1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

Will Texas be in the national title game? OU? Nebraska?

My wacky opinion: If Texas wins the UT/OU game, there will be a rematch between 12-0 Texas and 11-1 OU in the Rose Bowl. If OU wins, it'll be OU vs. Washington.

Fun TSN article -- hope its right :):

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/tom_dienhart/20010824.html

<B>Be afraid, be very afraid of Texas</B>

<I>You are a linebacker parked smack dab in the middle of the defense. It's first-and-10, the start of a new game, the start of a new season. You are aligning your troops, tapping a tackle on the hip to shift him over a tad and shouting at a cornerback to crowd the line. Then you look up and see the Texas offense breaking the huddle.

You should be afraid. Very afraid. That's because the Longhorns, The Sporting News' pick as the No. 1 team in the nation, are scary good. And that bright and shiny offense decked out in burnt orange and white jogging right at you is the main reason why you should quake in your cleats. That offense and an improved defense add up to this being the most feared team in the country. How is Texas going to be stopped?

Quarterback Chris Simms saunters toward the line and eyeballs you. He gives you one of those I-know-something-you-don't winks. Your heart starts beating a little faster . . .

This is Simms' time; this is Simms' team. At 6-5, 225, he looks like a big-time quarterback, acts like a big-time quarterback and wants to show he is a big-time quarterback. Simms knows it's time to fulfill the big-time expectations that have dogged him like a fire-breathing defensive end since he arrived in Austin in 1999.

His first two years mostly were filled with comparisons between him and Major Applewhite, now a senior with the ugliest knees on campus. The barroom banter on Sixth Street was incessant: Simms vs. Applewhite. Applewhite vs. Simms.

"That's last year's question," says Longhorns coach Mack Brown. "Chris is the starter."

So it's now just Simms vs. Simms, who is quick to acknowledge he's glad about that. Simms is eager to show that Texas isn't teasing again after underachieving its way through the previous 30 or so seasons. This is a program that last won a consensus national championship in 1969 and hasn't seriously contended since 1983, when Simms was 3.

"The last three games last year gave me more confidence," says Simms, who hit 67 of 117 passes for 1,064 yards with eight touchdowns and seven interceptions last season. "Last year, I was more up in the air in my abilities. I wasn't used to my surroundings but I felt I could play at a high level. That's why I chose a school like Texas. We are highly publicized and have a chance to have a great team."

Simms crouches behind center Matt Anderson. He looks right, toward receiver Roy Williams, and shouts something you can't decipher. Maybe Simms sees a weaknesses in your defense, an area to exploit. Williams nods and peers forward.

You feel your stomach tightening . . .

The scariest aspect of the Texas offense is its receivers. At 6-5, 210, with 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash, Williams is freakishly fearsome and looks as though he has been manufactured. He is powerful off the line, making it difficult for cornerbacks to knock him off his route. He's custom-built for fades, reaching high into the sky for passes while walling off defenders with his frame. And if foes try playing off him, Williams will run by them.

As a freshman last year, his 40 receptions for 809 yards (a 20.2-yard average), along with eight touchdown catches and two scores on reverses, were just a sample of his ample ability.

Then there's B.J. Johnson. He nabbed 41 passes for 698 yards, averaging 17 yards per catch with three scores. No two freshman wideouts gained more yards receiving in 2000. There's depth behind those phenoms in sophomore Sloan Thomas and junior Kyle Shanahan, who sat out last year after transferring from Duke. Shanahan is the son of NFL coach Mike Shanahan Sensing danger, you bark at your strong safety to slide over to offer the cornerback help on Williams.

On the other side of the field, that causes Johnson to yell at Simms, who looks over and nods his head in agreement on some secret communication. Simms starts the cadence. Something he commands sets tight end Bo Scaife in motion. More troubling thoughts enter your head. What does this mean? Who has him in coverage? You chomp a little faster and harder on your mouthpiece . . .

Scaife's 2000 season ended when he injured his knee in the first fall practice. As a freshman in 1999, Scaife still was feeling the effects of a high school knee injury, and he caught just three passes for 48 yards. Now, Scaife is ready to go. With receivers like Williams and Johnson to worry about, defenses may forget about Scaife. That's what Texas hopes.

