1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN's Jim Acosta has press pass suspended by White House

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

So, the intern shouldn't do her job?

2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...got a minute?

Funny story...might have told it before, but...

...back when I was in the Army...I did my AIT (advanced individual training) in Georgia.

...had a sergeant there that was a real piece of work...Tennessee-an...bars-and-stars...the-South-shall-rise-again...all of that stuff...
    ...he was irritating, but I never really disliked him...

...anyway, we're out on maneuvers, and the usual complaints from the troops were going up (about the weather, the rucksacks, the MREs....the usual)...

...and the sergeant says..."Complain all you want, boys...best learn now that **** rolls downhill..."

I was always a loudmouth and a smart-alec, so I shot right back: "...for that to be true, then there's gotta be an a$$hole at the top of that hill...Sergeant!"

...best two weeks of KP duty I ever pulled. And it went over great with the boys (and even the sergeant), so that made it all worthwhile...

...Kinda what this whole thing reminds me of. A lot of arguments could be made (rightly or wrongly) about how wrong somebody was or how two wrongs don't make a right or anything like that...

...but this is what people who don't want any kind of honest discussion or examination of facts tend to do: get enough crap on everybody, and then everybody looks around and sees the same crap on everybody else and thinks that you smell just as bad as I do so you've got nothing to talk about...

...and that's true, for effect if nothing else...but all that really happens is a distraction. Nobody (or at least I'm assuming nobody) likes having **** thrown all over them. And once it's on you and everybody else around you, nobody's got a real cause to think that anybody smells any better than anybody else...which becomes the way to avoid the obvious: who the hell dropped the initial turd in the first place?

...God (or whoever may be listening...or caring...) I miss serving my country sometimes...

#102 mdrowe00, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Nook, jcf, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  3. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

So he suppressed a reporter he didn't like by calling on him in the first place? Possibly engaging him to shut him down?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... sorry, to this specific point, yes, probably. I was talking about more generally.

More generally, the GOP is acting in a way that I'm embarrassed to have to try and explain to my children. From p***y grabbing, to offending fallen soldiers, to constant hypocrisy, to, well, almost everything.

Acosta may be a horrible journalist (I don't know), and certainly could have also handled this way better. But at the end of the day he is indeed a journalist, no the POTUS or the press secretary.

IVFL likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Didn’t like the engagement. Suppress after that.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

What does he stand and work for, besides non stop Trump bashing ??

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

Reporting the news, I think you might not like what or how he reports it. That's fine, I just hope you don't plug your ears to it because its not what you agree with.

8. IVFL

IVFL Member

I know what you mean. I am making an honest effort to understand the other side and how they would view these type of situations. That's where my original post is coming from.

It unfair to be held to a standard that is not met by those holding you to said standard. . . . .

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. IVFL

IVFL Member

Great story,

We get so distracted by the problems that we don't seek out the root of the problems.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Lmao... Truth

Trump Supporters are the biggest snowflakes. Mostly cucks and sensitive incels. Like their orange, cucked hero/Putin's b****.

Nippystix likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the video on the Washington Post website is much better; I attempted to pull a similar video off of youtube as the WaPo one did not embed with the rest of the quoted article.

On the whataboutism issue, I'll simply respond that there is a difference between whataboutism as a tactic to distract from a criticism (or whatever) and pointing out inconsistency, which is what I gather Althouse was doing here. She has no dog in this fight, she was simply suggesting that an action for which Lewandowski was actually charged (and which Chris Calizza hyperventilated about in his 2016 WaPo story about the incident) does not in fact differ from what Acosta did. Hence her interest in the legal question: if one action is a chargeable offense then so too is the other action. That the inconsistency extends to the press coverage (including that of the Washington Post) of yesterday's incident is just icing on the cake.

For more on the difference(s) between whataboutism and legitimate criticism see e.g., https://www.philpercs.com/2017/11/whataboutism.html

#111 Os Trigonum, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    jcf likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have been at hundreds of press conferences, conferences, and other briefings where a "floating microphone" is deployed to people in audiences. No one distributing the microphone ever attempts to grab away from someone.

You trying to spin this as "not letting the intern do her job" only make you look ridiculous.

Eric Riley likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The report was an unprofessional ass. You aren't entitled to act without decorum in the white house press room. That's Trump's job.

NickLewis and Falcons Talon like this.
  14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...THAT'S the spirit!:D

...and nobody better say nothin' no more about respecting no office of the President...

quikkag likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Great twitter thread...

Eric Riley, Nook, quikkag and 3 others like this.
  16. mick fry

mick fry Member

cml750 likes this.
  17. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...Ha!

...who says that the Donald's against globalism? He doesn't seem to mind taking ideas from other countries at all...!

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't be an idiot, she's an intern not security. Her job is to pass the mic around the room not forcefully remove mics from reporters.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Comparing that clown Jim Acosta's situation with Chinese censorship is disrespectful to all of the brave people in China fighting for freedom against actual oppression. Having lived and worked in China, she's dead wrong. It's a false comparison.

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Isn't this the truth?

CNN needed a time out with the Fox News style coverage they've been pumping out. Hopefully more outlets that pander to political wings get banned.