1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pelicans @ Rockets 10/26/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 26, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...tebook-Chris-Paul-s-return-looms-14566453.php

Defense off to struggling start

The Rockets defense has alternated between good stretches and breakdowns that have allowed the Bucks and Pelicans to put up large numbers in the first two games. That has allowed the Rockets to see signs of potential, but also the work needed to be done.

“Communication is a big part of it,” D’Antoni said. “We keep talking about it. We’re not a championship team right now. We could be, but it’s a process you got to go through. That process is ups and downs. As long as everybody is locked in and trying to get it done and creating good habits, then we’ll be fine. But we’re not even close to being there yet.

“We can be more aware. I think sometimes we’re not totally locked in mentally. That leads to miscommunication or you talked late because you’re not anticipating. This is all normal stuff. You watch around the league, you have good games, bad games, good games, bad games. That’s what happens. It’s going to take a while to get it all together.”

The Rockets' first two opponents averaged 126 points with the Rockets producing a defensive rating that ranks 21st in the NBA.

“We keep watching tape and that (the poor communication) keeps coming up,” forward Thabo Sefolosha said. “It’s normal. It’s expected at this time of the year, so there’s no panic. We just have to do a better job at it.”

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He has to learn how to shoot first though. Whatever intangibles he brings isnt worth it if he can't score. As for him "proving it" Clark has had chances in Gleague, SL and preseason still has a broken shot. I mean how many chances does someone need exactly?

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's ok, i said it in my first or second post here, he didn't shoot well when he played, but for me it's not like he had a lot of chances, and playing time can help, give confidence etc, how many times did he play with the Rockets last season after he got benched for shooting badly in a couple of games. Let's not act like Mike won't bench a young player's ass pretty fast just to play one less guy, one of his favourite players (like Shumpert) or a guy just because he can shoot (like McLemore) even if they still suck overall.

As for this preaseaon i don't really remember how much he played but i'm pretty sure we gave way more minutes to guys like McLemore, Hartenstein, Clemons...i really don't remember Clark playing much outside of a couple of 3/4 minutes of garbage time, just like Ponds, but regardless, having a chance means getting some playing time with the first team for me, especially for a guy like him who can't create, he would have great passers and opportunities with the first team, G-League ad Summer League i don't know, i'm not sure that's the best field to evaluate a player, especially for a 3&D guy, Hartenstein has been great in the G-League, and with the Rockets can't do ****.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes Gleague isnt the best thing to evaluate players but if he can't even dominate GLeague like Harty then whats the point of wasting time on him? Clark isnt a 3nD at this point, he is just a D and pretty undersized at that. At least Harty has shown he can be MVP in gleague but Clark can't even shoot even in GLeague or SL. He started two games in our SL games didnt do **** and got outplayed by dallas SL scrubs. You are wondering why Maclemore played more mins in preseason thats cuz he actually put points on the board in SL unlike Clark.

It's not really the Rox's job to coddle Clark and build his confidence etc, its Clark's own responsibility to up his game. Everyone knows his issue is shooting, the coaches know it, the fans know it Clark himself knows it. Its his responsibility to hire a shot doctor and rework his shot from ground up instead of waiting for mins and hoping somebody gets injured.

5. WestendMassive

Is it just me or is it @Os Trigonum media conspiracy that whenever the NBA admits they missed a crucial call that would have benefited Harden or Houston, they also find something marginal going the other way and highlight that they missed that too?

Look closely at the video of the uncalled "foul" by Harden on Reddick. It's soft as butter and worse happens on most inbound plays at crunch time. I have trouble even finding what they are calling a foul. If that's the standard I'd expect the Rockets to get a lot of free throws on inbounds plays considering how James gets manhandled all the time.

