1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If your doctor told you that you have terminal brain cancer and it was already too late to stop it.....would you bankrupt yourself trying anyway or would you go on enjoying what is left of your life?

See what I'm saying? That's the problem with the extreme fear mongering tactics used by the church of catastrophic anthropogenic climate change, they pushed it too far to where even if people don't call BS, there's no point in bankrupting the country if it's already too late like they've been saying for over 6 months now.

Of course, if we ignore those people and only consider the more rational ideas then you still have the discussion of if climate change is actually primarily driven by human activities in the first place and there's nowhere near a consensus opinion on that and even less consensus when considering if there is anything that can actually be done to slow or stop said climate change rather than simply coping with the changing environment like everything on the planet has had to do for the entire history of the planet.

2. dmoneybangbang

No.... you are using the same tactics the creationists used.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, that wasn't said.

There has never been a consensus that "It's too late to stop it." so the rest of your point is moot. They've been saying that it isn't too late at all.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

and why is the ground data more accurate? These are the types of questions you must answer when you want people to give up loads of their hard earned money.

good ****ing god this is awful and wrong. No chance in hell i or anyone else is going to give up our hard earned money and liberties without injecting ourselves in the conversation.
    MY doctor tells me what he thinks and i decide if i agree or want a second opinion...... the call is mine. And i sure as hell dont agree to brain surgery without him answering all my questions regarding the problem and his proposed solution. who would be that stupid?

never said they didn't. I also gave you a quote showing the science is not settled.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal...ming-satellites-or-thermometers/#af96cfa16053

Actually, this is the question that they must answer. I don't pretend to be qualified enough to answer such questions.

What is awful is that people think their money is more important than our living area, our air, and our water. That's awful and wrong to me.

So wait...you actually go to your doctor and tell him HOW to diagnose you? "Hey doctor, I have cancer. Can you fix it?" seems a little backwards to me. Usually it's the doctor that tells you what may be wrong with you and how to go about fixing it.

Again, the science of quantum physics isn't settled but it is still very real.Evolution is still a 'Theory' but it is still very real.

6. tallanvor

incorrect again..... ugh.... I said if you want my money you need to prove your case....... its like talking to a high schooler.
    swing and another miss. u suck noodles at reading. i said the doctor diagnose me and i make him explain himself. If hes not compiling i get a second opinion. And i sure as hell don't get brain surgery unless i hear a compelling case for it and all my questions are answered.

when i was in high school we were told to eat the food pyrmaid, now everyone knows that too be wrong and unhealthy. In California they once banned cooking with saturated fats and forced restaurants to use unsaturated fats because the science was settled that saturated fats where less healthy. Some scientists still try to push this nonsense.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course there's no consensus on that, but it's been said for years

In 2007 the head of the IPCC said that "If there’s no action before 2012, that’s too late. What we do in the next two to three years will determine our future. This is the defining moment"

in 2009 they said it was even worse than everyone thought and that if they didn't dramatically reduce emissions before 2020 at the absolute latest that it would be too late and we're all dead.

in 2012 they started saying that it was too late and we're doomed.

In April of this year people were doubling down on the notion that it's already too late and that we're doomed.

I mean, those things ARE being said by climate scientists so which of them do we call BS on and which do we pay attention to?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You actually don't need to say anything if you support a party whose current plan is to dig up coal and burn it. We know for a fact what that does to the environment. Get your mask ready!

u suck noodles at grammar and spelling apparently. So the doctor diagnoses you and it sounds like if it's not what you want to hear then you go and get another opinion...what if every doctor...6 or 7 out of 10 doctors tell you the problem is brain cancer...but you want to believe the one doctor that tells you your just having migraines. That's your train of thought here.

They have diagnosed and they have thoroughly explained themselves. You've just chosen to ignore it.

Science never pretends to be right all the time, they inform you based on the knowledge that they do have. You can make this argument with any thing man.

It doesn't disprove what they have proved.

superfob likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well none of that actually contradicts this...
    And reading through those none of them said we are all dead or doomed.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

And the one doctor that's saying migraines is completely funded by Tylenol.

JayGoogle likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I've dipped into it. Just have to say that video is gold. Absolute comedy gold. thanks for posting it.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All of them are predicting a "point of no return" and are suggesting that unless their economic policies that will bankrupt the country and greatly harm the poor are implemented immediately (or within the next 4 years) then we'll hit that "point of no return" and we're all dead. Given that developing countries are going to continue to develop and thus create more of a carbon footprint, there's really no way of stopping that from happening even if the US bankrupts themselves and harms the poor.....so yeah, in reality, they are preaching that we are all doomed.

Which is why I say, if that is true (and I don't believe it really is), then why do all of that? If disaster is coming, why cause economic disaster now as well?

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No they never said that we are all dead or that there will be a human extinction....but in the grand scheme of things unless we can escape the planet we will all be dead any ways. So why do anything at all really? You are going to die bobby so why not just do cocaine? Well that's illegal but why not just smoke and drink your life away? See the problem here?

I will give you that some on the left say that or fear monger of an apocalypse...but that doesn't make the threat of climate change any less real.

14. tallanvor

we actually don't know how badly coal hurts the environment. what we know is it cheap which is great fr low income families.

if 6 out 7 doctors say i need brain surgery, they will still have to answer my questions about what my health issue is and how the brain surgery will help before i agree to let them cut into my brain. You on the other hand seem to think this is being part of diagnosis because you don't know how to read.

The point was that what people often claim is scientific consensus is often a lie. Like how you are lying now.

The fact you think that surveys/polls is evidence enough to pass legislation spending trillions of dollars shows you probably shouldn't be voting.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Have you seen China? People literally wear masks around the city. We actually do know that it hurts the environment, what are you talking about?

Well you are silly enough to question the opinion of 6 of 7 doctors. I'm not. So that's the difference here, guess I'm smart enough to realize i'm not a doctor and to trust them on the matter of my health than my gut feeling. Guess you are dumb enough not to since we are insulting each other's intelligence here.

Lol, how am I lying?

Surveys and polls? Science cites RESEARCH for man-made climate change man. You are just ignoring it.

16. dmoneybangbang

Natural gas is cheaper and renewable energy in Texas and California has caused the cost energy to be negative quite a few times already in 2016. You seem to be about 8 years behind what's happening in the energy world.

17. dmoneybangbang

Free market solution is to put a price on pollution and stop with the piles of rules and regulation.

Taxes discourage behavior. Carbon taxes are smart as it puts a price on pollution. Income taxes are stupid since it taxes productivity.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The president of the Sierra Club is not whom should be speaking to congress about climate change. This is a scientific debate, not a political one. And he is not a scientist who is capable of answer these types of questions. He's be set-up as a stooge for Cruz.

I don't really espouse specific policy shifts around climate change other than to do research into how we can lower CO2 levels. But the right wing is so scared they deny it is even happening. It is happening. There is no hiatus - we have had a string of nearly two years of consecutive monthly increases in GLOBAL temperature records. Why deny this? The goal isn't to limit industry, it's just to know effing reality!

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

actually, it's a policy debate. Science informs policy, but science cannot dictate policy.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether global warming is happening or not is a scientific one, not a political one. It's only anti-science people who think this is a policy debate.