1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers re-sign Montrezl Harrell (2 years, $12M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 21, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He was a bad draft pick for sure. Should have just taken Tyus Jones, the guy the Rockets were linked to. He is a solid backup PG.

Or at least Bobby Portis. (cc @Clutch) He at least showed some fight.

#illSeeMyselfOut

Clutch likes this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

FTW would thrive in this thread right now :D

I think Dekker was a good prospect to bet on, at the time i agreed with the front office about getting him over Tyus, not sure why he didn't develop at all in three years, but i guess that's part of the process, some players develop, others don't, and you can't always be 100% about how a 20 year old guy will respond after he ends up being in a nba team, getting paid millions etc since we're talking about persons first...maybe going to L.A. didn't help Dekker either, looks like the guy is more similar to Parsons then we thought...but at least Chandler worked hard until he got paid lol

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Casspi > Dekker > KJ McDaniels

4. Lovemachine2000

Harrell's contract is turning out to be one of the best bargains in the league.

hakeem94 and vlaurelio like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[4:00]

How was your experience in Houston?

It was one of those up and down experiences honestly. It definitely was. Career changer from my rookie year going into my 2nd year. Rookie year I didn't really play at all. 2nd year, it was somewhat of the same but knew I would play on back-to-back nights because Nene didn't play back-to-backs. I knew that's the time I would be playing. As far as my time there, it's one of those up and down type things. When Coach McHale was there, I was in the rotation. Those first 5-7 games, I was in the rotation heavy. I was still learning as a player, learning the offense & how they wanted things done. Coach McHale ended up getting fired and then all my minutes went away. I wasn't one of those players cool just being a part of the team or being on the team. Every chance, every couple days I would ask 'Can I go down to the D-League?'

Was it to get better or you wanted to play?

Both. We ran in the G League, every association runs the same plays that you're gonna run with the main team, maybe a few minor tweaks. You're gonna be featured as the main guy throughout the offense. In that aspect, I just wanted to be able to play the game. Going out and doing layup lines and that really be it didn't sit well with me especially when we were going through tough stretches in that time and there were a lot of close games I felt we lost that one with more effort, extra push, few more offensive rebounds, few more hustle plays, all the little things.

Most despise going down there. When you asked to go down there, you put pride to the side. Did you view it as 'going down' or as I don't want my peers to see it like 'I'm a G League player.' Everyone's not gonna know you asked to go down.

I went down because I wanted to get better as a player. I also enjoyed playing with the guys I was down there with. I enjoyed playing with those guys. They played the right way. They knew even when I came down, they were happy to see me & embrace me like a regular player.

Darkest point of your Houston tenure? Any doubt you would get the opportunity you felt you deserved?

I was always at that 'not knowing' stage, especially my first year. 2nd year, I played on back-to-backs. I produced, gave good minutes & did the little things. I was still learning the game, our system but by the 2nd year, felt what I needed to do and where I needed to be, especially on both ends of the floor. I would say my whole time being there was one of those dark times. When you go from not playing the first year and only playing on back-to-backs in your 2nd year, it's not one of those stable conditions. You can't have an opportunity to prove yourself.

Did you ever doubt you would get the opportunity or doubt yourself?

I don't know what that means. I know the work I put in behind closed doors, even when I wasn't playing in my first & 2nd year. I'd go in with John Lucas. I'm shooting 100 threes in spots from the two corners & top of the key, then we're playing two-on-two full court. I did that every day. Then I did it twice when it came to playing back-to-backs. I would come in early before any other guys and I'm upstairs in the other gym playing two-on-two in a full sweat. I'm getting my work in. Nights I would maybe play a little or maybe not play a little bit, on games that weren't back-to-back, after the game I'm heading right back into the gym to get my shots up. I spend a lot of time in gym as I do now.

You were part of a big significant trade. Was that an exciting time?

It was more so of a surprise than I would say excitement. When it first kind of came out, it came out like twice. When it first came out, I wasn't a part of it. It was Sam, Pat, Lou and that was really it. Then when it came to the finalization of it and the crazy thing is, after it first came out, they were kinda telling me I was gonna be good, nothing to worry about, I'm still gonna be there.

We've heard that before.

Then when it came to the final trade, it was me, Sam, Lou & Pat. I looked at it as another opportunity. I relished in the moment of you know, I'm gonna have an opportunity to prove myself, how hard I work and put myself in position to get minutes.

What did Doc Rivers first say to you?

He kinda knew I could play the game of basketball because my season high with the Rockets came against the Clippers. I had 30. He knew what type of player I was. [...]

Lovemachine2000, Vivi and hakeem94 like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Chump-ass Chris Haynes fishing.

MDA should have played Montrezl.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME

8. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Does he always sound like he has a straw in his mouth

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Is that Trez or Clark/Hartenstein from the future? :D

"Jokes" aside, i feel like if there's one thing the Rockets could really improve is in developing young players, i always felt the way they do it it's just not as good as it should be, and Mike certainly doesn't help in this aspect.

10. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I'm tired of Pat Bev and Harrell's revisionist history.

Montrezl started 13 more games in 2016-2017 than he did in 2015-2016 under McHale, averaged nearly DOUBLE the minutes under MDA as well, scored nearly 3 times as many points, played in 19 more games under MDA, and he went on to average fewer minutes yet his first year playing in LA (and started 11 fewer games).

It's great that he believes in himself, great he's picked up his game, but dark times in Houston? Hardly. His place on the depth chart was well earned. His memory? Faulty.

dmoneybangbang and clutchdabear like this.