Scaife had a coming-out party in the spring, when he and Simms developed a connection that took nonverbal communication to new levels. At 6-3, 245, Scaife is more receiver than sixth offensive lineman, and his unusual speed for a tight end allows him to stretch defenses.

Simms suddenly rises from under center and pivots around. He looks at running back Victor Ike and motions for him to move slightly to the left. You start to pace . . .

Ike is one of a number of running back options for Texas. On one series, sophomore Ivan Williams could be lined up behind Simms. On the next, it might be junior Kenny Hayter, sophomore Brett Robin or freshman Arturo "Sneezy" Beltran.

And there's an even better chance it could be freshman Cedric Benson, one of the most decorated running backs in Texas prep annals. At Lee High in Midland, the 6-0, 200-pound Benson was named Texas 5A offensive player of the year three times and finished with 8,423 career yards rushing. He also was a winner; he helped lead Lee to three consecutive state 5A titles.

A good ground game will help Texas control the clock. That in turn will help keep an underrated defense fresh. While the defensive tackle spots need to be shored up with Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton gone, the ends, sophomore Kalen Thornton and junior Cory Redding, are formidable.

For the first time in the Brown era, Texas has the type of players at end it has been looking for -- athletic and fast. To that end, the entire defense has been souped up, as position changes were instituted in the spring to get more speed on the field. Senior Maurice Gordon moved from tackle to end. Junior O.J. McClintock from outside linebacker to end. Senior Lee Jackson went from safety to linebacker, and senior Ahmad Brooks and sophomore Nathan Vasher moved from cornerback to safety. The alterations are aimed specifically toward better dealing with spread offenses like the one at Oklahoma that ripped the Longhorns, 63-14, last season.

"Now with all of the athletes in place, the biggest thing we need to focus on is to continue to stop the run, get more pressure on the passer and change up our coverages in the secondary," says defensive coordinator Carl Reese, who has transformed the 85th-ranked defense he inherited in 1997 into one that finished seventh in the nation last year.

A new and improved defense added to a dangerous offense is a formidable combination. Throw in a schedule that doesn't include Nebraska or Kansas State and has just two games outside the state, and you can see why Texas' confidence meter is redlining.

There is one cause for concern -- an uncertain kicking game. Kris Stockton, the most accurate kicker in school history, has departed after handling the kicking and some of the punting chores last season. Redshirt freshman Matt McFadden is looking to replace Stockton, and junior-college transfer Brian Bradford is slated to punt. That means the Texas sideline will be the finger-crossing capital of the world on fourth downs. The kickers have potential; they just need to come through.

Simms turns back around. One last time, he glances to his right, then his left. He's confident setting up behind the sizable linemen. You wipe your sweaty palms across your thighs and swallow hard . . .

The Texas offensive line is as solid as the kicking game is uncertain. In fact, it will be among the Big 12's best, even without tackle Leonard Davis, who was a first-round pick in last spring's NFL draft. There are four starters back, including senior Anderson, senior Antwan Kirk-Hughes and junior Derrick Dockery, both guards, and senior tackle Mike Williams. The right side figures to be especially strong with Kirk-Hughes and Williams. And that's good, considering it's Simms' blind side.

Simms slips back behind Anderson and resumes his cadence. Hut one! Hut two! Hut three! The ball is snapped, and Simms quickly drops back. He sticks a fist in Ike's gut as he races by. Simms sets in the pocket, looks left and pump fakes. He quickly rotates right, cocks his left arm and fires a pass toward Roy Williams, who is streaking downfield.

Your worst fears have been realized. Touchdown, Texas.
    </I>

2. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

UT has a legitimate chance. Especially with their creampuff schedule. However, I'm hoping they come to Kyle Field undefeated, we beat them, and I scream and laugh loudly for it will be my last game I see as a student! Though given that we're not even ranked, I'll cease all predictions.

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'm predicting there will be games played and from those games there will be winners.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since DBC has already got the "winners" prediction, I am going to go out on a bit of a limb, and predict that all games will end in ties.

5. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Try to guess who I am. . .

"Run up the Middle."
    "Run up the Middle."
    "Run up the Middle."
    "Punt."

That's right, I'm the A&M Offensive Coordinator.

Poor Aggies, they don't stand a chance. They'd better hope that Williams, Johnson and Thomas all leave school early.

