1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 5/10/2019 (Playoffs Round 2, Game 6)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 9, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

These are scary stats. The team has got to take this away from the Dubs. It will not be easy, but can be done.

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Harden will need to be better on D and actually put up shots ( especially when he is hitting ) in order for us to win.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

It seems like @Clutch is more worried about KD being out with the heavy ball movement and shooting of the Warriors that Game 6 may become a Warriors victory. I have to agree there that the Rockets switching defense is really a plus with KD out there because of his ISOs. The heavy movement of the Warriors really exposes Harden defensively as well as a few other players.

Still the Rockets should be favored at home without Durant.

A few early thoughts:
    • Capela needs to not play like a ****ing p***y on offense. I do not think it can be understated how bad he was last night. I dont expect him to be a monster on defense with the switching but be strong on offense. Kevan Looney made an impact on offense last night with a few points and his offensive rebounds. DO THAT at least. Can be going up weak af double pumping and missing lay up after lay up. I don't think i've ever been this disappointed in a player. Sadly I do think in some ways if Faried was available last night he may have help with his energy at least because there would be no way he could have been worse than Capela. Capela should be able to be more of a factor offensively with the lineup changes that Kerr may have to employ - he MUST take advantage of the opportunity.
    • Christopher Emmanuel Paul where the hell have you gone? I get that you are missing a step now as you've gotten older. I am not upset about that I am livid at the absolute passive play. There have been numerous times in this entire series where you've have had open looks and passed them up. Not only did you pass them up - when you do the Rockets ended up taking a much worse shot OR you've turned the ball over. The Warriors almost are playing you to exclusively pass the ball now. Paul is in a shooting slump, but I dont care you need to shoot your way out of it. He went 3-14 but those 14 shots seemed like he only took them because he had to not because he wanted to. Paul needs to have a good - not great - GOOD game in game 6.
    • Gordon, Tucker and Harden - just keep doing what y'all been doing
    • Shumpert has been a slight surprise I hope he and Austin keep performing. Gerald Green maybe able to get some minutes in game 6 when Klay or Curry sit so he needs to make the most of it. The Rockets despite their "depleted" bench still have more of a bench than Golden State does.
    • MDA needs to try to trust his guys a bit more. Its frustating to get depth and have MDA just play basically 7.5 guys. What was the point of resting/sitting guys during the end of the season for no reason (which costs us games btw) just to not play anyone outside of the starters and Austin? Guys can't perform if you dont give them the chance. If they dont make the most of the opportunity THEN you pull them. For example Jerebko came in and played with a lot of energy last night, got some boards hit a huge 3, but once he started to be shaky Kerr pulled him immediately. But Jerebko's energetic play for those few minutes were pivotal in the game.
    • Rockets need to attack Draymond, get him in foul trouble and make him a scorer. Without KD in this "2015" warriors lineup Draymond is lethal as a playmaker and they need to make him a scorer. Draymond had like 7-8 assists in the 1st quarter when the Warriors built their big lead.
    • Obvious - try to stick with Klay and Curry and make them take tough shots. Cannot lose them in transition or on any offensive rebounds.
    • Its CRITICAL cannot be understated enough that the Rockets MUST win the minutes when Curry or Klay are on the bench.
    • It would be nice if the Rockets came out strong in the 1st quarter for once this series. After being one of the highest scoring 1st quarter teams all season long they've been complete duds in this series.

The one thing I am not sure on is how the Warriors will try to work this. They have their crazy ball movement thing going but that will wear out the Rockets and themselves and with all the heavy minutes on both teams will it cause heavy legs in the 2nd half? Part of me feels that Kerr may not play Curry and Klay too much and rest them for a possible game 7 so they are fresher and can rely on the crowd energy for them to feed off of. What is essential is the Rockets bench need to come and play BIG so guys like Harden, Tucker and Gordon can get some rest and be as fresh as possible if there is a game 7.

deb4rockets, s3ts, Jake Tower and 4 others like this.
  4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This is where it becomes advantageous for the Rockets to not screw around and to come out aggressive. If they build a double-digit 3rd quarter lead like they did in Games 3 and 4, Kerr may concede instead of running his starters into the ground. Maybe the schedule will change, but right now, the NBA has a tentative Game 7 set for 2:30 on Sunday. That's a brutal turnaround for both teams, but especially the Warriors given their lack of depth.

deb4rockets and hakeem94 like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

the other games if necessary, will adjust around the 2:30 set time for GS/Hou sunday.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rockets will win.

He has been very active defensively, which is probably exhausting him for the offensive sets. He's running the shot clock out repeatedly because that's the only way to get a little rest. We really need Paul to be able to take more of the offensive load.

Killatron 2000, Tfor3 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Rocketeer4Life

If the Rockets lose this series, this would be the disgraced legacy of Harden, Paul, Dantoni and Morey.
    There is no reason they should lose but I don't trust them as they don't seem to have any killer instinct

Alkaholic likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The warriors have more movement without Durant and it usually tears teams to shred either way.

The Rockets are different though because they switch everything.

The Rockets should win these two games on talent alone and you have to consider that outside of Klay and Curry they don't have any more explosive scorers. They don't even have a bench spark.

I mean this is a two man team now and Klay can barely create shots for himself consistently.

Tfor3 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's crazy! I get wanting that for your Sunday afternoon showcase, but that's approximately 41 hours after Game 6 ends. And both teams have to fly back to Oakland.

The other potential Game 7's would be 2 days after Game 6. Make them play earlier in the day.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

rockets should of thought about that last night :) the time slot for game 7 was announced earlier this week. but lets get there first

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Rockets are down by 20 with 2 minutes or less to play, they should play our bench and let them go wild. Who knows, the Clips came back against the warriors once.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Boring win....on to game 7.

Killatron 2000, Tfor3 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Miami_Rockets

Miami_Rockets Member

It’s key we get Steph in foul trouble early and then pounce on them. And we need this done in two games.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

CP3 is no longer a reliable 2nd option and I hope Harden realized this last game. Harden's gonna have to put it all on the line to win this series.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

these are regular seasons stats across multiple seasons, role players etc and they mean nothing
    we are 3 -1 vs the warriors this year in regular season
    we are 3-2 vs warriors this playoffs if we take into account that refs stole game 1

Tfor3 likes this.
  16. Mr. Space City

Moments where either klay or steph are off the floor are going to be huge.

Gotta capitalize on those minutes.

Tfor3 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

put the clamps down on these 2 and we are winning

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Even if Durant wasn't hurt I'd like our chances. Every game has been close enough to have gone the other way.

Last night I had trouble understanding why House couldn't get into the game when we seemed challenged wrt depth, especially after Harden's 4th foul, and role players' inability to make shots.

House hasn't looked good in these playoffs but he's playing for his next contract so has great motivation to turn that around. I'd like to see him get spot minutes at least to see if he's hot.

Killatron 2000 and DaDakota like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc he didn't deserve any minutes. its that simple

hes been playing for his next contract ever since he came back to the team. that still hasn't stopped him from struggling