1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coach-Roster?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a la rockets, May 25, 2003.

1. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

The end of Rudy T era has left me with numerous questions concerning the futur of this team.Since I don't have MacB's style to compare Francis to a pizza or my GranMa :D ,I'll just ask my questions plain and simple.

How do you think the new coach will alter the shape of our roster?Do you think he'll stand put and try to work with what he's got?Or will he break up the team and trade all the players the don't fit HIS system?
    Before Rudy's departure,everybody here wanted to move Steve to the 2 and bring in a tall PG.Does this still stand or will we continue to force him into a role that doesn't seem to fit him?
    If we do keep SF at the 1,does Mobley come back?or does he become a 6th man option?If so,who inherites the 2 spot?
    To keep Posey or not to keep Posey?Will Nachbar ever get a chance?
    Start MoT or EG?

I guess all these questions depend on who takes the job,but I still want to hear what everybody has to say about it.

ALA
    PS: (last question I promise!)For each coach mentioned,what would be ur take for each of the previous questions?

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I think there will be some changes to fit the new coach. I think everyplayer on are team is on the trading block except Yao and Francis of course.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I would expect a few tweaks here and there on the roster. A veteran SG and PF (starter or backup).

4. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

greatly said!!!

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Our roster will not change much next year due to the cap restrictions we have.

Center - Yao Ming and Kelvin Cato

Yao is a franchise center, probably the #2 center in all of basketball.
    Kelvin Cato is a great backup center. He can rebound and block shots. Who doesn't love watching Kelvin dunk the ball.

Power Forward - Eddie Griffin and Maurice Taylor

Eddie is young. He still has a tremendous upside. He needs a teacher and with some guidence he can be a solid PF. He has a nice jump hook and can block shots.
    Maurice Taylor - Can't rebound but can score in the 4th quarter something the Rockets aren't the best at doing. We can't trade him thanks to Carroll Dawsons negotiating skills. But he's a good role player. He can hit the outside shot or come in on the post with a little jump hook.

Small Forward - Glen Rice, Jeff Posey, Boston Nachbar

Glen Rice is in the final year of a huge contract. It makes sense to keep him because he will free up quite a bit of money after next year. He still can hit the 3 which suites Yao's game. When the ball is dropped into Yao, we need guys who can spot up and hit the 3 ball.
    Jeff Posey - don't know if he will even be on the team next year. He's a free agent but i think a must keep. He is solid defensively and a nice role player
    Boston Nachbar - i wish i had more to say but uh... let him play!

Shooting Guard - Cuttino Mobley, Juaqin Hawkins
    Cuttino Mobley - needs to learn how to get the team involved more. He shoots too many shots. There were too many times when Yao was down low in the post waiting for the ball and Cuttino would jack up some crazy shot and miss. If anyone has to go this is the man. But i don't know what we could get for him
    Juaqin Hawkins - solid defensively, no more than a 10 or 11 guy in the rotation

Point Guard - Steve Francis and Moochie Norris

Francis is an allstar, great rebounder, scorer and would be better suited for the 2. I think Steve improved on his game last year and made an effort to get players involved more.
    Moochie Norris - most overpaid rocket in my opinion. We shelled out way too much money for a backup PG when we already had Francis! I would love to get rid of Moochie but no one is stupid enough to take on a contract that bad.

Overall our team will not change much. I think you will see the same personal pretty much.

6. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

another well said statement!!!:D

7. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Depends on the coach. If you hire Larry Brown. He loves players like Juaquin Hawkins. Look at Raja Bell and Percy Snow. He loves roll players who play defense. Hawkins willn't take a bad shot and will pass the ball and isn't a horrible shooter. Maybe T-Mo plays. If you hire Mike Dunleavy Then Bostjan Nachbar may play a lot, reminds him of his son.