Texas and Oregon St. in the Rose Bowl.

If Eric Crouch learns to pass, Nebraska will be good as well, if not - they'll be worse than last year.

6. mduke

mduke Member

OU will beat UT :p :p :p :p

7. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I'm with you. I'll go so far as to say whoever scores more points will win the game!

8. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Oh my! I must thank you first for enlightening me! I had no idea Mark Farris rushed for 2,551 yards last year! Your claim leads me to believe that Robert Ferguson was drafted in hopes of converting him into a RB. True, I can't imagine why Green Bay would have wanted to use him and his 4.4 speed at the WR position anyway.

Next, you will undoubtedly prove to be prophetic if and when my Aggies lose to UT! You should utilize your obvious mastery of college football in a public arena so as to inform the masses of these great up-and-coming upsets. My how you would gain both personally and economically!

Bring the tired A&M football bashing!

Oh forgive me for I have stooped.

9. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Your welcome.

Next year, when your woefully inadequate defensive backs are being torched by Texas' uber-recievers, and your most imaginative play is *gasp!* a run off-tackle, I hope to be recognized for my brilliance.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'll take Texas-Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

Games of the Year Predictions:

Texas over Oklahoma
    LSU over Florida
    Oklahoma over Nebraska
    Oregon over Oregon St.
    Florida St. over Miami
    Florida over Tennessee
    Oregon over UCLA
    Miami over Va. Tech

11. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

My prediction:

UT: 0-11, scoring 4 points for the entire season, those coming when the aggies felt so bad about having scored 112 points on the teasips in just 2 quarters that they start running their plays backwards.

Oh, and another thing, UT doesn't get out of this season with less than 3 losses.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

RC Scrotum coaches football like it's the 1940's. Kicking off in both halves?? Sure RC tried to pass more last year, but it was pretty pathetic. Farris couldn't even crack the three-deep at Texas, and you think he can lead a pass-oriented offense. With the loss of Ferguson and Toombs, not to mention Whitaker's injury, the Aggies are in for a long year....

As for the Horns. I'm looking forwards to some good blowout wins early in the season. I am hoping and praying that Mack doesn't have his annual brain fart game against like Tech or Colorado or something. TX-OU will be a battle, with emotions riding high. Hopefully Redding and Thornton will pressure Hybl all day long, and the secondary will be able to keep up with the Okies' sticky-fingered receivers. OU CAN BE BEAT!!! Remember OSU and KSU almost beat them last year by dropping back in coverage instead of blitzing....Beat the hell outta OU!!!

See ya'll at the Rose Bowl, where the Longhorns will destroy the Ducks in a rematch of last year's bowl game.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I say Oregon St. v. Texas.

Simonton wins the Heisman.

You can predict games at http://sports.swirve.com/ncaafb , plus see the picks of two of your fellow posters.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Very intelligent prediction....

15. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

If you thought that was a real prediction, that doesn't say much about your intelligence.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Aggies suck.

Notre Dame
    Texas...
    @Oklahoma
    @Kansas State
    @Colorado

The Aggies will be playing in the last college football game in the Astrodome (Gallery Bowl).

Texas has a creampuff schedule but I'm not picking Texas to win it all. Like Corso said last night...Texas has no heart. They will avenge 63-14, however the 12th game of the season will be no cupcake. Whoever it is...Kansas State or Nebraska...Texas won't win.

17. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Please tell me what was so pathetic about A&M's passing game last year. Yes, losing your teams's two biggest offensive weapons obviously doesn't make the team better! By no means am I expecting A&M to win a lot of games this season. Going into games with upset on my mind will be fun though, I must say.

18. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Why do Aggies suck?

Thanks for pointing out the teams with the potentail to be upset by the Aggies and for already granting the Aggies a Bowl game.

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

UT over Miami in the Rose Bowl (payback I hope).

UT over the Ags big at Kyle Field. I hope Mack doesn't call off the dogs like he did in Austin last year. RC badmouths him at virtually every Ag get together, so I think an old-fashioned butt-whipping is due.

The land thieves will have at least 3 losses.

I'm hoping the Ags will win at least 7 games, so that RC Slowndum will stick around. As long as he's around, a$m will never win it all. Check that, as long as they're in College Station, they won't win it all.

KEEP RC !!!!!!!