm bored waiting for this installation to finish, I guess I might as well make one.

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Surprised you're the first to say this.

Hopefully not the case.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, it's been a great year for both NCAA and NFL football.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Speak for yourself... my cougars are treading water without Kaptain Keenum :(

20. ItsMyFault

Imagine the coogs right now with Keenum, they could've taken C-USA and won a bowl. I had high hopes for them.