1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] #1 America's Team vs #7 Boone Pickens Toy Train Set

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Oct 22, 2008.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Game surprised me, I thought TU was going to crush OkSU at home, especially after how TU treated Missouri.

I also thought OhSU would beat PennState (Joe Pa never wins in Colombus)

TU loses that game in Stillwater. TU doesn't lose number 1, but PSU's victory was more impressive.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Actually, it's the Big 10 and their commissioner that's responsible for their continuing to be no playoff system and why there won't be one for a good long time...

Playoff Plunderer

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Better Penn St than Ohio State. At least they're different. I'm sick of overrated OSU hanging around in the NC title game hunt year after year, like cockroaches that just won't die. Yes, the Big 10 is a joke, but if Penn St sucks as much as people say they do, I'm sure they'll drop one their next few games, and balance will be restored in the BCS.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't think you appreciate just how bad the Big 10 is. :) Think about how bad Ohio State is, and then consider that Ohio State beat Michigan State by 28 on the road a week ago, scoring 48 points in the process. Michigan State, at home... is the toughest game Penn State has left.

Penn State is a solid top 15/20 team, who will beat the Ohio State's, Iowa's and Michigan State's of the world. Problem is, they don't have the athletes on either side of the ball to run with the true elite teams. But in the Big 10 , they don't have to beat any of those to go undefeated. I hope you're right and that either Iowa/Michigan State will pull the upset of the season, but it won't prove that Penn State isn't a joke if they don't.

5. The Cat

What?!?!?!

Penn State's victory was more impressive? Do people still not get just how bad Ohio State is? Penn State had 3 points in the fourth quarter against a horrid Ohio State squad, and had to have an idiotic fumble from a true freshman QB to win the game. Penn State's offense looked every bit as slow and uncreative as their counterparts from Ohio State.

There was nothing about that game, on either side, that looked impressive. Compared to watching Texas/OSU earlier in the day, these two seemed like Sun Belt teams.

6. The Cat

The other negative to Penn State's win: as usual, the Rose Bowl folks are inconsiderate, illogical assholes. So, assuming Penn State wins out and plays for the MNC, what does that mean? It means the Rose Bowl, out of their bizarre obsession with Big 10/Pac 10 even when the conference champions aren't available, will ruin what should be one of the best games by staging a USC/Ohio State rematch. Of course, Ohio State will likely lose by 40, the same way Illinois did against USC last year.

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I have to say though, our QB (Zac Robinson) disappointed me and a lot of us OSU fans yesterday with his decision making and pocket presence in general. You guys may think he's just an average QB in the Big 12 after that game, but trust me, he still hasn't reached that level he was playing at last year where he passed for over 2800 yards and ran for over 800 (in 11 games too). But boy, did I ever realize why Colt Mccoy truly deserves the Heisman provided his team can keep on winning.

But now I want to talk about the polls. Here are the new rankings:

USA Today Ranking
    Rank Team Record Pts Last Week
    1. Texas (58) (8-0) 1522 1
    2. Alabama (8-0) 1439 2
    3. Penn St. (3) (9-0) 1414 3
    4. Oklahoma (7-1) 1265 5
    5. Texas Tech (8-0) 1246 6
    6. USC (6-1) 1228 4
    7. Florida (6-1) 1199 7
    8. Georgia (7-1) 1137 9
    9. Utah (8-0) 987 12
    10. Oklahoma St. (7-1) 972 8
    11. Boise St. (7-0) 894 13
    12. TCU (8-1) 813 15
    13. Ohio St. (7-2) 752 10
    14. Missouri (6-2) 740 16
    15. LSU (5-2) 573 11
    16. Florida St. (6-1) 546 23
    17. BYU (7-1) 545 17
    18. Tulsa (7-0) 524 19
    19. Ball St. (8-0) 445 22
    20. Minnesota (7-1) 403 25
    21. Michigan St. (7-2) 292 NR
    22. North Carolina (6-2) 232 NR
    23. South Florida (6-2) 153 14
    24. Oregon (6-2) 150 NR
    25. Maryland (6-2) 71 NR

Now tell me, how come a one loss USC team (and to a bad team at that) still gets ranked over us? I'm not to be homer or anything, but don't we have a higher Sargarin SOS and plus we lost to a legit #1 team in the coutry, yet we are still ranked below USC? I also think Tech deserves to be ranked higher than OU at this point, simply because they haven't lost a game and did beat a ranked team, albeit an overrated one in Kansas. And Mizzou should be ranked higher than tOSU. Sure they lost two straight games and one of them was to the BEST team in the country. If I'm correct, didn't tOSU got their ass handed to them by USC, who also has one loss?

