1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is sad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

JaVake McGee just went to the Lakers. This is kinda good news for us on both the Laker and Warrior front.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

Funny enough, I posted this about a minute before the news broke that LeBron signed with the Lakers. How ironic!

3. alethios

alethios Member

Does this mean the Warriors are making room for Tyreke Evans?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are still expected to sign Jamal Crawford

alethios likes this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. If he continues to put up 15-12-2 with superb switching ability on pick and rolls, hard to imagine any contract that is a "huge" blunder.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just need to worry about the Kings I think.

7. mightybosstone

There is no "making room" really for the Warriors. If they add anyone, it will have to be through the MLE or veteran minimum deals. But they have zero cap space, so losing a guy like McGee doesn't help them or hurt them in that regard.

8. mightybosstone

And I kind of think that's unlikely. They already have Bagley and Cauley-Stein. If they add Capela, how are all three of those guys going to get minutes? Adding Capela is pretty much their way of saying that they give up on WCS, and I don't think they're ready to do that yet.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Only 5 teams have at least 15 mil in cap space now.

And only two need centers: Bulls and Hawks.

supastevefoo likes this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Bulls just drafted Wendell Carter, Jr. Figure they'll let him play behind Robin Lopez for a year before taking over . . . unless Lopez gets dealt before the end of next season.

luckyman76 likes this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hopefully they feel set with Cauley-Stein, Giles, Z.Bo and Bagley.

They're also one of those two/three teams willing to absorb bad contracts apparently...fingers crossed.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That is ridiculous - too bad I didn't say that. OBVIOUSLY if we lose Capela and end up not being a contender then it is on Morey. My point is there is no direct replacement for Capela in the league so its silly to talk about how we are going to replace him. We would just have to remake the team in a different way to compensate because you can be a successful team in the league without a rim running/defensive big.

....and by the way there is literally ZERO chance that Morey "doesn't have a plan". He might not have the plan you like, maybe the plan doesn't work out even but he has contingency plans just like every other GM in the league and despite some misses he has a strong record in the last decade - especially compared to every other team in the league. Don't forget he is the reason why we are contender right now and probably would have won multiple titles had we not played at the same time as the greatest team of all time.

13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Yes but he did this before we acquired CP3, before Clint emerged as an elite center, and before we got LMAM and PJ Tucker on cheap contracts. Sure he overpaid but one reason Ryno isn't as useful is because we got the perfect other guys around him, thus making Ryno less useful.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

LOL. Ryno is less useful? I think you mistyped..Ryno sucks.

rammo likes this.
  15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Ah figured he would play more of the 4 in the NBA but if that's the case then it's really just the Hawks.

16. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I hate to bid against ourselves on Capela, but would also hate to see us have to decide whether to match a 'poison pill' deal (i.e. Parsons).
    I wonder if he'd take 4 years $70M, escalating from $16M to $19M. It'd be a fair deal for both sides, and could include a player option or ETO in the last year (yeah, I know Morey hates those....).

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not only do they have Wendell (who's definitely a C at 6'10 260 with poor lateral quickness), and Rolo, but they also have Asik/Felicio locked up for 2&3 more seasons with a combined 47+ million in salary (on top of Rolo's 14.3 for this upcoming season).

Bulls FO is notoriously cheap, it seems like they would have to move not only Rolo, but one of Asik/Felicio as well if they had intentions of giving Capela serious money. They could still be a dark horse for Clint, but as of right now Hawks seem like the only real threat, and that could all go out the window if they plan on taking back salary with their current cap space (which is being reported), the Hawks may very well be content with their own center position as they have 4 centers in Collins, Dedmon, Miles Plumlee and Mike Muscala.

Here's to hoping the market is bone dry for Clint, and we can end up locking him up on a fair contract. Would love to see Clint on a 4/60 or 5/75.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I get ya, but... if Ryno continues to put up 20ppg while providing superb floor spacing, hard to imagine any contract that is a "huge" blunder. :)

#118 topfive, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Look Clint is good but some people have some serious Homer glasses on. Guy is not worth the max and most NBA teams know it. He is a product of Chris Paul and James Harden lobbing and getting him easy shots. He needs to stay in Houston where the best pg in the NBA and best passing Sg is here to help him look good and possibly get endorsements. If he goes anywhere else I guarantee he will disappear.

Moleb likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Signing Clint to a contract starting at around $15 million would be a steal, in my opinion. Morey is notorious (or one could say smart) for almost never handing out player options. Capela might want one on the last year of a deal that he thinks is a bit less than his value. Just a thought.