1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] Big Ten, Texas have initial talks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LHN is what's best for UT. No complaints. TAMU to the SEC is what's best for TAMU. Easy as that.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I really think you need to spend some time in the deep South during football season. I really don't think you understand what SEC football means in those states. It's a level of devotion above the T-shirt Longhorn and Aggie fans. It's tied to their identity. People who graduated from UAB, or never went to college, care as much about the Crimson Tide as the average A&M graduate does about the Aggies. It's the primary topic of conversation all week.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

billyliucci Billy Liucci
    Buckle up, folks, this is going to be a wild afternoon on the A&M/SEC/Big 12 front ... probably the most fascinating day yet

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I'm referring to the top tier talent. You are A&M. Convince my 18 year old kid to choose your school over staying home for LSU, or FL, or Auburn, or Bama. What's the appeal? College Station? A dominant program? If you are referring to the SEC allowing them to get kids that arguably aren't any better than the kids in their own backyard....then I guess.

Yes Texas kids go all over the place. That's my whole point. The ones who want to leave just leave. Being able to play in the SEC and stay isn't that big of an incentive to a kid who has no problem leaving. Being in the SEC isn't going to give the Aggies much of a leg up in getting those kids to stay. All it will do is make it easier for those other programs to recruit those kids. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Your argument is logical, you'd think it would work like that. But it doesn't. The bottom line is TAMU has been a top 25 recruiting team 8/10 years and going to the SEC will only make them better. Its simple as that. No need to play all of these pee-pee games.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time taking Beebe seriously with his UH talk.

UH is headed in the right direction (not just in football, but academically and culturally), and getting in the Big 12 would be like adding rocket fuel to the engine, but I can't see the member institutions, in particular, UT, going along with it.

7. Major

Major Member

Yes, SEC football is a big deal. That's part of the point - A&M would now be an option for those kids who love SEC football.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Well....bye.

9. MadMax

mattmosley Matt Mosley
    I believe AD Bill Byrne has serious concerns with how competitive Ags will be in SEC football, but then, he's retiring in 2013...

10. MadMax

mattmosley Matt Mosley
    If the Big 12 stays together, Houston would likely get the first invitation. Frogs would have a tough time breaking Big East promise.

11. Major

Major Member

Explain the fact is that Florida and Alabama and Georgia kids already leave their state now, often to go to other SEC schools. You guys act like Texas kids are different from all the other kids in the world. They aren't. Some like to leave; some like to stay. Same with kids everywhere else. For those kids that like to leave, some would like to still be in a conference where their family can see them at times, or they come home regularly, etc.

So for some reason, being in the SEC isn't going to help A&M get players. But A&M being in the SEC will somehow help Florida recruit Texas players. How does that work?

The logic chain you guys are using makes no sense - it starts with "no one would ever want to go to A&M" to get to "A&M will never be able to recruit." If the premise is true, then A&M's going to suck forever anyway so it doesn't matter if they stay or leave. If the premise isn't true, then the whole argument falls apart.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

this post is exactly why the recruiting angle in all of this is overblown.

13. Major

Major Member

But there are about the same number as there are Texas kids that will say "I want to play for Florida now that A&M is in the SEC, but I hadn't considered it before!" I agree it's a small number of people - but my point is that it works both ways. If joining the SEC opens up Texas to being recruited by Auburn, then it also opens up all the SEC states to being recruited by A&M. If it doesn't, then it doesn't do so either way. But this idea that it helps all the other SEC schools but doesn't help A&M is just trying to fits the facts to match a pre-determined conclusion.

For the most part, I'd agree - I think it's a small factor. A&M will still probably be mostly Texas kids, just like Alabama will still be mostly Alabama kids, etc. It's only on the margins - those few kids every year that you get from out of state, or the kids that are leaving the state that you might end up keeping.

14. MadMax

CFBLIVE ESPN CFB LIVE
    by ErinAndrews
    TX Higher Ed. Committee hearing TAMU & SEC are talking more seriously & hearing about a possible invitation vote tomorrow by SEC Presidents

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh yeah, in the first third of this thread... the Pac-16 talk. That's what I want as an Aggie fan. That for me would be the best. Oh well.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I've read that FSU may be another invitee to the SEC, true?

17. MadMax

true...though there's some discussion that FLA would push back hard on that. GA doesn't want GATech...FL doesn't want FL ST....and SC doesn't want Clemson.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Clemson would be the easiest one to add IMO.

19. Major

Major Member

It's funny to see how that works. In all those states, the schools don't want the sister school in their conference. With Texas and OU, we DO want the sister school in our conference.

20. MadMax

mattmosley Matt Mosley
    We could see an announcement as early as Sunday night, but Ags may wait until Monday. Sounds like too late for legislators to do anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.