1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS! Rep'd for explaining it better than me. Hopefully the naysayers will understand that there were contributing factors to is few minutes with the Rockets. The kid is a natural and is blowing up the D league with his confident and effortless play. Not saying he is finished product but he needs reps with the Rockets to continue his growth. And Rockets are desperate for help at the 5.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Kid has a surprisingly nice stroke. Everyone likes to talk about his defense, because his shot blocks are prolific and highlight reel stuff. But his offense is almost as developed. He dives hard to the basket on PnR and his hands are like magnets. Keeps that ball high too so his finishes look so effortless.

3. rocketshopeful

At this point, is it worth considering bringing this guy up just to help with rebounds for 10 -12 min a game or is he still to raw to where he would get lost on defensive rotations?

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Utah Jazz showing how to develop a raw big man with a freaky skillset. Now Gobert is paying dividends.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Gobert is way more confident than Capela. That is why Clint is not getting any minutes.

6. vator

And Capela has played how many minutes exactly? In Gobert's first 4 games he played 39 total minutes and tallied 3 points, 0-4 from the field, 13 rebounds, 13 fouls, 4 blocks, 1 steal, 0 assists, and 7 turnovers. Capela has only played 19 minutes total. He has missed every shot he has taken, but he has 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 fouls, and 3 turnovers. It is safe to reason that he won't go scoreless if given minutes. Dude can at the very least throw down some nasty dunks. 19 minutes isn't enough time to write him off. You get over nerves by playing more. He can rebound, he can block shots, he can catch, and he can dunk.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Bring the big guy back and let's see if the third time is the charm. There is a small window before Howard comes back to further assess Capela's development. Let's do it.

8. roksoer

roksoer Member

Lol they did a great job with Kanter and Favors too right?

9. vator

As raw as he has looked, I never thought it was in the best interest of the team to give Dorsey and Black minutes over him. Dorsey is a steadier hand, but the ceiling for what Dorsey can give you is very low. Capela is a wild card. 19 minutes just isn't enough to banish him when you've got no other healthy players on your roster with his skillset. People want to say if he was more ready he would play more, but we've seen how that has worked out with other guys we've let go of this year. Canaan, Shved, and Covington all looked much better after being given a real opportunity. In Shved's case, he was good before he got here and good after he left. Canaan produced when given real minutes here too and found himself out of the rotation far too often.

10. vator

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. Favors and Kanter are good players that can both go out and get you double doubles. Gobert was much more raw than either of those guys when he came into the NBA last year and was viewed as a long term project. He fell to the end of the first round and lots of big men were taken before his name was called.

11. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Favors is a future all star and one of the best young bigs in the league

1 person likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

While I agree with you that Capela just needs to work through some nerves, you must realize Utah has the luxury of not caring about their record. We've got to worry about playoff seeding and are currently developing two other big men: Jones and DMo. And before signing Josh Smith we were developing another rookie in Tarik Black. We develop guys our own way and have a pretty good track record so far.

13. indo

indo Member

14. vator

I say we don't care about our record when we play Dorsey.

I kid, I kid...kind of. :grin:

I'm really not a Dorsey hater. He has had a few good minutes here and there, but at the end of the day, he is what he is which really isn't good enough.

15. vator

Favors is 16 and 8 with a PER over 22.

Kanter is 14 and 8 with a PER over 18.

Yeah like I said before, I'm not really sure what point this guy was trying to make. Both of those guys are good players. I'd take either of them on this team right now although Kanter struggles a bit defensively which is why they chose Gobert over him. Gobert is a game changer on the defensive side of the ball though so that is no knock to Kanter's abilities as to why they dumped him.

1 person likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Clint two nights ago. Starting to show a more well rounded game. Some decent court awareness both for good passes to shooters and good cut on a pick and roll. Seems to be seeing the game better. Still dunks and blocks. Playing against a real monster who is slow but makes him look small.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fMkSYj4ddys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Gobert is just flat out better than Capela as of now and is in a better situation to get actual NBA minutes.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It's more than obvious that CC is putting in the work. Capela is far better than he was early on while relying strictly on his athleticism.

What I saw in the video is improved positioning and court awareness. I was impressed with his passing and what looks to be a better overall understanding of the game. I'm more excited than ever about CC, early on I doubted he'd ever make an impact on the big squad. I now believe it's possible he becomes a major contributor at some point.

19. Zbed

Zbed Member

Is Capela mainly a PF or C? Or both?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% C, 0% PF.