1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans 2012 NBA Draft Thread (6/28/2012)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

That Kings part is nonsense because no way Robinson slips to #5 unless they are talking to teams above them which I doubt.

2. Mariachi ROCKET

Sucks I have Rehearsal tonight!

3. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Are we sure Robinson is their guy? I am trying to get a handle on exactly what scenarios will lead Sac to keep/trade the pick tonight.

4. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

mariachi rehersal?

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Mariachi ROCKET

YEZIRRR

7. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

They might as well wait for Davis to be available cause it aint happening.

8. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Wow and Rivers is in none of your lists

9. Dukefan

Dukefan Member

I'm new to ClutchFans. I'm a big time Rockets fan and a Mavericks fan. I am more of a college basketball fan, though, Duke being my team of choice and I follow them religiously. I also enjoy the NBA draft so I can see where all my favorite collegiate athletes end up. I had to join to hear about the Dwight Howard news. I so hope we can land him, though it is doubtful.

I'm happy as long as we don't get Gasol...(he isn't any good and too expensive for the Rockets budget)

This year's draft is pretty deep with talent. Not many future All-Stars but full of good to great role players and maybe some diamonds in the rough. In case we keep our picks or end up getting others, these are the prospects I'd most want to come to Houston.

Picks 5-14 (because I don't think we'll get any pick before 5):

Drummond, we'll need a big if we cannot land Howard. Meyers Leonard isn't very good and is very young. He has the potential to be a Tyler Zeller, who is currently in this draft. Tyler Zeller, also a decent prospect, but not worth a lottery pick, in my opinion. Drummond is definitely a risk but he is currently the best big with the most potential in this draft.

Jeremy Lamb, may be the best player on paper coming out of this draft. However, he has more of a Trevor Ariza like attitude towards the game instead of that Kobe killer-instinct. So, there is a risk as to whether he'll get better and become a Brandon Roy type or never become an all-star at all.

Austin Rivers, call me a homer but this kid could be the next Allen Iverson or Tyreke Evans. The kid has a great instinct for the game. He is a coach's son and he wants to be the best in the Association one day. You got to love that attitude. He is a great ball handler and has a quick step. His offense is NBA ready. He does have some problems though. He isn't a true point guard, but more of a shooting guard. He is a scorer first and a passer second. He isn't very tall and still needs to improve scoring with his left hand. He isn't very strong for a 2 guard and could be a liability on the defense side of things. Some of these problems can be improved upon but in a few years I think he can have a James Harden effect for the Rockets.

Terrance Ross, this kid is athletic and would really help out defensively. He is long and can rebound for the 2 guard spot. I really like him in the 12 - 20 range of the draft. Any sooner than that, I'd take guys above. Ross, doesn't have too much potential to be that all-star for a team, but he'd be a Shane Battier type, giving 100% effort all the time.

Outside of the lottery, some other guys would be great additions to the Rockets. Like:

Kendall Marshall. He isn't very quick but he is deceptive and is tall for the point guard spot. He is an excellent passer and is a pass first point guard with a level head and doesn't need to score to be effective.

Fab Melo. He may be pretty stupid when it comes to school work, but on the court, he can ball. You can't teach height and you won't have to with Fab Melo. Depending on where he ends up in the draft, he could be the steal of the night.

Jared Sullinger. He is risky with the back issues, though OSU and Mr. Sullinger (Jared's father) say Sullinger is in great shape and is okay. However, if the NBA has red flagged him, it had to be for something right. He reminds me of Elton Brand. He could be great, but I think his body will eventually take a toll on him and injuries could plague his career.

Perry Jones III. This kid will need some coaching. When you see him in person, you think he'd be like Amare from the Knicks. However, this kid doesn't stay around the paint. He needs to become more aggressive on the boards and needs to stay off the perimeter until he can consistently knock down his 3 point shots. He also would improve tremendously on the defensive side if he's able to get tips from Marcus Camby.

Quincy Miller. I want this guy more than anyone else in the draft. Kid will be a stud if he can stay healthy. If he had stayed at Baylor one more year, he'd be a top 5 pick in next year's draft. He is one of the best sleepers in this class.

My dark horse for the draft is Miles Plumlee from Duke. He is likely thought as a 2nd round pick, but he could slip into the first round. His NBA Combine performances and measurements have been great and a lot of teams are looking for him to be a consistent, hard working, locker room, team-mate. One problem with him though, (this I know from while he was at Duke) is that he is great, sometimes dominate, in practice but when the lights turn on and he gets on the court for a real game he changes from the Hulk to a confused kid. He had his flashes at Duke, but most of us Duke fans wanted the light bulb to stay on instead of the flickers we witnessed.

1 person likes this.
  10. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

WHAT?

[​IMG]

:grin:

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why does austin rivers shoot 36% from college 3pt land and still think he's a good shooter?

#111 Aruba77, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  12. Egghead

Egghead Member

ROYCE WHITE

13. Mariachi ROCKET

Ditto!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Lots of GMs, agents, and associated personnel putting out lots of smoke. Hard to tell.

I do think Sacramento is our play, but Morey's tendency is the unexpected....although he's dealt so often with the Maloofs you can't help but wonder if he'll do so again.

15. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

For those wanting Rivers, just think about how many times you were frustrated with Kevin Martin and then come back and tell me you want the Rockets to draft him.

By the way, there's been no (rumours) deals involving Martin other then offering him to Minnesota. You think he still has some value around the league?

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

AIN'T NO SUCH THING. Or there shouldn't be! :grin:

Sorry. Carry on.

Mavericks? What the heck? Just ain't right. It ain't right.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think he's a natural fit in Atlanta, and i think they like him. Hawks sound like they will be active today.

18. Dukefan

Dukefan Member

lol I knew I'd get something for being a Mavs fan, but I've been called Dirk for awhile on the basketball court. So I grew up loving Dirk and Nash. Rockets are my home team and I've loved them since I can remember. I go to Rockets games against the Mavericks and I wear Rockets gear and cheer for my Rockets! I wish for the Rockets success more than the Mavericks. Especially, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams in Houston instead of Dallas. ;)

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

20. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

First off Welcome. But you lost me here...