1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CNN, the Left and its Base are Complicit in the Current Toxic Atmosphere of Political Hate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Sure.

There are two parts to the Civil Rights Act. First part says government cant segregate and the second part says individuals can't run their business in a racist manner. Goldwater approved of the first but not the second part. He was a libertarian who hated racism, but felt a person should be able to run their own private business how they wanted. Most libertarians today would still agree with Goldwater.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

MAGAMan just seems to have given up. He's just all cartoons now. Gotta target your audience with something they can understand I suppose.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Go check out the Angela Merkel resignation thread. If you are up for it, that is.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

again, you are ignoring the whole southern strategy of the late 60's and early 70's and the fact that on civil rights, the R's and D's essentially flipped.

either you know this and are being dishonest or you are ignorant of history. which is it?

5. jo mama

folks, this is what happens when you only read breitbart.

Eric Riley and adoo like this.
  6. tallanvor

I'm aware of the souther strategy hoax that's been debunked a million times over. I'm also aware of the voting record of the civil rights act of 1964. So ignoring your silly loaded question, you claimed I misled. What did I mislead on?

7. jo mama

so now youre arguing that the southern strategy was a "hoax"? thats totally insane.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This thread seems to be going well.

I’m glad you guys are seeing the perspective of the other side and coming to a meeting of the minds. Beautiful to see!

Harrisment likes this.
  9. tallanvor

I dont think a single university in the United states would push the southern strategy anymore, but academia has pushed dumb stuff. The southern strategy has been debunked for years and never really made since. The Republicans didnt hold a majority of the south until the 1994 , 26 years after your supposed southern strategy. Carter swept the south. Bill clinton won Several southern states.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Citation to the debunking?

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't the argument that race-based discrimination in private business impugns on another person's liberty?

Hypothetical: all grocery stores in a small town say they won't sell to African Americans on the basis of skin color. The government doesn't have the resources to step in and provide food, nor is there a black-owned business who can meet the demand. How is race-based discrimination by private business not infringing on the liberty of discriminated-against citizens?

12. tallanvor

You cant force someone to do business with you. If I dont want to sell you my car it's not a violation of your liberties . The reason I dont want to sell you my car is irrelevant no matter how immoral it is.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Southern strategy hasn't been debunked. Do you have documentation or evidence that it was debunked? I hadn't seen that. I thought it would have been confirmed. That doesn't mean it was successful, but it was definitely a strategy.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here are some facts. Let's get these out of the way so we can stop visiting them.

• Democrats as a party were against civil rights.
    • Republicans were the party that signed legislation ending slavery.
    • Most racist leaders in the South were Democrats.
    • It is fair to say that Democrats gave us segregation in the South and Jim Crow Laws.
    These are also facts and don't only reside half a century in the past as the previous facts do.
    • The Democrats have admitted that and moved on from those policies
    • A Democrat president from Texas help lead the charge to end that segregation
    • At that point, racist Democrats began splitting off from the party and many joined the Republican party.
    • Republicans have sought to target minorities and impose voter ID laws that will prevent them from voting based on their race.
    • Republicans have admitted doing this.
    • There are Republicans who have advocated overturning the Voting Rights Act and other measures of the civil rights era.
    So those on the right can keep going back half a century and trying to argue against the Democratic party of the 1950s while trying to argue for the Republican party of the 1950s. But those arguments don't reflect the political parties today and aren't relevant to the philosophy of the two parties today.

Eric Riley and jo mama like this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

#AlternativeFacts

tallanvor appears to have joined Cohete on bullshit mountain.

Nook, jo mama and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. jo mama

i cant believe you even have to post this. there are many on here who have decided to try ignore established history for political reasons and you end up in these silly arguments about things that should not even be debatable.

again, its either very dishonest and a deliberate attempt to deflect or its just ignorance.

Eric Riley likes this.
  18. tallanvor

21 democrat senators voted against the civil rights act of 1964. One joined the republicans and 20 stayed democrat. Racist democrats stayed democrat and didn't join the party that defeated them.

Good grief. tell me more about your 'facts'

No modern representative is for removing a ban on institutional racism.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yet conveniently the shooter uses the exact same rhetoric as MAGA acolytes such as blaming George Soros for migrant caravans.

This much is clear. That shooter followed the same "news" sources as the president. The shooter touts the exact same conspiricies your average the_donald posters posts on a constant daily basis.

He "hated" Trump the same way leftists disapprove of Obama and the ACA. It was only a half measure.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You mean southern conservatives voted against the civil rights act?

Who's waving Confederate battle flags today?

Obama supporters?

#80 fchowd0311, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    FranchiseBlade likes this.