1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Challenge

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheBigMoe, Dec 5, 2003.

1. TheBigMoe

TheBigMoe Member

We all know that college coaches can't challenge a call on the field. In the history of college football, what has been the most disastrous mishaps that resulted because coaches can't challenge a play. For example, my high school missed the playoffs because of some stupid refs. We're down by two, at the ten yard line, 4th quarter. We call a time-out with 2 seconds to go, and get ready to kick the game winning field goal. Kicker sets up, but before the snap, the clocks starts up again, runs out. No snap, no rewview, game over. That win would have brought us to the playoffs. What else has happened in college and high school dealing with bad ref and because there is no challenge.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually Ozen didn't call the time out. There was an officials timeout to spot the ball and both teams ran off the field at that time. When the ball is spotted and made ready for play the clock is wound. The snap wasn't in time so the kick did not count. ANd for clarification I am not a PNG fan (quite the opposite) but I do work in HS athletics and know many of the officials in the Bmt. Chapter. A lot of the word coming out of that game was incorrect and the ruling I heard came from some officials working the game.

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

The one that comes to mind is the pass interference call in last years National Championship.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What about when Colorado got 5 downs years ago. I can't remember who they were playing.

5. TheBigMoe

TheBigMoe Member

Yea, I have the one with five downs, and i'm going to put the one with Miami. But Castor27, i agree with you that the clock should begin to run if they just stopped time to spot the ball. Problem is, shouldn't the clock be stopped if we spike it with 2 seconds left. Thats exactley what my HS did. We spiked it. I was there at the game and I watched the game on tape a week later. What I heard was that the ref gave a signal, and the guy working the clock assumed it was the signal to continue the clock. I don't know how the refs couldn't see that one.

6. TheBigMoe

TheBigMoe Member

also, if anybody knows, what are the chances that an nfl coaches challenge gets overturned.