1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN's Jim Acosta has press pass suspended by White House

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks to The Donald, everybody on the planet knows who he is. But in, say July, if I handed you a book of mug shots could you have picked him out and told me anything about him?

I dont know, maybe you could have. I really dont know the answer. I can say that couldn't have, and apparently I'm the type of person he is courting. Honestly, the only reason I know who he is is thanks to The Donald.

It still interests me that nobody seems at all perturbed by the timing. The day after a midterm bummer? Maybe Trump hates Acosta and has for decades but if you really don't think the timing here is a bit fortuitous?

If this was calculated by Acosta, it was every bit as calculated by Trump.

Mad overrides sad.

Trumps best political move has always been pointing his followers at someone to get mad at. And who am I to knock it? It has worked every time. You guys feed on anger at libtards and social justice warriors.

Nook and R0ckets03 like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are comparing a heckler interrupting a speech to a reporter trying to get a question answered seriously at a press conference?

FranchiseBlade and edwardc like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

When it comes to the press, a President shouldn't get to choose whom he likes in the press and dislikes to ask him questions - that sets up a dynamic where the media is pressured to only send over synchopants and deny the country from getting questions the president doesn't want to answer from getting asked.

This isn't about Acosta or Trump, it's about the importance of a truly free press free to ask uncomfortable questions to a president - and this freedom of the press was recognized by our founding fathers as a pillar of democracy.

Erode these institutions this way, and you start to go the route of other countries where the president can control what gets reported - it's a dangerous slope to take and far bigger than anyone one's dislike, press passes, or whatever.

Mr.Pringles and KingCheetah like this.
  4. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I don't know what you mean by you guys but the only thing I feed on is free enterprise, reduced government control over our lives
    and capitalism. I don't need government Corporatists and bureaucrats telling me how to run my business or who should be allowed
    to do what job at what price.

Donald is far from my ideal leader or President, but the media has just relentlessly pounded on any non-liberal for decades and they've
    just taken it to be 'presidential'. Well Donald Trump is a reflection of the feeling of many that they're sick of the way non-liberals are
    treated by the media and the people in power and they've manifested themselves in a representation of that blow back in the form
    of the continuous counter-puncher in Donald Trump.

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Do you hate liberals.

When you turn on TV news, is your first choice Fox News.

You guys.

I've answered your question. Would you answer mine?

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Refusing to yield the floor is poor form and has consequences. I am not saying you cant ask further questions, but you as a reporter have to know that you are not owed a pass to be in the press room. There is limited space. And yes i have been to press conferences too. This one is not your typical presser. Access has been highly controlled since before Trump.

Also Acosta and CNN have no right before you or me to be in that room. There is no right for access for a three letter news organization versus other members who may engage in the activities of the press. So what should we do? Build a stadium so everyone can be there? CNN is not special in a constitutional sense and I have not seen any case law supporting it as more important than other news outlets.

#326 dachuda86, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jcf likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Maybe if the Prez answered his question instead of dodging he would yield the floor

edwardc likes this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Dodging questions. I am sorry does he have to answer? Politicians dodge all the time if you want to call it that. Typical tribal response.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Your argument has dwindled down to "a reporter should be banned because they showed "bad form"". SMH.

Again... think about what you are arguing... a president can arbitrarily ban any reporter or news organization... just be cause he doesn't like what they say or write about him. It wasn't right when Obama banned Fox (even though in much different and lesser situation), and its not right for trump (or any future president) to do it. Its the act of a totalitarian government... no surprise its something trump wants to do.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

trump supporters are now supporting the idea that the president of the United States (or any other elected official) should avoid answering questions delivered by the press (and for the benefit of the American people). You continue to support the move by the trump presidency towards a totalitarian state. btw, it wouldn't be right for *any* president or elected people to duck questions.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jack Marshall:

"4. Not the there won’t be some judge someplace who would support it, but…CNN has neither a legal nor an ethical leg to stand on with its lawsuit demanding that Jim Acosta get his White House press pass back. The lawsuit is grandstanding, just as those accusing the White House of a Freedom of the Press incursion by justly pulling the credentials of a journalist who repeatedly behaves in an unprofessional manner is grandstanding. CNN can replace Acosta: the network’s access hasn’t been blocked, although I see no reason why it couldn’t be, or shouldn’t be.

"The news media’s war with President Trump is unwise and destructive, and it is journalists who are responsible, not the President, who had the courage and principle to expose the fraud at the heart of their reporting. Now, if he also had restraint, taste and nuance, he could have really done some good. The problem is that the President can’t tell legitimate journalism from the biased, partisan, unprofessional kind, not that he has many opportunities to experience the former."
    https://ethicsalarms.com/2018/11/14...11-14-18-ethics-among-the-sneezes/#more-46891

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Dachuda wants Trump to be dictator and would celebrate it if he gained that power and used it to "cleanse" this country. You know this to be true.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So scary to see this kinda of propaganda being spread in support of authoritarianism

14. NewRoxFan

15. jcf

jcf Member

I'm assuming this is another example of Poe's law? You are not really asserting that Dachuda wants a "cleansing" of the country, right?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So if no news organization or individual has any more right to be there over another, you would be ok with the president only granting press passes to a room full of MAGA Facebook patriots?

17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I really don't hate anybody. I recognize the bias' that are inherent in Fox News, just as I do see the
    bias' on CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC etc.

I think extremism on the liberal or conservative front is silly and dangerous and that as humans we
    must be measured and pragmatic. Most educated conservative leaning people understand Fox News
    is tilted towards the conservative side, do you agree CNN, MSNBC and virtually all the pre-Fox news
    networks are quite liberal leaning?

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lol sure buddy...and yet you get a boner when his approval ratings go up.

Eric Riley likes this.
  19. edwardc

edwardc Member

LOL that just goes to show how the this so called leader is do as i say not as i do.

20. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm sure you believe this, but prepare for disapointment. Even if he was everything you say he was, he has all the superficial qualities that historians love in terms of demeanor and statesmanship.

I mean, there are that 5% that still think FDR was Satan incarnate for the New Deal, but that number had shrunk at time had gone on and history loves that dude. All of the liberals that conservatives have loved to hate have done really well in posterity.

The only thing good about Trump is the fact that I can honestly found him to be a disgusting, despicable human being since I saw him preening to try and look like a big man since I first saw him on TV in the 1980s. Of all the political figures in the world, Trump I'd the one whom I can most assuredly claim that my loathing and disgust was genuine and has no th hing to do with politics. I was totally disgusted when he wasn't a politician, and I was disgusted when he tried to run as a Democrat. Can you tell me your affection is as pure? Were you ready to switch over and become a Democrat if he'd won that nomination?

Because that was the universally aknowledged nickname of mobster John Gotti, and Trump acts like a mobster?

If you really call him that is shows a remarkable obtusity. It would be seriously like calling your favorite politician "Son of Sam"' because his father was named Sam. David Berkowitz kind of took that one off the table forever, for people that you like.