Os Trigonum, hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is why people are so hard on Harden. Its a double standard. He is constantly compared to guys who have way more talent around them than he does. Curry routinely disapears in the playoffs but other guys step up. What youre saying is a fantasy world only few players can go an entire off season without having bad games. Harden is expected to never have any. Its ridiculous. When you try to win a chip you cannot just lean on one guy like the Rockets do every year. IT DOES NOT WORK. What the last two games have shown me is that when Harden has a bad game we're screwed just like always AND IM TIRED OF IT. Im sick of hearing well he's the star its bull **** MAKE A ****ING OPEN SHOT FOR ****S SAKE. GET A GOD DAMNED REBOUND.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

You can see PJ getting old. This small ball lineup is nonsense with House in it. I could argue if it was prime Ariza but with this version of Tucker + House its such bs

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I meant that i wouldn't expect a guy like Clark to ever dominate in the G-League, with that said, i'm not trying to say he doesn't have responsability and/or that it's guaranteed that he would have an impact etc, but i still think for a team with our problems giving playing time to a young player with that skill set should be a priority over a guy like McLemore, especially since we have already Rivers, Gordon and Thabo coming off the bench in the same spots, and not a single PF, instead of b****ing cause we can't protect the paint and get a rebound, but that's just me, i understand that for Mike and a some people, if you can knock down a couple of 3s you're automatically fine, for me it's not but again, that's just me.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes that's just you, you somehow think in MDA's offense an undersized PF with a broken J is gonna get pt. That's like saying you expect a stretch PF who doesnt rebound or defend to get PT in San Antonio Spurs.

Also I took another look at Clark's SL games he averaged 28 mins per game so you can't say he didnt get enough shots. During those 28 mins he averaged 36% FG including 29% from 3 and 50% from ft line. So he doesnt just not have a 3 pt shot, he has no shot can't convert in the paint and in fts. Its funny you mention rebounds because as he is a shorty he can't rebound that well he averaged only 4.4 rebs while Chris Clemons who is a pg averaged 4.3 rebs.

https://stats.nba.com/summer-league/team/15/rockets/

I understand you feel we have a gaping hole at backup PF but Gary Clark is like a beggar version of PJ Tucker with no 3 pts, no shooting, no scoring and worse defense and rebounding. If the dude shot 36% and rebounded as much as the pg in SL what do you think he will do against real NBA competition? Has there been a player who shot horrible vs GLeague and suddenly becomes a sharpshooter vs NBA comp? If there are I bet those cases are few and far between.

As far as I'm concerned the Rox have given Clark so many chances from GLeague last last year to SL this year so it is up to him to prove the team wrong in practice so he gets a shot in a real game. Like I said he is not a 3nD at this point he is just a D, and undersized d at that.

#929 roslolian, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oklahoma City @ Houston Sean Wright (#4) Brian Forte (#45) Natalie Sago (#9)

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

So, you don't think he can defend and rebound better than McLemore? That's all i'm saying, the Rockets already have Rivers, Gordon and Thabo coming off the bench, so yeah, three guards, Clark definitely needs to improve, i never questioned that or said he's a great shooter (and btw 30% doesn't sound that bad to me considering how bad the shot selection and the passers in the g-league are), but with the issues this team has, for me, it would make more sense to play him since he plays in a spot where we have pretty much no one to play, and should give us something we lack (defense and rebounding).

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol if u have more hope in isiah then in clark i cant take it serious. So the 40 point g league mvp for isiah has lead to what exactly lol. So players game doesnt translate to g league....clark. i bet u a 100 buck clark will have a better longer career then isiah

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The 40 pt gleague mvp hasnt lead to anything but the dude who cant get 40 pts in gleague hasnt led to anything as well. Who cares who stays longer on the team they are both scrubs right now so pardon me if I can't take it serious as well.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

30% doesnt sound bad to you I guess you must be a relative of Gary Clark or something thats why 30% isnt bad. Gary Clark almost got outrebounded by the pg but I guess as long as its Gary Clark thats exactly what we need. Bottomline for you Gary Clark is better at defense and rebounding than Maclemore even though thats a nonsensical argument since Maclemore also barely plays and he is a freaking guard so why compare him to Gary Clark.

We got Thabo Sefalosha and Ryan anderson who are both taller and veterans and have performed better than Gary Clark but as long as Gary Clark isnt playing then we got a position that needs to be filled.

I mean...bruh. Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ok, i suppose you're right.

16. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You can't hype up the Rockets roster and their coach every year (calling them contenders) and then make excuses at the very end by calling the rest of his team bad. lol

17. TilmanFinancialWindfall

40 points for MVP Harden and another win against the team that beat the Warriors by 40 points.

MVP for Harden, carrying team to Victory with 40

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

what are you talking about?

19. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

You know exactly what I'm talking about.

20. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Anyone have pictures of the Rockets fans that punched out the pelicans coach? Girlfriend got arrested too.

We're making news all the time!