1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

DanWeiner DanWeiner
    by The_Raheel
    Big 12 South - Texas, Tech, Baylor, Ok St, TCU, Houston. Big 12 North - Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa St, K-State, Mizzou, Boise St Make it happen

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

good riddance aggy. enjoy being arkansas-lite.

3. MadMax

assuming, of course, A&M will be good enough to be oft-televised going up against SEC opponents.

texas gets TV time regardless. "we're texas."

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Big 12 isn't really an exciting draw without Nebraska, TAMU, Colorado is it? As a Big 12 grad, it just doesn't really seem all that special.

5. Major

Major Member

By the money metric, yes, it's still a good outcome. But on any other metric - recruiting, fan excitement, national title possibilities (one loss would pretty much eliminate Texas due to strength of schedule) - it's a pretty bad end result.

6. Major

Major Member

But that metric doesn't change. A&M is already not televised nearly as much as Texas, so they wouldn't be any worse off there.

7. MadMax

of that list...aside from last year with A&M...when the was the last time people outside of College Station thought of TAMU or Colorado as an "exciting draw?"

8. MadMax

disagree entirely with your analysis of national title possibilities. if you're UT or OU, you're licking your chops at the potential with respect to schedule.

by the way...the only entity that's going to care about anything but the money metric is the TX legislature...i'm interested to see how they'll respond to A&M's end-around.

9. MadMax

right..that's what i said. texas already gets on TV. we'll see how much more often A&M does...if A&M becomes in the SEC what I think they're going to become, they're not going to be on TV here anymore than they already are. of course, i could be wrong about how they'll do in the SEC.

10. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

While the conference SoS might be weak, BCS poll numbers put an even heavier emphasis on OOC scheduling, which now Texas has more schedule flexibility (and already the capability to pull it off) than ever before.

Cal, UCLA, Ole Miss, ND, BYU and USC are just the beginning.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Wouldn't the kids that this kinda stuff appeals to be just as interested, if not more, in a network that would showcase them 24/7?

12. Major

Major Member

It's great if you go undefeated, which certainly becomes easier. But it'll be like playing in the Big East or ACC. You lose one game anywhere and you're out due to strength of schedule. The loser of the UT-OU game in early October is virtually assured to be out of the race. With a 12 team conference with other good opponents and a conference title game, you have a much better chance of overcoming a single loss. UT had their shot against Colorado back in 2003 (?); Nebraska made it once with a loss; OU did it a couple of times in the early 2000's and 2008 (if UT had won the tiebreaker, UT would have had their shot in 2008). The Big12 teams have benefited a lot from their strength of schedule as arguably the 2nd best conference behind the SEC, giving their teams the ability to lose a game and still be in the race.

Agreed - it'll be interesting to see how this fight plays out.

But they'll be on more often as a result of their opponents. There are more teams of national interest in the SEC.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Add Nebraska -- they've been in the same boat. TAMU was in a Cotton Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Alamo Bowl, etc... TAMU is almost always relevant. Aggie football is an experience. The fan base is huge. They are an important college football program whether you like them or not.

14. MadMax

Schedule some teams out of conference.

perhaps. we'll see.

15. Major

Major Member

We'll see how that works out. Of this year's opponents, UCLA was 4-8 last year and BYU was 7-6 in the MWC. That's just like playing two more mediocre conference teams.

16. MadMax

i won't argue Nebraska...and i'm not saying A&M isn't a football experience...it absolutely is. but until relatively recent, it had been a long time since i would call them a "draw" in and of themselves.

17. Major

Major Member

Not if they care about actually playing the good teams. It remains to be seen exactly what the LHN is going to show and whether anyone is actually going to watch it. Millions of people will watch Florida vs. A&M. How many people will watch a feature story on the UT football team?

18. MadMax

you are absolutely the only Longhorn I know who is disappointed with all this :)

everyone else i know and even reporters i'm reading are talking about how Texas rules all...makes all the rules...will have their cake and then some.

19. MadMax

:) if the LHN isn't important, why is it dividing a 100 year rivalry?

UT is getting conference $$$$ and independent network $$$$. they win!!! no one else is getting that!!! they will continue to be texas...and recruit like crazy...and kick ass. they're going to be just fine.

20. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I agree, but again, only if A&M is good.

Kids won't want to go to A&M just to lose to lose to Florida/Alabama on national TV. If being on TV is more important to them than winning, then you would have to say that the LHN would be appealing as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.