1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Corso is an ass. He would pick FSU to beat the damn Ravens.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly, gr8-1. RC is keeping A&M out of the nation's elite. They get badly outrecruited by Texas and OU these last couple of years. Until the Ags hire a Bob Stoops type of coach they will be third fiddle in the BIGXII South Division.

As far as bad-mouthing Texas, RC is well known for doing this at every Aggie get together. He even went so far as to say that if a few plays had gone the other way, the Aggies would have won. Typical Aggie not admitting that the better team won. Instead playing the injury card. Us Horn fans admitted that we sucked against OU last year, and that they were clearly the superior team. This year, however, all bets are off. October 6, 2001: it will be a war!

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Admit it, last year was the first time the Aggies tried to pass, and Farris made a lot of bad throws and the receivers ran alot of bad routes. Wait a couple of years, Frank. I hear this Reggie McNeal kid is the real deal~ ala Michael Bishop.

4. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Yes, I'll admit that it wasn't the most graceful passing game last year. It was a welcomed change nevertheless. And yes, I am oh so psyched when I read about McNeal! I just wish I could stick around longer to see him play. I think we'll have a top 5 recruiting class for next year. So c'mon, let's give R.C. a little credit.

Reggie McNeal

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Reggie will never play with Vick, Marino, and Warner ahead of him. :rolleyes:

BTW, don't let the score fool you, the Sooners look beatable this year.

6. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I sure hope Reggie can live up to the hype. If so, we're going to have a damned forceful team in the coming years!

The Heals sure did make the Sooners look good. That was the poorest excuse for a college football I have seen in some time. Granted, the Sooners are good, but c'mon! 5 turnovers in the first half! And I wouldn't exactly say that they were "forced".

7. haven

haven Member

The year before, when OU wasn't that good, where was this mystical "heart?" When Oregon St. failed to make it to a bowl game for 25 plus years, did they simply lack heart, and then magically have it the last two years?

My BC Eagles had more talent than West Virginia or Pittsburgh last year (Pitt is overrated - it's the A. Bryant show)... but lost anyway. They were then supposed to lose to a slightly more talented Arizona St. team in their bowl game... but knocked the crap out of them. Did their heart suddenly come back to them?]

Teams win, teams lose. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's a lack of talent (BC v Miami ), sometimes it's an abberation. OU had a magical year of cohesiveness; maybe that team really did have heart, maybe the planets aligned perfectly, or maybe they just "clicked." Whatever you want to call it.

But in college athletics, when the teams experience such turnover every year, I don't question a programs "heart." I look for other problems: like dissatisfaction with a coach, bad playcalling, inept special teams performance (Texas!), etc.

(I posted this elsewhere originall).

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It will be Virginia Tech versus Oklahoma...

That's right, OU runs the gauntlet that is known as the Big 12...

It won't be easy, but then again, last year wasn't easy either...

Stoops is one of the best coaches in the game, and he does a great job at getting his team to stay hungry (ask Mark Mangino) and focused...

OU looked incredible in the 1st quarter against UNC today...

Their defense is absolutely swarming...

OU's depth leaves a lot to be desired, however their starters are as good as any...

VT makes it because they have an easy as pie schedule, save for Miami...

However, they play Miami in Blacksburg, in DECEMBER... The Canes will be freezing their sack off, and VT will win... Miami hasn't won in VT for quite a long time also... I'm not even sure if they have ever won at VT...

Other contenders include:

Fla- Too much talent to not be in it, but they are always overrated...

UT-Read above

FSU-They still have their mojo regardless of how many WR's go down like Monica Lewinsky...

USC-Yes, USC as in the Men of Troy... They sure as hell have talent, they just need coaching... Pete Carroll isn't anything great, but new OC Norm Chow, will be able to get QB Carson Palmer to FINALLY live up to his potential...

Oregon-Mike Bellotti is hands down the best tactical coach in the country... He could coach a team full of Helen Kellers to a bowl game...

LSU-They return a boatload of talent... They have the best LB duo in the nation in Trev Faulk, and Brady James... The key here is to have QB Rohan Davey healthy...

Miami-They face FSU, PSU, and VT on the road... They lose at least 1 of these games...

The Big 10 will be a HORRIBLE conference... The fact that Michigan is predicted by most to be the #1 or #2 team in the conference is proof that the Big 10 blows... Michigan lost 4 of 5 OL, Henson, Terrell, and A-Train... Good luck moving the ball...

Without further a due, here's my conference rankings...

#1-SEC
    #2-Pac-10
    #3-Big-12
    #4-Big East
    #5-ACC
    #6-MWC
    #7-C-USA
    #8-MAC
    #9-Sun Belt
    #10-Big West
    #11-Big 10

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

ut vs. oregon in the rose bowl

i think miami,fsu and florida all knock each other out

this is our year we have 3 hard games (OU, A&M and Big 12 title game)

1st- OU do not underestimate the revenge factor, plus losing heupel and marshall(their leaders will hurt in big games, like this one)

2nd-A&M, sorry to have to say it like it is but this will be ugly, losing toombs and ferguson only made it worse and A&m still is not diversified offensively, plus your cornerbacks were real stupid publicizing how they think we burned them because they were injured, you just brought a 10 times greater whooping on yourselves this year, not even kyle field can help you this time

3rd- Nebraska/K State- We will be on a roll but our overall team is better than both as we have more offensive weapons and defensively are as good as either, im hoping its nebraska, theyre pass defense is atrocious, can anyone say field day.

