1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You'd think someone would want Kansas. Its a pretty good school all around. They will be interesting to watch.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Problem is...who and where? What's left? The Big East or ACC...neither of which make any sense geographically (and imagine the added toughness to those already difficult basketball schedules). The only conference that makes sense is the Big 10...and they apparently don't want the Kansas schools.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Looks like Mountain West then. Which is weak. I bet BYU is gonna love that....

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oops...missed this....

Not the kind of voting I meant. I meant voting on every issue a conference votes on after they're united as a conference. Having 4 Texas votes balances out 4 California votes. On every issue going forward.

Also...with regard to TV...you don't get Denver...but Denver is usually regarded as a pro sports town. The Buffs don't get nearly as much exposure in Denver as the Horns or Ags do in Houston/Dallas/Austin/SA. I'm not saying that part of the discussion doesn't tilt toward supporting CU...just that it's not as significant as you might think.

5. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Come to the SEC texas!

6. MadMax

Texas just doesn't FEEL like an SEC school.

7. Major

Major Member

One of Texas' big goals in this is to upgrade their academic associations (and get the money that comes with that). That was the big appeal of the B10 - being connected to the top tier academics there and the CIC money. The Pac10 has a lot of high end schools as well, though not as much on the money side.

The SEC only has Vandy and Florida as top tier type schools. When the B12 was formed, the old Big8 schools were pissed that Texas demanded higher academic standards and things like that for athletes - no way Texas will go to the SEC and deal with that again. Plus, unlike the P10, the SEC doesn't really need Texas - they have enough strength on their own.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

If all this does go through....The head honcho for the Big12 should still keep the conference alive and roll with:

UH
    TCU
    Colorado
    Kansas
    Nebraska
    Iowa State
    Arkansas
    and some others (can't think of any other names right now)

Solid schools in football and basketball.

I cant say this enough UH = sleeping giant

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can pull Nebraska out of this mix because they would join Mizzou in the Big Ten.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You have said it more than enough, nobody wants UH. UH has a hard time getting their own students and alumni to go to games, why would anyone else be interested.

The city of Houston loves football, and it is a large TV market, but I have yet to hear about any of these major conferences interested in UH. I would love to see UH and all the other Texas schools in one conference, playing each other every year, but those days are over. UH, Rice, SMU, are all on the outside looking in. Baylor or TCU might get lucky and get an invite from someone.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anyone else surprisingly not emotional about the prospect of the Big 12's demise? Aside from basketball, who cares? I am all for some havoc. By simply adding a TCU and/or Arkansas the Big 12 could gain a boost. That easy. Instead, I don't care. Weird.

12. MadMax

I think the excitement of what COULD be overwhelms any sense of "loss" of the Big XII

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Big XII is about to implode despite having premier schools in both football and basketball, adding "solid" schools like TCU and UH isn't going to save anything if the likes of Texas, OU, and NU leave.

And yes you can say "UH = sleeping giant" enough. I have nothing against UH and root for them every chance I get, but there's a laundry list of programs that'll get offers before UH is even considered IMO.

14. Ryan Bowen MVP

Kenn Starr is pulling strings to have Baylor included with UT in whatever happens. If the Pac-10 expansion happens, you can expect Baylor to be included in the deal. However, Starr is rallying to keep the Big-12 together.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He can rally all he wants but what influence does he have with Nebraska and Missouri? If they leave, the Big 12 is dead as a doornail.

16. ths balla

ths balla Member

what do the fellow Aggies think of A&M possibly joining the SEC

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Personally I hope that Nebraska and Texas aren't split up, just because my wife is from Nebraska and her family still lives there, so I've become somewhat of a fan over the years and enjoy it when they play the Texas schools. It almost sounds inevitable though.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's stupid. Kentucky/TAMU bball could have been great though (way to screw that one BCG). Lots of history in the SEC though, TAMU can hang with those guys in that arena.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

IMO UH should root for Baylor to the Pac 10.

Why?

Because Baylor is taking the spot of Utah or Colorado...programs that will make the MWC (UH's future conference) better.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I go to Colorado and our athletic program is in shambles. It is not dedicated to improving anything (they brought back Hawkins as the football coach). The football team is going nowhere in the next decade (particularly next season, I would not be surprised if they go winless). The basketball team was on the rise but losing Bzdelik was a pretty big blow, especially since he was replaced with a nobody. Not to mention, CU does not have a big or passionate fan base. Despite the market size, I would imagine Baylor is a far more profitable athletic program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.