1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Sleeping giant......UH Coogs.

Book it.

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

I am not sure what exactly will happen , but every mega conference should have a Conf title game .

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They will, there's a massive financial incentive to have conference playoffs. I'm willing to bet that all BCS conferences will have one soon enough.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I would agree with this...The only rivalry games relevant to Texas would be Tx-Ou and Tx-A&M...the traveling would suck...I would also concur with the report on having ND and Tx start their own conf., which would do wonders for TV contracts, not so sure from a research standpoint...

5. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

From a purely football perspective...
    Texas needs to find something in the west (like a Pac 10/Big XII merger or Western Alliance or something). The Big 10/11 doesn't fit the philosophy of a warm weather team. Texas has built itself as a passing juggernaut. Sure, all signs point to them going to a more "balanced," "pro-style" offense with Gilbert. However, let's not get confused. Do you think Texas wants to go to Wisconsin, Chicago, Pennsylvania and Michigan and play run-ball all winter? Didn't think so. How about playing in Texas and, say, L.A., Berkeley/Palo Alto, Tucson? Right.

Jus' sayin'

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Weird time zone issues playing USC every year. Just sayin... Whatever does ultimately happen I am pretty sure will ruin college football for awhile.

7. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Ya you have a good point here, i think a lot of fans in Texas would love the South Western weather in Cali, Ariz, and Oregon and Washington are beautiful states to visit. Pac 10 football is def closer to Big 12 than compared to Big 10. Pac 10 is more offense oriented , keep the scores in 25-35 ranges.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ideally what would happen in the "Western Alliance" is two divisions, North and South.

North:
    Cal
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    Washington State

South:
    Texas
    Colorado
    USC
    UCLA
    Arizona
    Arizona State

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Texas would play at the North Pole if it means more money.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

texas is going nowhere without a&m.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

if this happened, i picture it being like the big 12 now. the best teams are in the big 12 south, and its a shame that we cant see the big 12 title game between ut and okla. instead, its okla/ut vs neb./col. it would be that way in this scenario. ut/usc vs oregon/oregon st/cal

12. the futants

I don't think it will ruin anything. It can be better that what we currently have. Discussions about time-zone restrictions are occurring all over the place. It would be a relatively easy fix.

Yes and no. It IS all about the money. However, without winning, the money will start to slowly fade.

Agreed. The Legislature will have something to say about that. Texas is a state school. They can't just move around all willy-nilly.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If Colorado and Mizzou leave, the Big XII could replace them with Arkansas and TCU, and get better as a conference overall.

14. the futants

Not happening. The Big XII needs more TV market money, not less.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

1. Why is Arkansas leaving the SEC gravy train?

2. TCU really basically adds nothing on a net basis. Not as if Missouri and Colorado are powerhouses, but at least they are regionally popular.

No new tv sets, a tiny student body and alumni base mostly entirely within a market already dominated, and would lose the one thing they have going for them "plucky underdog!"/big fish in small pond ....etc and probably lapse into prolonged suckitude as most small private schools trying to play with larger schools. See, e.g. Baylor

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Oregon won the Pac10 last year, and Oregon State has been a major pain in the ass to USC. USC is on the way down now that Petey boy is gone.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

lol...seems like all kinds of hell is about to break loose in the college ranks.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.