8. Major

Major Member

This is, unfortunately, a problem that's probably going to occur a lot this year. You have 10 total BCS teams, and only 2 per conference. Let's assume the B12 and SEC get two teams each - that's 4. Then you've got the other 4 conference champs. For simplicity, I'll just pick some random teams. We're looking at:

Texas
    OU
    Florida
    Alabama
    USC
    Penn State
    Random crappy Big East Champ
    Random crappy ACC Champ
    Some BCS Buster from the collection of undefeated minor conference champs
    ???

There's still a 10th team there. I don't think there's any way you can pick a 2nd team from the Big East or ACC. Meaning you have to pick a second team from the Big 10 or the Pac 10 (or a 2nd BCS Buster). Assuming this crap team and the crappy Big East and ACC champs are spread out, you're looking at 3 crappy bowl games out of the 5.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

how in god's name is usc ahead of okie state?

my (realistic) opinion:

Texas
    Ala
    Penn
    Tech
    Fla
    osu
    ou
    Ga
    usc
    utah (wont last long)

10. VesceySux

Who are the 3 idiots that voted Penn St #1 over Texas and Alabama???

11. RedRaiderRocket

Jason it's all about the hype. The media and coaches loves USC. They are a top named school and will draw great ratings. I watched them yesterday vs. Arizona and they looked really bad. They will make a big deal about their wins against Virginia who at that time was terrible had just lost a core of their big name defensive players, and an overrated Ohio State team without Beanie Wells. I am glad Tech was able to bump them this week, but I am sure it is just trying to hype the Texas vs Tech matchup as much as possible. USC has struggled against 2 unranked scrub Pac-10 teams by losing to Oregon State, and almost losing to Arizona last night. Until there is a playoff this same garbage will happened every year.

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

people from Pennyslyvlania

Also, USC being ahead of Georgia, who just romped LSU, and Florida who romped Kentucky...that's just stupidity.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

7 point victory on the road vs. 4 point victory at home. Yes, I consider PSU's victory more impressive.

Please enlighten me on how bad the #9 ranked team (now 13) in the nation is. Same team that has only lost 4 times at home since 2002.

It isn't that PSU's victory was amazing, I just don't put much stock in home victories by 4 point margins.

14. The Cat

You act as if the two teams were comparable. If Oklahoma State played Ohio State, I'd be shocked if the Buckeyes could stay within 25. Even in Columbus. As far as enlightening you on how bad they are, check any result in 2007 or 2008 when Ohio State played semi-legit competition.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then you don't watch college football. There was no doubt which was the best game of the day and it wasn't the one played in Ohio. The past means nothing in college football. Who cares what they've done since when? That was a horribly played game. There was nothing impressive about it. Someone had to win and PSU played slightly less craptastic than did the home team.

The UT win was more impressive by far. There is no excuse for anyone giving PSU 1st place votes over the team that was unanimous just a week before and who had beated it's 3rd consecutive top 10 team.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

My dream scenario would be a PSU/OK State matchup in a bowl game... but I don't see that happening. (2 favorite teams)

But, I'd pay to see OSU v. OSU as well.

After checking OSU's 07/08 schedule, check out OSU's 07/08 schedule vs. semi-legit competition.

17. RedRaiderRocket

In a way the Penn state could have been more important than the Texas game based on, Penn State is now a lock to win the big 10. Unless one of the 2 Texas teams goes undefeated and Alabama, Penn State is now a pretty strong lock to go undefeated and play for the national championship. I don't think Penn State or Ohio State would finish in top 4 of the big 12, but that doesn't matter.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Best game and most impressive victory are not the same.

I don't watch college football? Yet you're commenting that the past doesn't matter?!? How do you think the polls work?

And I agree, Texas shouldn't have lost any votes, but I certainly expected PSU to gain on them, and lo and behold... they did.

Don't get angry w/ me, because the system is flawed. Maybe you should watch less games and figure out how the people rank teams.

19. The Cat

What are you talking about? Last week, Texas had 1,625 points to Penn State's 1,506 -- a difference of 119. This week, Texas has 1,625 points to Penn State's 1,503 -- a difference of 122. Texas gained on Penn State.

20. VesceySux

C'mon, this is ridiculous. Do you consider Virginia's 24-17 road victory at #18 Georgia Tech more impressive than UT's measly 4-point victory at home, too? I mean, after all, Georgia Tech was undefeated at home this year prior to yesterday. :rolleyes:

Texas faced a #7/#8 Oklahoma State team that had the 6th best scoring offense in the country (#6 in the nation in rushing and #58 in passing), the #4 QB in the country (based on RAT), and the #6 rusher in Hunter. The Horns won by 4.

Penn St faced a #10 OSU team that had the #67 scoring offense (#106 in passing and #43 in rushing), a ridiculously lowly rated passer (below #100), and the #39 rusher in Wells. The Lions won by 7.