1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clemens moves to #2 on the all-time strikeout list

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sonique15, May 5, 2004.

?

Who's the best pitcher of all time?

1. Cy Young

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Nolan Ryan

21 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Roger Clemens

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Randy Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sandy Koufax

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Associated Press
    HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens moved past Steve Carlton for second place on the career strikeout list with his 4,137th on Wednesday night.

Clemens struck out Raul Mondesi swinging in the fifth inning of the Houston Astros' game against the Pittsburgh Pirates to pass the Hall of Fame left-hander.

The crowd at Minute Maid Park gave Clemens a long standing ovation after he fired the 89 mph split-fingered pitch past Mondesi. Clemens briefly acknowledged the cheers by tipping his cap to the fans.

Soon after, Clemens added No. 4,138 by getting Craig Wilson swinging at similar a pitch.

The six-time Cy Young Award winner entered the game 5-0 and was trying to become the first six-game winner in the majors.

Chili Davis leads the list of Clemens' favorite strikeout victims with 30. Jose Canseco is second with 25. The Rockets has also struck out eight Hall of Famers, including Robin Yount, Paul Molitor and Carlton Fisk.

Holy cow......Roger Clemens is amazing.....talk about a great pick up........thank u Mr. Pettite.

2. haven

haven Member

I think there's a bias in your list towards more recent pitchers.

Nolan Ryan is not one of the top 5 pitchers ever. Period. He's certainly a hall of famer, but there are quite a few people who deserve to be in your poll more than him. I'm not sure that Randy Johnson is either, though I'd have to look at it more closely to be certain.

3. Chump

Chump Member

no Tom Seaver?
    Walter Johnson?
    Christy Mathewson?
    Warren Spahn?
    Bob Gibson ?
    Steve Carlton ?
    Bob Feller ?

I thought maybe ytou were going for best modern day pitcher, but you have Cy Young there

anyways

Best pitcher of ALL time? Walter Johnson

Best pitcher of the modern era? Roger Clemens or Tom Seaver, too close to call

4. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

yeah so i screwed up my poll......i had a long day..... no one wuz comin to mind.......jus had 2 finals too......give the poor college student a break

5. rudager

rudager Member

I'm not even sure that Cy Young belongs on a list like this. As Curt Schilling would say, he was playing in an era of what was essentially sandlot ball.

Koufax always comes up. Clemens for this era. I always hear Lefty Grove mentioned, but I know nothing about him.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

How can anyone vote for Cy Young? Who has honestly seen him pitch a whole game much less an entire season or his entire career? I dont understand how anyone can vote for a person that they have never seen pitch. I could never vote for Koufax, Spahn, or anyone else of that era simply because I have never seen them pitch. I cant say how dominate they were or what kind of competition they were up against.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you saying that you don't think anyone could vote for Babe Ruth, Ted Williams or Ty Cobb (for example) as the greatest hitter ever because they never saw them play?

I guess that leaves Jesus and Mohammed out of the voting for greatest religious influence ever.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ummmm..here's my vote:

Babe Ruth

oh, yeah...and Jesus on the religious thingie.

9. Master Baiter

I'm saying that it is hard to evaluate any of these if you have never seen them play. I cant say that Babe Ruth or Ted Williams is better than Willie Mays or Hank Aaron. I cant say that any of them are better than Barry Bonds or A-Rod. I can say that I think Barry Bonds is a better hitter than A-Rod because I have seen both of them play. I have just never been able to understand how someone can make a case for someone that they have never seen.

On the other hand, I can say that Ted Williams hitting .400 for a season is amazing. I can say that Hank Aaron hitting 755 HR's for a career is amazing. I still never saw them play and I cant make an opinion on how they stack up against the players of today because I never saw them.

The difference between baseball and religion is that religion is based on faith. Baseball is a combination of statistics and subjectivity.

10. MadMax

I don't know..I think you can look at numbers...take into account other circumstances...and come to some conclusions.

Babe was hitting more homers than teams in the league at the time. He was so dramatically better than those in the era he played in, that I don't think there's a legit argument that keeps him from being clearly the greatest baseball player, ever. That, and the social impact he had on the game in the wake of the Black Sox scandal.

11. Master Baiter

I'm not doubting their greatness by any means. In their time, they were by far the best players.

12. MadMax

i think you judge players relative to the players in their era. i can't compare head to head numbers of Bonds v. Ruth...so i'm forced to ask how Ruth compared with his contemporaries and how Bonds compared with his contemporaries...and then draw conclusions from that...again, taking into consideration all the circumstances.

13. Master Baiter

I am somewhat split on that. I dont think Babe Ruth would be as dominating a player now. He was a fat ass. Pitchers are stronger. There are relief pitchers. Scouting is better. Etc. I think players are better today because the competition is so much more fierce.

14. MadMax

which is why i think you can only judge players relative to their era...and then compare across. what would babe have been with the technology that the game has today for players? who knows...but you're only looking at half of the equation..that the players today might be better...without considering that if babe played today, he too would have those advantages.

fat ass or not...the guy was a great pitcher as well. john kruk was a fat ass, but dude could flat out hit.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

By relative standards in an era, Nolan Ryan is 1,700 K's above the next greatest pitcher and Hall of Famer, Roger Clemens. I think he could be considered as greatest pitcher of all time very easily. The Strikeout is the signature stat for pitchers. He dominated.

16. MadMax

the strikeout is not the signature stat...ERA relative to ERA's around the league contemporaneously is the signature stat.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Seriously, you think pitchers around the world brag about era before strikeouts? While era may be more important to a team, the k is the signature stat from little league right on up.

18. Buck Turgidson

Late in his career he was heavy, but he was also in his late 30's and not taking care of himself. But, for whatever reason, that's the Babe Ruth people think of. He was by no means a schlob, and was an incredible athlete (having John Goodman play him in the movie "Babe" was a total joke).

Ruth in his prime:
    [​IMG]

19. kevwun

kevwun Member

Does owning the homerun record make Hank Aaron the greatest hitter ever? No, it doesn't and strikeouts don't make Nolan Ryan the greatest pitcher ever. Nolan Ryan never consistently stood out as the best pitcher of his era so there's no way he can be considered the greatest ever.

20. MadMax

you're talking about bragging rights. if a guy strikes out 20 guys but still gives up 7 runs over 9 innings, who the hell cares? the object of the pitcher is to keep the other team from scoring, and if possible, keep them from getting on base at all.

strikeouts are nice...but they're no more valuable than a lazy pop fly to the second baseman.