Overall, i dont agree with experts like corso who say we have no heart and choke, well let me remind you the last two years we had a qb controversy(not here this yr, more security) and a team of great talent, but all young,inexperienced talent which often doesnt come to play all the time because they think again lower competition(ie stanford) they can get by on ability. However, this team is veteran laden and with this offense and jammer leading our defense the road to pasadena begins NOW!!!!

10. haven

haven Member

Someone has a grudge against the Big 10 ;)...

... as much as I appreciate you putting the Big East at #4, the Big 10 is still in the top 3. Any team in that conference is better than some of the ones you listed above them...

... of course, I'm assuming that post was tongue in cheek!

11. gr8-1

OK, I don't like the Big Ten, but they should be #4 in the conference rankings. Big 12 should be #1.

I don't know if Mangino has ever been hungry. He looks like he's pretty well-fed.

12. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

The Big 12 and SEC should, imo, be 1 and 2 respectively.

Very Solid Teams-
    OU
    UT
    Nebraska
    K. State

Pretty Good Teams-
    Colorado
    A&M
    Texas Tech
    Iowa State
    Missouri
    OSU

Embarrassing Football Programs-
    Kansas
    Baylor

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The reason why I don't rate the Big 12 as highly as others, is because they don't do too much AS A CONFERENCE outside the Big 12... They all schedule creampuffs for non-conference games...

When OU beat UT last year, did that show that the Big 12 is strong? No... It just showed that OU was awesome, while UT was overrated... So they cancel each other out... Now, if UT had beaten Oregon in the bowl game, then that would show the Big 12 is good... Beating a non-conference team that is worth a damn is the measure of a good conference...

I don't think Nebraska is all that great... They are missing a TB, and in their offense it's like being a man, but having only 1 nut...

OU looked great yesterday, and I think they will be the cream of the Big 12 crop... However, their offense relies way too much on RB Quentin Griffin...

KSU is the poster boy of what I was talking about earlier... Feast on the cream puffs while getting your tail handed to you by half-decent teams...

UT has bad gameday and in-game coaching, so I feel they will lose 1-2 games... And with their weak schedule, 1 loss means they are out of contention...

A&M will be 7-5 and will probably sign RC to a lifetime contract... They will then hire Toombs as the strength and conditioning coach... Or maybe he will be the "father figure" for the Aggie players, after all he does have 3 kids...

The rest of the Big 12 is pretty weak and not worth the effort to type...

Top to bottom, the Pac-10's 10 teams are as good as any other conference, top to bottom...

14. gr8-1

Uh, these guys absolutely annihilated Tennessee (from the mighty SEC) in the Cotton Bowl last year.

15. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

And? All the good teams schedule creampuff non-conference foes - when you play in a tough competitive conference, you can't afford to tack on a bunch of tough non-conference games.

16. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I agree with Tolpatcsh in that it wouldn't be wise to schedule difficult non-conference games when you have one of the stronger conferences in college football. Why sabotage your entire season? The conference games alone afford teams the opportunity to play great teams. Although it is more fun to see good games as opposed to these 63-7 sleepers(McNeese St. for example).

A&M is clearly making an effort to play more difficult opponents in the near future. Some very intriguing matchups are already scheduled.

Future A&M Schedules

17. Band Geek Mobster

What a bunch of homers you guys are, every year either A&M or UT is hyped up to be a National Championship contender, and they always choke it away early in the year. I have no reason to think it won't happen yet again. U of H is gonna whoop up on them Longhorns. :mad:

I predict Miami vs Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

I love FSU and all, but Miami deserved to play in that championship game. Miami will also be highly motivated to make it to the big game this year. OU still has some nice weapons that any average QB could take advantage of.

The thing I'll enjoy seeing this year is if FSU can claim 10 wins again and end the season in the top 5. They've had a very nice streak of top 5 finishes, and despite losing so many players, it's hard to believe they'll finish outside of the top 5.

18. gr8-1

PRM, but most of that hype is from the media. You can check all of the Longhornfan boards, and most will say that they were overrated last year. Heck, even Mack Brown will admit that.

To win it all, you need a little luck and no key injuries.

BTW, I don't think UH can handle UT, even at home.

19. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

The Aggies will play with pride this year as usual and I expect 8-4 when it's all said and done. All that matters to me is that Reggie McNeal is coming to College Station next year and on the Feburary signing date, I think Eric Winston will also have an A&M hat on, which will help A&M have a better recruiting class than Texas for the first time in years. Throw in L'Tydrick Riley, Cody Douglas, and possibly Archie McDaniel among others, and you'll have a Top 5 class nationally.

20. gr8-1

I think Texas will clean up on the DL recruiting just like they did on the OL recruiting last year. It looks better for ATM now, but you know Mack and his snake oil works wonders. ;)