1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] #1 America's Team vs #7 Boone Pickens Toy Train Set

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

I think OSU really outsmarted themselves in this game. Their 2nd to last drive - they were running at will on Texas. For some reason, they decided to pass on 2nd down - got sacked, forcing them to pass on 3rd and then ending that drive. I think if they just ran on every play, they score, take the lead, and leave relatively little time on the clock. Good thing for Texas they didn't.

I really hope a B12 team plays an SEC team in the championship game. Penn State would get blown out, as OSU did the last two years. Bleh.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Absolutely. Given the strength of competition and the CCGs, I think it would be completely justified for voters to jump a one-loss Big 12 and/or SEC champ over an undefeated Penn State. I suspect the computers will put them ahead, easily. Question is, can the voters look past the 0 in the loss column? I worry about the "feel good" angle of JoePa at age 146 overriding rationality on the part of voters.

3. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

You can blame that on Gundy. And he himself took the blame and said that he basically screwed it up towards the end. In other words......wait for it......wait for it...........

......he took it like a MAN!!!. :D

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't want to see a non-deserving Penn State in the BCS Championship game any more than you. But don't blame the Big 10 for not being greedy like the other conferences.

An 8 team playoff would be the best solution.

5. yo

yo Contributing Member

Glad you're lightening up about Gundy. ;) Awesome game today, I was there with some OSU fans around and we had a good time, just some fun jawing back and forth.

Definitely one of the more unnoticed defenses in college football, clouded by the offensive numbers y'all have been putting up. Keeping Texas to 28 points shows a lot about that defense, coupled with a solid, balanced offense. I will be rooting for y'all vs. OU.

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

not if Penn State is in the NC game

The Big 10 is a Big Joke this year, and 2 one loss teams from the sec and big 12 should play in NC game.

7. Major

Major Member

I don't understand why a conference championship game is greedy. In the B10, you can have two teams go undefeated in conference. Then they pick the winner of the conference based on who hasn't won it the longest - how dumb is that? I would hate for a B12 South and B12 North team to both go undefeated in conference and then have some arbitrary reason that one is the conference champion.

It seems to me anyone that supports a playoff to have things decided on the field would totally support conference championships? The Pac10 is the only major conference that makes sense to not have one, because all the teams actually play each other and decide it on the field.

8. Major

Major Member

Yeah, I think if PSU goes undefeated, they are in over any 1-loss teams, unfortunately. The pollsters would put them as a unanimous #2 (assuming only one of TX/ALA/TTU are undefeated).

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Co-Signed, Big time!

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The reason for conference championships games is revenue. Pure and simple. The Big 10 has not (yet) decided to make that particular cash grab. Maybe when they add a 12th team.

BTW, I do see your point.

11. RedRaiderRocket

Wow Arizona needed less than an inch on 4th down, could not even sneak it pass the line of scrimage. USC is still highly, highly overrated.

12. Major

Major Member

I agree they were a cash-grab, but I think they were also a big step towards deciding things on the field as we started getting these big 12-team conferences. The B10 is also (probably coincidentally) the biggest obstacle to the playoffs. The B12, SEC, ACC, and BigEast seem to be all open to it. The Pac10 seems resistant but open to change. The B10 is vehemently against it. Seems to fit right in with their willingness to decide the B10 championship based on what team hasn't won it the longest.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are being obtuse...that is not the change we need.

;)

DD

14. flipmode

flipmode Member

props to jason and oSu. beat those dirt burglars and take their BCS bowl, would you? pettigrew, toston, and hunter are MEN and they didn't have to wait till they were 40.

go pokes.

15. yo

yo Contributing Member

Question:
    What happens if Tech beats Texas, but then Oklahoma beats Tech? And assume they all win the rest? All would be one loss teams in a 3-way loss triangle. Who goes to the Big 12 Championship?

16. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

http://newsok.com/article/3170665

It's fairly complicated.

17. DPballer

DPballer Member

Well that's exactly what would happen if the Big 12 didn't have a conference championship. Instead, you would have all teams playing each other. It just sucks that the Big 12 championship game can knock teams out of the MNC race or even BCS race for that matter (Mizzou last year).

The Cat, I'm sure know about the complete and utter embarrassing performance by Kansas' defense today. I'm not even worried about that game anymore to be honest. I agree with Pat Forde's article. If we beat Tech, we're going to Miami. Mizzou will romp KU and get another shot at BCS in the Big 12 championship game.

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The rules are complicated, but not their application in that case. In the hypo they've all got identical conference / division / overall records, with their losses to each other. The rules say that the winner of the South would be the team ranked higher in the BCS standings that follow the last game. In that case, my money would be on OU, because a loss to Tech would drop UT more than 2 or 3 spots.

19. Major

Major Member

Except there are too many teams in the B12 for that to happen. You can't play 11 conference games - you'd never have the opportunity to play anyone else, and it would be impossible for the conference to recruit around the country or to really see how good it is compared to other leagues. The Pac10 can pull it off because they have 10 teams and play 9 conference games. Even the Big10 (with 11 teams) only plays 8 or 9 conference games, which is why they have their stupid tiebreaker possibilities.

That's why all the 12-team leagues have conference championship games. They all play 8 conference games and then have the CCG to deal with any ties. Yes, the CCG can knock people out of the title game - it can also give teams a huge extra win against a good team to help make the title game. LSU last year got in by winning the SEC title game and leapfrogging Georgia and some other teams to #2. Texas could have in 2001 had they won it after the SEC team lost theirs - without the title games, they had no chance. Okie's dominant win compared to Auburn's close win in the year with the 3 undefeateds helped ensure Okie made it to the title game.

My view on it is that if you're supposed to be one of the two best teams in the country, you should be able to handle winning that game. If you lose it, you deserve not to make the national championship. The Big 10 is the only conference to benefit from not having one, and they've only won 1 national title since the BCS was introduced, so it's really not preventing SEC or B12 teams from winning national titles.

20. Major

Major Member

I think it would depend on how OU and Tech look in their wins over OSU to some extent, and how Texas looks in a loss to Tech. Margin of victories and losses would play a huge role in the polling. Texas would probably have the advantage in the computers by being the only team in the bunch to beat Missouri, the best of the B12 North teams.