1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cod-bomb] Nene: "It's not happening again" and Rockets talking to Silver/League about calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 7, 2017.

1. TheresTheDagger

Such a stupid comment in a playoff series where 2 teams are this evenly matched.

One or two calls can be all it takes to swing a game (and thus a series). Accepting shoddy officiating because you feel you are being some kind of "tough guy" by saying play better only means you never fix the problem and instead help perpetuate it.

I suppose though that if by this point the NBA isn't interested in fixing the real issue, it never will.

Voltik, don grahamleone and BigMaloe like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's not the number of fouls called. They almost invariably come out pretty even. It's what foul is or is not called and when.

Didn't Stern face that with a particular rogue ref?

Yeah, the way the game was called sucked big time. Tonight is a new night.

If Rox deserve to win Rox will win. They plat the SAPops not the friggin refs.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Phil Jackson was quite famous for whining about refs post game.

Cuban does it a lot (publically).

We saw in the Memphis series it does have an effect.

Makes sense, doesn't it? If someone you knew, a guest that visited your house frequently stole things from you and you knew but said nothing about it, they would continue to do it wouldn't they? You have to put them on notice, if you don't then they never stop.

4. val_modus

val_modus Member

I wonder how the early 2000s Sacremento Kings fans feel about everyone saying bad refereeing just happens. Lol. The NBA does a horrid job hiding these things. They're a little better at it during postseason games, but watching them close the gap in a regular season national TV game is hilarious.

Voltik, BigMaloe, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How long have you been holding on to this?

6. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Have you looked at Harden's shot chart? How many times did he drive, get hacked and didnt get a call? How many of those turned into fast break attempts for the Spurs because he got knocked to the floor?

Dont be like the national "only stats watching" media...

heypartner likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with many here the refs have been terrible; I also subscribe to the idea the Rockets should fight through the bulls**t. Composure, Maturity, Focus. Get up, get back. Whine during dead balls, and after the game. Don't let someone or something else take your opportunity.

Even If you think the NBA might be rigged, what are you going to do about it? "Give up" shouldn't be an option. Be stubborn, get mad and hoop.

legacies are being made.

Easy and waytookrzy079 like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Some say good teams whine and get their way.

This all started because Pops whined. SAS started the whining when we blew them out by 40pts. Just like Cuban whined about Yao when we got up 2-0. What? Do you just expect JVG to just rollover to Cuban, or Les now, after the favorite in both instances got embarrassed, so decided to whine.

I guess since it's Pops, it's a brilliant strategy to play the refs vs whining.

Don't even try to tell me Pops isn't doing more whining than MDA in this series. And on top of that, very minor whining by Bev and Harden got T'd up. That in itself was shocking vs the whining the Spurs got away with.

9. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

I know it looks like we always get crapped on by the refs. If anyone ever gets real proof that the league tells the refs to call in favor of one team or the other it would be bigger than Watergate. Has any ref past or present ref ever claimed they were told to try to influence the outcome of a game or series?
    Are the owners involved. Is TNT, ABC, NBC or ESPN involved? Would it be illegal, I mean could they go to jail? Could a current ref be turned or could we send in an Under Cover? Are we mushrooms ..kept in the dark & fed shitt? To me RocketsBasketball is almost a religion. If this was proven it would be very disappointing. Tell me it ain't so, I probably watch too many cop shows. Go RedNation:)

don grahamleone and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. bigred77

bigred77 Member

Almost seems like a #mediaconspiracy?

BigMaloe and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. j@amc

j@amc Member

And why not actually call the double dribble? I'm fine if they can call it on us, but it is so wrong to catch the ball, fumble it, pick up your dribble, wait 3 seconds and then dribble again. Talk about rewarding ineptitude. That's almost as bad as the Leonard--I-don't-have-a-pivot-foot-plays.

I hope we jump out and pressure the ball and force them to pick up their dribble, but please, call it when they use up their dribble. Enforce the rule.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Get out here with your facts. The rockets deserve more calls.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

totally deserves its own thread. I'm serious.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm willing to hear him out...

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but the analogy is incorrect. The guest is not stealing. The guest is clumsily tripping and breaking stuff. But you don't have time to make a clumsy person not clumsy. You can't make referees not screw up by being angry. There's a lifetime of reasons why they are that way and it can't be sorted out in 48 hours.

They screwed up a couple of calls. It's going to happen again I'm sure, to us and the Spurs, with random frequency. Maybe there was ill intent maybe there wasn't but why the F would anyone be biased towards San Antonio or against the Rockets? Two Texas teams in the second round. If anything, the Rockets are better for ratings.

Just pointless whining from the team honestly. And they have been an especially whiny squad all season and as hard as a referee tries to keep bias out of his mind, it will get to him. I'M tired of seeing them dispute calls and I'm their fan. Give MDA those milliseconds of not running back and he will make points out of them.

If we're going to spend the first quarter seeing how the refs feel the Spurs are going to bury us while we're having our little tea party. I like that they are thinking of playing tougher but the refs won't allow that tone to be set in an obvious manner. What we need is smarter player, quicker execution. It's not that hard for us to beat them. They have been playing every game like it's their last, we have not in the last 2 and it's because our guys simply suck when they are favorites. That's been our identity for the James Harden era. Flop when you're the favorite, kill it when people talk **** about you. It's time to change that narrative by ascending to a stronger mental state. From the trauma of losing 2 straight we need to grow, like they did after we whipped them in game 1.

I want to see better execution of our plan, and that would have won us 1 more game so far even if the refs are screwing up.

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I don't understand why they do it? Are they afraid of pop? They did it to the grizz too

17. heypartner

I was actually more interested in Nene's quote. There is two pieces of info from Codman. First his talk with Nene, who said he is pissed at himself, and it won't happen again. The second info is sources telling him what Rockets are doing behind the scenes wrt calls.

Am I the only one who read this as @Codman passing info from two separate sources wrt two different pieces of interesting info.

[EDIT] just read Codman's post above, which clarifies he had two conversations, one just Nene's state of mind going into Game 4, and that pleases me.

Rocket River, BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

While I think it's good the Rockets are discussing bad calls to the NBA, you honestly have to expect it. And if the Rockets get past the Spurs which they should, they should expect even more BS from GSW and the Cavs if they go that far. We're complacent over Kawhi who is nowhere near the star that Curry and Lebron are. You gotta know that BS calls will be called but you gotta move on from it and adjust.

19. heypartner

Are you denying that Pops whined to the league after we blew him out by 40pts?

20. MystikArkitect

If you're gonna free up the lane and stay on the shooters and you're free to hack Harden...pretty much neuters the Rockets offense no?

adw and chandlerbang21 like this.